Velicka injury; out for rest of season

DC Blue

Just read that Velicka who came on as a sub for Bristol City tonight suffered a bad injury. Stretchered off and looks like he could be out for a while.

Hope things aren't as bad as first thought, but if so hope for a speedy recovery!

City suffer Velicka blow

New signing sustains suspected ligament damage

Last updated: 18th August 2009

Velicka: Injury blow

Bristol City's new signing Andrius Velicka could be facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after suffering suspected knee ligament damage.

The season-long loan arrival from Rangers was carried off in the 75th minute of the 1-0 win over QPR on Tuesday night just 11 minutes after being introduced from the bench.

Nicky Maynard grabbed a late winner for the Robins in their Championship clash, but boss Gary Johnson admitted he now fears he could be without Velicka for some time.

Pretty serious

He said: "While we are delighted with the win and Nicky's fantastic late strike, our thoughts are with Andrius.

"It's a bad break for us but even worse for the lad himself.

"There was no contact involved when he went down, which is always a worry, and it looks pretty serious.

"I thought our first-half display was outstanding and just lacked the finishing touches to some great moves.

"In the end Nicky has come up with a special winning goal and we held on as Rangers threw everything at us during seven minutes of injury time."

Fine line

Maynard's rocket shot from the edge of the box on 78 minutes followed his last-gasp winner against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

It left Rangers boss Jim Magilton disappointed, but far from down-hearted despite three Championship games without a win.

He said: "If we keep playing like that a victory will come and that's all we need to get us going.

"There is such a fine line between success and failure in this league and at the moment we aren't quite getting the breaks.

"The bad injury to their player actually came at a time when we were on top and the stoppage allowed them to draw breath and regroup.

"We had a great chance when we hit a post in the second half and that is the difference for us at the moment."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11726_5499315,00.html

It's a shame for both Rangers and Bristol and it's unfortunate for the guy on a personal level.He must have been relishing a fresh start and the prospect of regular first team football-something he's not had for years.I actually quite liked him as a player as well,a bit too slow but knew how to hit the ball.

who gives a fuck

Because he is not part of Smith's plans so the ideal situation would have been for him to have a successful loan spell and then we could sell him or at least permanently lose his wage bill.Quite important considering our current financial constraints I'm sure you'll agree?A serious injury so early on is the worst outcome as he will most likely come back to Rangers and be on sick pay and won't even have had any English football experience under his belt.

Why did I have to even explain that? <cr>

This is why we should have sold him, even if it was for nothing more than a nominal fee.

It was rumoured that we would save £500,000 in wages with Velicka moving.

Now we will have to find that £500,000 somewhere else.

I think insurance covers players wages when they are out injured, does it not?

This is why we should have sold him, even if it was for nothing more than a nominal fee.

Thats what I was just about to post mate.

it did when stefan klos was out injured but maybe we only insure key players?

I am sure in any loan deal, Bristol would be paying his wages, he is contracted now to them

until the end of the season, so they are liable for his wages, not rangers

I am sure in any loan deal, Bristol would be paying his wages, he is contracted now to them

until the end of the season, so they are liable for his wages, not rangers

Remember it is Rangers! We are paying half Websters wages while he is on loan to Dundee Utd, I think we paid all of another players wages when he was on loan elsewhere. We pay people to leave the club so who knows.

The insurance will cover his wages anyway, that’s why players have medicals.

The scream could be heard around the ground, not nice and a great Shame really as he look pretty good.

typical, Gary Johnson breaks one of his golden rules and signs a season long loan and he lasts for 5mins.

Andrius Velicka's season is over after a scan confirmed he suffered an Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury on his City debut against QPR.

The 30-year-old Lithuanian international twisted awkwardly before collapsing to the ground just five minutes after coming off the substitutes bench, and was stretchered off in immense pain.

The on-loan Rangers striker went for a scan today, which confirmed the extent of the injury.

Manager Gary Johnson told bcfc.co.uk tonight: "We're absolutely gutted for Andrius.

"This was a new start for him with a season-long loan here in Bristol. He'd brought his family down and after five minutes of his first game for the club he suffers this injury.

"We're absolutely gutted for Andrius."

Gary Johnson

"He's 30 and has time to build his knee back up. But it is a long road back, just ask Ribs (Christian Ribeiro) or Jordan (Walker) who have had the injury. It's a terrible injury for a professional footballer."

Just days ago the City boss had declared himself happy with his squad and the seven signings he had made during the transfer window.

Reflecting on the situation now, Gary said: "We're back to square one as it were.

"Other people are going to have to step up to fill the void, like John Akinde did against Crystal Palace before Andrius' arrival.

"We'll keep looking for that club for our golf bag, but we'll do it as and when we can."

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...1761469,00.html

Terrible news :(