The broad Church of modern day Rangers fans

following on from Minstrals thread it has become clear that the media's image of the modern day Rangers support is at least 20 years out of date.

We all know what our history and traditions are - and I'm not saying their is anything wrong with it. There are wide views and opinions surrounding our Protestant heritage and wether it is relevant anymore and this is the way it should be - the world, and this message board would be a little boring if everyone agreed.

We should band together, celebrate our past and move forward to the future as a tolerant support rather than the bigots we are made out to be. Accept that the World has moved on since the old days but in no way forget our history and tradition. We are all Rangers fans after all and this antagonism in unnecessary, our club has enough enemies without our support splitting into factions.

We Are The People

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post aswell as minstrals. Dont like to see the work bigots in these post though.... I like to call it a good upbringing

I am not calling anyone a bigot - I am just on about the media, press, public's perception of us as a fanbase

yeah they keep throwing mud at us just to keep peoples eyes away from the truth

following on from Minstrals thread it has become clear that the media's image of the modern day Rangers support is at least 20 years out of date.

We all know what our history and traditions are - and I'm not saying their is anything wrong with it. There are wide views and opinions surrounding our Protestant heritage and wether it is relevant anymore and this is the way it should be - the world, and this message board would be a little boring if everyone agreed.

We should band together, celebrate our past and move forward to the future as a tolerant support rather than the bigots we are made out to be. Accept that the World has moved on since the old days but in no way forget our history and tradition. We are all Rangers fans after all and this antagonism in unnecessary, our club has enough enemies without our support splitting into factions.

We Are The People

We have moved on, as all religions are welcome at our club. But we will never band together as a support the reason being that some fans dont want anything to do with our Protestant past and traditions. People can put a spin on it, but we are known as a Protestant club all over the world, yet some fans seem ashamed of that fact. People should never forget that its was Protestant fans who helped build our club into the great club, and that includes our fathers and grandfathers. Its sad to say but all the attacks from the media, newspapers and goverment and Eufa are all from catholics who hate what we stand for. In this country it now seems to be a crime to say you are a Protestant Rangers fan. They keep coming after all our songs yet turn a blind eye to the scum who sing songs about bombers who blow up innocent people, yet some of our fans sit back and accept anything flung at us. That is why we will always have a divided support as most of us will fight back, and defend our culture, and to do otherwise would be a sell out to all our absent bears who gave all their life to our club.

We Are The People

We have moved on, as all religions are welcome at our club. But we will never band together as a support the reason being that some fans dont want anything to do with our Protestant past and traditions. People can put a spin on it, but we are known as a Protestant club all over the world, yet some fans seem ashamed of that fact. People should never forget that its was Protestant fans who helped build our club into the great club, and that includes our fathers and grandfathers. Its sad to say but all the attacks from the media, newspapers and goverment and Eufa are all from catholics who hate what we stand for. In this country it now seems to be a crime to say you are a Protestant Rangers fan. They keep coming after all our songs yet turn a blind eye to the scum who sing songs about bombers who blow up innocent people, yet some of our fans sit back and accept anything flung at us. That is why we will always have a divided support as most of us will fight back, and defend our culture, and to do otherwise would be a sell out to all our absent bears who gave all their life to our club.

I dont think any Rangers fan is ashamed of our Protestant past - there are some, myself included, who dont like the anti-Catholic stuff which is still ongoing. The problem of banding together is on both sides, some of the traditional fans still equate pro-Protestantism with anti-Catholicism and this just does not sit right with some people

The media have came after the club but if we banish our more darker side to the past then they cant touch us and maybe they will move onto Celtic fans and their darker side. There is no problem with celebrating out Protestant history unless that leads onto ant-Catholocism and bigotry which has no place in modern society

We Are The People

I dont think any Rangers fan is ashamed of our Protestant past - there are some, myself included, who dont like the anti-Catholic stuff which is still ongoing. The problem of banding together is on both sides, some of the traditional fans still equate pro-Protestantism with anti-Catholicism and this just does not sit right with some people

