UEFA Cup final 08

dmac456

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i remember right near the end, it was 1-0 and Novo or boyd missed a sitter. Zenit went up the park and scored. I was so depressed and in a foul mood :(. just the fact we didnt score was so sad :(

Havin been really fortunate to get a tiket for the final I had one of the greatest experiences of my life in Manchester. I've travelled with rangers a few times but nothing will ever compare to that day and I don't believe anything ever will. A sea of blue accross the main sqaures, pubs and clubs filled to the gunnels, off licenses empty of alcohol and 250,000 smiling/happy bears. I'm 26 yrs old but I don't think I'll live to see a like that again.

Tremendous achievement by Sir Walter & his merry men. Just a pity we ran out of steam at the end.

This.

I'll never forget that day, or the night Nacho scored that penalty (tu)

We Are The People.

Really? I remember actually seein ppl smashin shop windows n throwing bricks n polis everywhere. If I could relive the day except the end I would, over and over again

aye honestly :lol:

was in the centre the whole night basically and never seen one thing, seen the riot vans driving around like mad but never seen anything. Then was staying in travel lodge at trafford park so got the taxi there and still nout.

The first time I seen was about 9 when we got up and seen the manchester news at the reception.

Same and we were stayin in the Premier inn 10 minutes away from picadilly gardens near the mcdonalds never seen a bit of bother walking back except from riot vans chargin through the place and near enough knocking over a few people

A fantastic achievement to get to the final,

was excited about manchester since getting back from florence,

Drove to manchester with sons and nephew at 04.30 in the morning great to see all the banners and scarves on the motorway we even had guy's passing booze and cd's to each other from the cars in the traffic jam heading into manchester.

sadly i'll always remember walking to the car after the final whisle disappointed at the final score only to have a bottle thrown at us as we passed the wrecked out car. and seeing all the papers print the stuff about the rangers fans.

but what a day who knows we might make another final we live in hope.

everyone goes on about defending and anti-football and in watching the match i was thinking the same. BUT i watched the highlights a few days back and WE had all the chances.

Highlights can tell you anything.

everyone goes on about defending and anti-football and in watching the match i was thinking the same. BUT i watched the highlights a few days back and WE had all the chances.

Highlights can tell you anything.

Zenit were the better side in fairness :(

Until this day I have not watched any footage of it and I don't plan on doing so.

After Piccadilly broke and all the rest of it, me and my Dad couldn't get in anywhere else to see the game. Ended up just coming back up the road at half time. I've only seen a few bits through fences, clips on TV and Radio commentary on the way up. Damn that Radio commentary. There was a bit where the commentator got excited about Rangers, my Dad was so tuned in that he never moved into the left lane, and we ended up heading to Leeds doh

Anyway, point being, i have barely seen the match, but have no intention of watching it.

Great achievement to get there, and i dont think we should have changed tactics for the final. Not many moaned about the same tactics v's Bremen and Fiorentina.

I have watched the game back a couple of times since and it was actually a lot better than i remmebered it being on the night. We did have a few chances and played some decent passing football. The first goal was crucial,it was probably about the first time in the competition that we then had to chase a game and we just couldnt do it.

As for the the day itself.....the best time ever!! :praise: Arrived on Monday, had 3 great nights, not to mention some great sash-bashes. :uk:

Never saw any trouble apart from a bear getting bottled by a Zenit fan on the way to the stadium.

Didn't realise there had been any disorder till the next day in the hotel!

Best European trip ever!! :clap:

This was the greatest and worst day of my life, without a shadow of a doubt.

I'd gone to Barcelona for the Champions' League game and we'd done well, so I was on a downer when we choked and dropped into the UEFA Cup. I was skint and had paid for the home Champions' League games, so I couldn't afford to go to the UEFA Cup ties and I work most week nights, so I didn't even get to see the Panathanikos game. Though, the further we got, the more I tried to book the night off work.

For the game in Bremen, I'll never know how we hung on and I remember McGregor's save like it was a few minutes ago. I also remember having to work on the night that we played in Lisbon, we've only got wee TV's and I almost fell off my chair trying to watch Whittaker's run from our half before he scored.

Fiorentina, though. Unbelievable. I got in from work and Fergie was stepping up to take the first. I remember when Nacho sat the ball on the spot, I pathetically shouted; "Please, Nacho! Please" like a wee lassie. The mother lost a chair in the conservatory that night as a result of my celebrations.

I managed to get a ticket for the final which I felt a little guilty about considering I hadn't been to a UEFA Cup fixture that season, but I'm a season ticket holder; I'd been to the Champions' League games; I'd been to Barcelona and, most of all, I was skint and couldn't afford to go.

The day itself was unreal, like nothing else. I won't explain it because I wouldn't do it justice, but Manchester literally turned blue.

As for the game, I'll always be split in opinion. On one hand, we were far too cautious in what was a once-in-a-lifetime, one-off final. However, a far superior side in Bayern opened-up to Zenit and they were humiliated.

The aftermath with the rioting was crazy. I've got nothing against the Police, I've never had a problem with them, but I witnessed women being heavy-handled and even an Englishman (A Manc, he wasn't a Bear) lifting dosh from an ATM take a batton to the head. The Police came the cunt, so to speak, and took an utter kicking for their trouble.

My biggest regret? Leaving the stadium when they netted the second. I'm ashamed that I did, but I felt like I was watching my own mother being assaulted and being unable to do anything. On the way back to the city centre, for the first time in my adult life, I cried.

As I left the stadium, along with thousands of other Bears, all I could hear was 'Follow, Follow'.

My biggest regret was leaving the hotel I watched the game in before the medals. I left at FT and sat outside and cried for about 10 minutes. To this day I've never seen the team get the medals and it still gets to me. If anyone knows of a video, let me know (tu)

I've seen photos of the players walking around and sitting on the pitch with their medals, but I've never seen a video of them being given them. I've never watched the highlights of the match, either.

After it I was obviously gutted we had lost, but I was still happy we had got there in the 1st place.

I remember walking through Manchester analysing the game with my mate as this chaos went on around, barely noticing it. Pretty surreal.

Only thing thats gutting about it is Novo scored 2 crackers before the final and should have started, but that was a good team and just getting there was some achievement itself

Only downer was the media franzy about the shite after it

Hopefully we make another European Final in my life time