Steven Davis and Kris Boyd injury updates

weejimmy

its not looking good at all, heard boyd was out on my way home from work :(

hopefully novo is fit for saturday.

when is beasley & mendes gonne be back?

Was thinking the same thing, wasn't Mendes due back around now?

i thought mendes would have been back before now! same as beasley, when he got injured it was only ment to be 2 weeks!

i am starting to wonder about the medical issues we are having getting players fit.

thompson is suppose to be fit, he didnt look it on sunday!

Thomson hasn't looked right since he came back only matches will get him back to normal, unfortunately he wont be back to his best for a while if he stays injury free I am going to say it will be next season before he is playing really well again. Mendes was always supposed to be coming back mid January.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are right he does owe it to rangers and the supporters to show why Walter brought him to Rangers.

but if he doesn't do it in the games that Boyd is out, questions must have to be asked of his ability!

time will tell.

I know a lot of people will turn their back on the idea that the onus is on us to get behind Lafferty. He is after all the panto villain of Scottish football. A cheat. A fraud. An expensive flop. Arrogant. Well, for some anyway......

I don't view Lafferty that way though. I view Lafferty as a young guy who has endured stinking bad luck since signing for Rangers coupled with mistakes he's made that have snowballed out of control in terms of how he is portrayed by the media and fans. That's not to say he's an innocent victim, he has of course made mistakes along the way, but for me he's not come close to being given a fair chance.

There are 3 elements that for me should be taken into account when judging Lafferty.

Injuries- No sooner had he arrived than he suffered an injury that kept him out for a long spell. Injuries were to plauge him during his first season, and again in the early part of this season he was out through injury.

Played out wide - Yes, he regularly played here for Burnely.......but I don't care, using my own eyes I see a guy that looks lost out wide, but then looks instantly more confident when played up top, with his touch improving with back to goal and his ability to show pace and strength to take defenders on when facing goal.....as we've seen from him in a Northern Ireland jersey. Lafferty has played the vast majority of his games for Rangers in midfield, and even when played up top it's generally been with Boyd, a partnership that does neither any favours.....for me it's one or the other with Miller/Novo/Naismith.

Bad press and lack of support from fans - He's made mistakes and his performances haven't been good.......but for me this has all snowballed out of control. You'd think he was playing like Sebo and acting like Joey Barton the way some people go on. This must dent your confidence greatly, and when you're a young guy trying to make your mark at Rangers, being asked to play out of position, having struggled with injury.......the last thing you need is to be painted as a villain off the park and feel a complete lack of support from your own fans on the park.

As I've said, Lafferty was played in midfield for the vast majority of the time last season.......yet scored 9 goals for us from there.....a good return for a midfielder. He only started 15 games last season, playing in 31 in total. 9 goals in 31 games, with only 15 of them starts, is a decent contribution.

Kenny Miller, for example, a player I rate and always stand up for, only scored 13 goals last season as a striker in twice the number of starts. 30 starts, 36 appearances in total.

Novo played his first season at Rangers as a striker, but since then like Lafferty has largely played wide in midfield. He's only bettered Lafferty's goal tally last season in 1 of his 4 seasons since then, with 13 goals in our UEFA Cup final season where he made a higher than normal number of appearances, 42 in total.

Lafferty was given a recent opportunity up front this season when he came off the bench against Motherwell and put away two goals. One a Boyd-esque right place right time poacher finish and the other a Miller-esque goal getting in behind the defence and slotting the ball past the keeper one on one.

He will now get a fair opportunity up front. This, in my view, is the first fair opportunity Lafferty will have been given since he's arrived at Rangers. He owes us a run of good performances. But equally, he deserves our full support.

Fucking bang on.

I know a lot of people will turn their back on the idea that the onus is on us to get behind Lafferty. He is after all the panto villain of Scottish football. A cheat. A fraud. An expensive flop. Arrogant. Well, for some anyway......

I don't view Lafferty that way though. I view Lafferty as a young guy who has endured stinking bad luck since signing for Rangers coupled with mistakes he's made that have snowballed out of control in terms of how he is portrayed by the media and fans. That's not to say he's an innocent victim, he has of course made mistakes along the way, but for me he's not come close to being given a fair chance.

There are 3 elements that for me should be taken into account when judging Lafferty.

Injuries- No sooner had he arrived than he suffered an injury that kept him out for a long spell. Injuries were to plauge him during his first season, and again in the early part of this season he was out through injury.

