Does Burley hold a grudge against Rangers ?

Jimenez

Burley is beyond woeful and incompetent, but I'm not sure I can really argue with Marshall over Alexander. Alexander only played about 10+ games last season, and wasn't particularly special in any of them.

Marshall has been Cardiff #1 for a while far as I know, in a league considerably better than the SPL.

Alexander is more used to big match situations than Marshall. He is also much better at coming for crosses than him (or McGregor for that matter). This is vital tonight as Norway will be doing what Egil Olsen always does and pump high balls into Carew (which is why the Chuckle brothers won't know how to deal with him)

Marshall was in a team that were relegated from the championship last season. Alexander has been playing for a team that has won four trophies in 2 years and got to a UEFA Cup Final. it's a no brainer unless your name is George Burley

Alexander has played about 30 matches in total for us at a lower level than the championship. He's had teams like St Mirren and Falkirk come at him while Marshall has had quality sides like Birmingham and Burnley to face - for 80 odd matches with Norwich. And then won a move back to that league.

I refuse to allow blue tinted specs to cloud this one.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont drop people in at the deep end in win or bust away matches i think scotland are going to get gubbed

which should see this clown sacked

He wont get sacked.

The SFA wont admit they were wrong in appointiung him.

Look at the shambles that was Berti Vogts and they still never sacked him. He walked away after geting spat on.

Shockingly I again agree with Burley :(

Norway will have pacey guys up front, strong guys such as Carew. I'm not sure 98 year old ever present Weir will be up to the task tbh. He doesn't have a Bougherra to bail him out.

So you'd pick Marshall ahead of Alexander and you reckon S.Caldwell is a better shout than Sir David of Weir ?

Away have a lie down Danny!

Weir is slow. Carew isn't. I don't agree on S. Caldwell specifically but Weir wouldn't be up to Carew given he has had a full pre-season with no breaks. And like I say, doesn't have Bougherra to fall back on.

Usually I agree with you Danny but not on this occassion

Fair enough :)

The Sir David of Weir one is baffling tbh.

There aren't many players who are willing to continue playing for their country being told to take a back seat.

Particularly when they have more than proven their fitness in the season just finished.

It's not a bounce game to test players/tactics. He needs proven internations players.

Norway will have pacey guys up front, strong guys such as Carew. I'm not sure 98 year old ever present Weir will be up to the task tbh. He doesn't have a Bougherra to bail him out.

You'd pick Steven Caldwell ahead of Davie Weir?

Nope.

So then you disagree with Burley? <cr>

Burley is beyond woeful and incompetent, but I'm not sure I can really argue with Marshall over Alexander. Alexander only played about 10+ games last season, and wasn't particularly special in any of them.

Marshall has been Cardiff #1 for a while far as I know, in a league considerably better than the SPL.

I disagree on both fronts.....

Alexander has more experience and overall ability than marshall will ever have.

The over hyping of the championship seems to continue on this forum unabated……

So you'd pick Marshall ahead of Alexander and you reckon S.Caldwell is a better shout than Sir David of Weir ?

Weir is slow. Carew isn't. I don't agree on S. Caldwell specifically but Weir wouldn't be up to Carew given he has had a full pre-season with no breaks. And like I say, doesn't have Bougherra to fall back on.

Aren't there people on this thread forum saying Davie Weir should leave because he's too old and aint got the pace anymore??

That it was outragious that he was asked to play in all the pre season games even two games in a row??

And now moaning because he is being left out the Scotland team, which would only add to the too many games he has already played

George Burley :anguish:

Remember people were touting him for the Rangers job when him and his refugees went on that 10 game winning streak? :wanker:

In 46 league appearances last year for Norwich, he kept 8 clean sheets in a relegated team. Apart from that fluky Barcelona game, he's a proven bottle merchant. Wonder what the odds are that Scotland keep a clean sheet tonight?

Cardiff or Rangers keeper...unbelievable :rolleyes:

Aren't there people on this thread forum saying Davie Weir should leave because he's too old and aint got the pace anymore??

That it was outragious that he was asked to play in all the pre season games even two games in a row??

And now moaning because he is being left out the Scotland team, which would only add to the too many games he has already played

Maybe davie and walter know more about our captains level of fitness than people on MB’s….

At the end of the day, if Weir's saying he's okay then he's okay.

I was surprised that he played twice in two days, but I think it came to light that he doesn't really do much training anyway, so it's not a problem.