The media have came after the club but if we banish our more darker side to the past then they cant touch us and maybe they will move onto Celtic fans and their darker side. There is no problem with celebrating out Protestant history unless that leads onto ant-Catholocism and bigotry which has no place in modern society

how can we banish our songs to suit members of the mhedia? it dosent matter if its derrys walls or the sash or any song we are hammered. tarred as bigots and the rest yet most of our songs sing in praise of british history and i for once shall never be silenced at the games until i am no more

We Are The People

how can we banish our songs to suit members of the mhedia? it dosent matter if its derrys walls or the sash or any song we are hammered. tarred as bigots and the rest yet most of our songs sing in praise of british history and i for once shall never be silenced at the games until i am no more

nothing wrong with Derry's Walls or The Sash (barring add-ons). The media have come after The Billy Boys and, quite rightly, the FTP and paramilitary stuff - which has no place in modern society. This is the stuff we need to be well rid of without sacrficing our Protestant identity

We Are The People

Sorry, but its folk like you that propagate and support the views that we are indeed bigots - there's nothing wrong with our traditions and heritage and nothing wrong with supporting and defending them.

Mind you, shouldn't really need to say all that on a Rangers site....

I respect the club's/fans' culture without sharing all of it personally. I sing the songs without necessarily believing everything i sing.

I have an unconditional love for Rangers and other that i keep my politics, religion etc seperate from football.

We Are The People

Sorry, but its folk like you that propagate and support the views that we are indeed bigots - there's nothing wrong with our traditions and heritage and nothing wrong with supporting and defending them.

Mind you, shouldn't really need to say all that on a Rangers site....

I didn't call anyone a bigot - I said that there is a perception of us in the media as being bigots and that view is outdated.

I also said there is nothing wrong with being proud of our Protestant traditions

I respect the club's/fans' culture without sharing all of it personally. I sing the songs without necessarily believing everything i sing.

I have an unconditional love for Rangers and other that i keep my politics, religion etc seperate from football.

I have no problem with that, its when fans attack our culture and traditions that annoys me. :)

We Are The People

Great Post :praise: :praise:

No matter how "tolerant" or "multicultural" our support become the attacks on our club from the bheasts and their allies will never stop. The reason we are open to all these attacks and allegations is because our support and those in charge of the club have become more divided than the bheasts. Celtic fans and staff are generally united in their defence in what they see as a right to celebrate their Irish nationalist Catholic heritage whilst our clubs heirarchy are happy to see our club be dragged down the gutter by hate villed vermin like Spiers. Why should I become ashamed of my heritage? Why should I go quiet and be tolerant of terrorist supporters?

nice post. I have always been miffed when in the last few years I hear the wider public and Media glamorize celtic and wax poetic about their Irish traditions( not knowing what they really are) while castigating us as a bunch of knuckle dragging bigots (who openly hate catholics and look how awful they are) giving Scotland a bad name. I think its about time that we as Rangers supporters as a whole unite and celebrate the fact we are a British club with Protestant roots and be proud of that and not afraid at what the media might write

We Are The People

Good post.

We have never had a united support for a long time, and in my opinion we never will have.

That really disturbs me if that is true Mistral. Sometimes I feel we should stop feeling like we should apologize all the time and just get on with it. our club traditions are protestand and Im not ashamed of that

We Are The People

Minstral i am on your side here but what exactly do you do other than preach to the members of Rangersmedia about the situation we are in. I am not trying to be cheeky just interested?

We Are The People

agreed i don't like when people shout FTP don't mind people saying FTRA totally different because they are terrorists but knowing that a catholic could be sitting next to you and your shouting FTP would that no make u feel bad. It would make me feel shite no problem with singing up the falls derry's walls nothing offensive there i do it myself but i NEVER shout FTP and the vatican same with singing derry's walls no problem no sectarian as recently said the NOTW. earlier don't care about saying f***** because i take it in the context that it is a supporter, politician whatever of irish republicanism which i hate because they take the huff because they don't have northern ireland while the people of northern ireland are happy to stay part of the united kingdom so they start a civil war fukin well done SCUM and the worst of it they asked the army for help we gave them help and how did they repay fuking starting shooting us i hate being called a bigot because i am anti-republican i ain't a protestant i ain't anti-catholic i am a proud scottish and british rangers fan