Played out wide - Yes, he regularly played here for Burnely.......but I don't care, using my own eyes I see a guy that looks lost out wide, but then looks instantly more confident when played up top, with his touch improving with back to goal and his ability to show pace and strength to take defenders on when facing goal.....as we've seen from him in a Northern Ireland jersey. Lafferty has played the vast majority of his games for Rangers in midfield, and even when played up top it's generally been with Boyd, a partnership that does neither any favours.....for me it's one or the other with Miller/Novo/Naismith.

Bad press and lack of support from fans - He's made mistakes and his performances haven't been good.......but for me this has all snowballed out of control. You'd think he was playing like Sebo and acting like Joey Barton the way some people go on. This must dent your confidence greatly, and when you're a young guy trying to make your mark at Rangers, being asked to play out of position, having struggled with injury.......the last thing you need is to be painted as a villain off the park and feel a complete lack of support from your own fans on the park.

As I've said, Lafferty was played in midfield for the vast majority of the time last season.......yet scored 9 goals for us from there.....a good return for a midfielder. He only started 15 games last season, playing in 31 in total. 9 goals in 31 games, with only 15 of them starts, is a decent contribution.

Kenny Miller, for example, a player I rate and always stand up for, only scored 13 goals last season as a striker in twice the number of starts. 30 starts, 36 appearances in total.

Novo played his first season at Rangers as a striker, but since then like Lafferty has largely played wide in midfield. He's only bettered Lafferty's goal tally last season in 1 of his 4 seasons since then, with 13 goals in our UEFA Cup final season where he made a higher than normal number of appearances, 42 in total.

Lafferty was given a recent opportunity up front this season when he came off the bench against Motherwell and put away two goals. One a Boyd-esque right place right time poacher finish and the other a Miller-esque goal getting in behind the defence and slotting the ball past the keeper one on one.

He will now get a fair opportunity up front. This, in my view, is the first fair opportunity Lafferty will have been given since he's arrived at Rangers. He owes us a run of good performances. But equally, he deserves our full support.

(tu) Common sense prevails

As much as i agree with everything you say i can understand why some fans are frustrated, considering we dont usually splash out into the million's these days we bought him for £3.75 million? And for that many expected instant performance from him. Plus the issue with fans is that we have to find someone to blame when things are going wrong, if its not lafferty, broadfoot or mcculloch then its get walter sacked etc but we just need to support and not get on everyone's back so often.

this is true but at 6,4 u expect him to win a couple of headers and 50/50s but he seems to back out challenges he needs to pull that big skinny thumb out his arse and prove us all wrong. still think he needs time and maybe needs rested now and then instead of playing every game out of position.

heres hoping the big man turns it around

I just hope Davie Weirs injury isnt too bad and we're not reduced to bringing in Russell Anderson as someone has suggested in the transfer section.

Davie wier injured now aswell? :anguish:

aww ffs :anguish:

Saying that, Celtic are fukin shite, and signing even more shite on a daily basis.

Just what we fucking need :anguish: That leaves us with:

Kenny Miller - In form at the minute but will he be able to play as well without Boyd and can he keep the consistency of his performances up?

Kyle Lafferty - :anguish:

John Fleck - Out with chicken pox and IMO won't be played as an out and out striker.

Nacho Novo - Not really classed as a striker anymore.

Andy Little - IMO he is not good enough and won't score enough goals.

The only positive I can take from this news is the he won't be sold during January.

Our players never return from injury on schedule!

Beasley was suppose to return in 3 weeks but the Rangers website says he's still out. The website said Novo just missed the game yesterday. Mendes was suppose to be back after the Celtic game. :mellow: I can't even remember what happened to Naismith.

Kenny Miller - In form at the minute but will he be able to play as well without Boyd and can he keep the consistency of his performances up?

John Fleck - Out with chicken pox and IMO won't be played as an out and out striker.

The only positive I can take from this news is the he won't be sold during January.

Fleck has chicken pox?

Our players never return from injury on schedule!

Beasley was suppose to return in 3 weeks but the Rangers website says he's still out. The website said Novo just missed the game yesterday. Mendes was suppose to be back after the Celtic game. :mellow: I can't even remember what happened to Naismith.

Beasley said himself that he was not going to be out for 3 weeks. He was back in training the week of the celtc match. He's still not back.

Steven Naismith was supposed to be back for the celtc match, he is still not fit.

Same old at Rangers, and it happens all the time.

Fleck has chicken pox?

That's why he missed the game yesterday.

I still wouldn't rule it out.

I just hope Davie Weirs injury isnt too bad and we're not reduced to bringing in Russell Anderson as someone has suggested in the transfer section.

u got a source/link ref davie wiers injury?

Maybe it's all a sneaky ruse to keep transfer predators at bay?

I'd go with Miller and Fleck up front, wee Fleck's best performance of the season came in the home game where he was actually played in his proper position just off Boyd.