Kenny Miller on returning to Rangers for that 2nd spell, he thinks he's won over

Boab

Michael Grant

Published on 16 Mar 2010

Kenny Miller has played his way out of controversy.

He has scored his way into calm waters. He has seemed to be a senior, established face at Rangers for so long that it is startling to recall the song and dance that was made about them signing him in the first place.

It’s not even two years since some fans were chanting against Miller’s arrival at Ibrox. There was talk of protests. Walter Smith was being told where he could stick his Kenny Miller. One prominent fans’ spokesman was quoted saying: “I think it would go down like a lead balloon.”

For anyone daft enough to believe it, the party line was that Miller’s arrival was opposed because he was not good enough and could not improve a team which was heading towards the 2008 Uefa Cup final. Daniel Cousin, Kris Boyd, Jean-Claude Darcheville and Nacho Novo were all on the books at the time so why did they need Miller? The unrest had nothing to do with the fact it was only a matter of months since he had left Celtic having been deemed to be expendable at Parkhead. Nothing at all. No siree.

And pigs might fly. The protesters were accused of sectarianism – there was no basis for that – but it was clearly Miller’s Celtic background which irritated them even though he had been previously a young, underused Rangers man during Dick Advocaat’s management.

Kenny Miller

Whether or not the fans think I’ve won the debate, I think I’ve won it

Resentment and a level of anger bubbled around Miller for months before his eventual arrival and it continued in his opening, goalless performances. All of that was before August 31, 2008. Celtic 2, Rangers 4 and two second-half goals from the pariah. Hostility evaporated. It was never the same again. Earlier this season he scored another two against Celtic in a 2-1 victory. Airbrushing complete: nowadays his history is barely mentioned.

“Whether or not the fans think I’ve won the debate, I think I’ve won it,” he said yesterday. “I’ve won the league, I’ve won the Scottish Cup and we were so close to the treble last year. This year we’re sitting pretty in the league with one cup final and one quarter-final to look forward to.

“There will always be people who say I’m not deserving to wear the shirt. But I love it here. I’ve come back and been successful and now I want more success. I just the play the game my way and give everything I can. I maybe give more here because I knew I’d come up against a bit of opposition about me coming back.

“But the manager never had any doubts and I never had any doubts. I’d been here before and knew what it was like. I enjoyed my first spell here but it probably ended a bit prematurely.”

Had this thrawn, imperturbable 30-year-old relished the devilment of playing for Rangers, then Celtic, then Rangers again? Apparently not. 
“I always knew it would be tough when 
I returned. I didn’t think: ‘Brilliant, I’ll go back and get stick for weeks!’

“It’s been a fantastic move for me. But I knew it would be when I had the opportunity to come back. I love coming into work every day. It’s a fantastic place to work.

“I didn’t think twice when I had the chance to return to Rangers. Walter always got the best out of me when we worked together with Scotland. Ally McCoist and Tommy Burns [the pair of them assistant to Smith with Scotland] were fantastic with me, too. To get the opportunity to come back here and work with Walter and Ally’s regime was great.”

Rangers have spent £4m on Miller. They signed him for £2m from Hibs in 2000 and sold him to Wolves for £3m 15 months later. It cost another £2m to bring him back from Derby County in 2008. He left as a boy and seven years later he returned as a man. Rangers had changed, too.

“I enjoyed my first spell at Rangers but I’m enjoying this one even more. I’m playing a much bigger role this time. I was only 20 back then and Rangers had Ronald de Boer, Billy Dodds, Rod Wallace, Michael Mols and Tore Andre Flo. I was always going to be down the pecking order. We had a lot of so-called big names but I never won anything in my first year. I left and they won the treble not long afterwards. I thought it was my fault! I left without a medal the first time round.”

He scored 13 times last season and is already on 16 in the current campaign. None of them have come in their journey to Sunday’s Co-operative Insurance Cup final against St Mirren, which is no surprise given that he has not played a minute in the tournament so far. He will parachute into the team for the final, though, intent on collecting the one winner’s medal which has eluded him in Scotland so far. He has won two league titles and two Scottish Cups but was in the Rangers side which lost last year’s Co-op final to Celtic.