As far as Burley goes....:anguish:

Alexander is more used to big match situations than Marshall. He is also much better at coming for crosses than him (or McGregor for that matter). This is vital tonight as Norway will be doing what Egil Olsen always does and pump high balls into Carew (which is why the Chuckle brothers won't know how to deal with him)

Marshall was in a team that were relegated from the championship last season. Alexander has been playing for a team that has won four trophies in 2 years and got to a UEFA Cup Final. it's a no brainer unless your name is George Burley

Alexander has played about 30 matches in total for us at a lower level than the championship. He's had teams like St Mirren and Falkirk come at him while Marshall has had quality sides like Birmingham and Burnley to face - for 80 odd matches with Norwich. And then won a move back to that league.

I refuse to allow blue tinted specs to cloud this one.

Danny, you must remember that Alexander was involved in our run to the the UEFA Cup Final, and also in Champions league, big games against celtic and also in cup finals. What has Marshall played in?! Celtic are a much bigger team than either of Birmingham or Burnley! and playing in the pressures of Rangers shows hes up for big games as all Rangers games are big and the pressure is always on to keep a clean sheet. Compared to Marshall who was in a relagated team from the Championship! Even if he did play against the "big teams" he obviously didn't do that well if his side was relagated.

At the end of the day, if Weir's saying he's okay then he's okay.

(tu)

That should be all Burley needs to know.

He didn't say it was Weir's performance or fitness that he was concerned about. Just his age. <cr>

burley managing at this level is a fucking joke, he is a championship man at best, he is turning us into a joke again and wont be long till we slip right down the rankings again

I have to agree that Alexander would be the better choice, but if Marshall plays it's a simple case of pecking order & it's only fair. Had Alexander been 3rd choice keeper he would be playing ahead of Marshall. It's not exactly confusing.

In 46 league appearances last year for Norwich, he kept 8 clean sheets in a relegated team.

Aye, but some of them were against “quality” like Birmingham and burnley…… <cr>

Did Burley say this? i haven't read any articles on what he said about it.

I don't think Burley has a grudge against Rangers. That's the kind of speil we hear from their side all too often, I don't buy it from them and I don't buy it from us.

Sadly though I don't think Burley is as good a manager as he thinks he is. That said, I will support whatever team he picks, because he is the manager.

I can understand the Alexander-Marshall argument, and I agree with not picking Weir. As for the people who mention McCulloch, well the fact of the matter is he isn't Rangers class, let alone Scotland class.

If the team posted is correct then I do argee it's not our best. Callum Davidson is a shocking decision, and Steven Whittaker has done far more to merit a starting slot there. Rest of the back line is fine IMO. We have to concede we don't have world class CB's, but Caldwell and Caldwell have been chosen to keep big strong John Carew in check. Good call I hope. Hutton is an obvious choice.

Midfield will always include Brown and Fletcher. McCormack out wide is a good call IMO and Commons is also fine. As for Alexander in the holding role, I can't fathom it really. We know the Norwegians will play 4-5-1 so I see no need for him there. Hartley isn't starting because he hasn't played, fair enough. We have also lost Ferguson for reasons we all know. But I would go with 4-4-2, shifting to a 4-4-1-1 and have McFadden instead of Alexander.

As for Miller upfront, we all know that was a given.

As like all bears, I would love to see a Scotland squad filled with Rangers players. But can we really say Naismith and Fleck have played enough to merit a starting berth? Some of us, quite forgivabley, have blue tinted spectacles when it comes to Scotland.

'Mon the Scots! :scot:

Didn't read all the posts guys/girls -- just the first page. I had to post since I am raging at this decision. Neil takes our famous club to a UEFA F*cking final. Was instrumental in our run in for the title 2008/09. And Burley chooses a no mark? Someone that has done f*ck all?

Sorry... Burley has shown his true colours here. Anti Rangers, anti competent.... anti everything.

What do you think Walter thinks?

EDIT: But CMON Scotland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Burley is a joke of the highest order!

This guy danny! is he related to burley? Quality teams like burnley and brimingham ffs! You realy dont aspire to much if you think these are quality sides!

Burley is an arse. hes always been an arse! kris boyd's record at international level was good, even watty played him in big games! Burley looks along the bench sees 1 true goalscorer or some cunt fae planet of the apes! and who does he put on! He has a very strange mindset. Personaly i think he wants the "Burley is the man" headlines tommorow! The wow that was a great team selection! I laughed when i herd its to do with the pecking order on here! Cladwell hasnt been in the sqauds yet replaces weir! Its a joke, our country's a joke thank fuck im British and can cheer on 4 teams

What do you think Walter thinks?

I'd like to think that Walter is extremely happy that Weir isn't in Norway. Other than that I doubt he really gives a shit. He'll obviously be interested in the game & how our players get on, but at the end of the day Walter's got more things to worry about than muppet boy Burley putting Marshall between the sticks over Alexander.