“It would be nice to get this one and complete the set. I’ve never won the League Cup.” Miller has yet to score against St Mirren this season which is slightly surprising given that the clubs have already met five times.

“We certainly know what we’re up against. The previous games have been tough and cagey and close. We know what to expect. We usually have meetings to go through the opposition. We probably won’t bother this week!”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/second-time-around-at-ibrox-tastes-even-sweeter-for-kenny-miller-1.1013856?localLinksEnabled=false

In saying that, a few on RM have pointed out that Kenny Miller has never had his name chanted.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PR machine's gone into overdrive since yesterday lunchtime. How about they spend some more time training & practice some of the things we'll need to win a tough game of football on Sunday? All the PR & spin in the world isn't going to win the football match...

He has done a great job for us, but sorry he wore their shirt. So I will never be happy about him. Call me narrow minded if you want it's just the way I look at it.

Indeed (tu). He has played well for us at times and scored important goals especially against the filth, but I could never forget him wearing that rag and scoring against us either.

To me it just means he came to his senses and realised the Gers is the place to be. :P

Seriously,he has played well enough this season and has added a few more goals than usual too.He'll never be a hero of mine but he has won me over. :)

He does a job. At times he's a good player to have, other's he is fcuking awful. Too inconsistant, and struggles with injuries. Won't be hard to replace him, infact the player could already be at the club (Fleck) and I won't shed a tear the day he leaves the club.

Infact, if we were to recieve an offer in the summer, I would sell him as he isn't getting any younger, struggles with injuries, and his contract is running out.

That interview sums up Kenneth perfectly

He doesnt give a shit about Rangers (or Celtc)

He cares about Kenny Miller, its all just a job to him, he will give 100% for his employer be it Rangers or Wolves but its just a job

Ill cheer him when he scores a goal, ill applaud him when he wins a tackle.. ill never sing his name.. i wont givea fuck when he leaves to start his new job

Rangers have spent £4m on Miller. They signed him for £2m from Hibs in 2000 and sold him to Wolves for £3m 15 months later. It cost another £2m to bring him back from Derby County in 2008.

Does that not mean we've spent £1m on him?

Still £1m too much.....

With regards to the article, I think as an article it is total shite, as for Miller I didn't want him for footballing reasons, couldn't give a shit that he played for them, classic example is Mo Jo, imagine if this site was in existence then?

But, congrats where it is due, he has been an important player for us, and Walter has once again gotten the best out of him as he did for Scotland, agree about Fleck being an able replacement and think that if Fleck does stay here beyond the end of next season he will be the long term replacement for Miller.

To be honest, I couldn't give a toss that he played for them. He was with us briefly, as a young lad, and isn't a boyhood Rangers or Celtic supporter. I'd imagine his first stint with us was just a job to him, and his time with the tims was just a job too. This time around he's winning stuff, he's contributed and he's been here a while, bonding with a closeknit team and he seems to care about winning for the club. Couple that with the fact that he's had a great season, works hard and his partnership with Boyd has been invaluable and I'll happily consider him a Rangers player for whom I have a great deal of time.

The goals against Celtic are more than enough for me.

People need to get over it man, so what he played for celtic? when he scores for RANGERS do u mind ? he scored against them 4 times since being back did u mind at that time that he played for them? Tbh apart from davis he is our best player, he gets my 100% backing and i think he should get all of rangers supporters backing .. what is the point in not backing your own player fs

...he's showed WAY more emotion scoring for us against THEM, than he did scoring for them against US!

The fact that you can say that means some of us will never be happy with him being at Ibrox.

But we are a more forgiving people than the other lot Manti. As can be shown by the contrasting reactions Mo Johnston would recieve at the piggery to the one Alfie Conn (grrrrr) gets at Ibrox.