Rangers in Sydney

Ozblue

Ffsssssss! What gd is playing in australia? Against blackburn too ffs.. No chirpy.. Not 1 gd away trip this year..

Pompey loyal.

Fantastic facilities, great weather, beautiful women, cold beer, excellent beaches, large multi-cultural footballing community to promote our Club to, it's not Boston, the bheggars won't be here, I get to have a sash-bash and a night on the tiles in Ol'Sydney Town.....

Jealous much?? :pipe:

Yea, and I don't have to spend 20,000 spondoolicks to go see the Gers like I have to do every couple of years...Sounds like a bargain to me.:lol:(tu):21:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see there being a decent crowd for these games. There's so many ex-pats in Australia it's amazing. When I went to see Scotland play USA in the Rugby World Cup back in 2003 Suncorp was packed to the rafters with Scots. The game against AEK Athens should be interesting because Australia has the largest population of Greeks outside of Greece itself so could have a decent atmosphere going.

I actually remember someone on the site doing an article about what us Bears on foreign soil felt Rangers could be doing better to promote the game and this was one of the things I mentioned. Interest in the game is growing here in Australia with a league that may not be of the highest standards yet but is solid and growing. Not only that Australia being part of the AFC has generated a lot more interest in the national team. I think Rangers could benefit from this occurring after Australia's appearance at the World Cup too. Generally interest in the game is at its peak around World Cup time.

The last Rangers game I was at was 16 years ago so I can't wait for this. Unfortunately due to the expense and work I think I'm going to only be able to make one of the weekend games. This is about the only time I've ever wished I lived in Sydney :P

G'day Oz Bears,

How good will this be. Cant wait.

Still have not seen anything to confirm the game yet.

Ozblue,

Im in the Blue mountains as well. Small world pal!!

Certainly is stewballs...I'm probably a bit further up than you as I'm on the other side of Katoomba.

G'day Oz Bears,

Ozblue,

Certainly is stewballs...I'm probably a bit further up than you as I'm on the other side of Katoomba.

Thats not the Mountains thats the Higlands :P Watch oot fae the sheep (td)

Im lower mountains

I can see there being a decent crowd for these games. There's so many ex-pats in Australia it's amazing. When I went to see Scotland play USA in the Rugby World Cup back in 2003 Suncorp was packed to the rafters with Scots. The game against AEK Athens should be interesting because Australia has the largest population of Greeks outside of Greece itself so could have a decent atmosphere going.

I actually remember someone on the site doing an article about what us Bears on foreign soil felt Rangers could be doing better to promote the game and this was one of the things I mentioned. Interest in the game is growing here in Australia with a league that may not be of the highest standards yet but is solid and growing. Not only that Australia being part of the AFC has generated a lot more interest in the national team. I think Rangers could benefit from this occurring after Australia's appearance at the World Cup too. Generally interest in the game is at its peak around World Cup time.

The last Rangers game I was at was 16 years ago so I can't wait for this. Unfortunately due to the expense and work I think I'm going to only be able to make one of the weekend games. This is about the only time I've ever wished I lived in Sydney :P

Hmmm we might not let you in and send you back to Brisvegas, ya bananabender.I'm on border patrol that morning so make sure you have got your passport and a bottle of Glenfiddich (my personal GST) with you for your entry.(tu)

Sydney FC to host three European teams in pre-season tournament

June 04, 2010

A-League champions Sydney FC will host European clubs Blackburn, Rangers and AEK Athens in a four-team pre-season tournament next month.

Dubbed the "Sydney Festival of Football", Sydney plan to make the competition an annual event with the hope of attracting different overseas clubs each year.

This year's tournament will involve six matches played as three double headers, with Sydney FC to face Greek side AEK Athens in the opener at the Sydney Football Stadium on July 25.

Matches will also be played on July 28 and 31.

The tournament's points structure will be different, with teams awarded a competition point for each goal scored, as well as three for a win and one for a draw.

Football Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley said the tournament would be useful in boosting Australia's bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup with several FIFA delegates due to be in the country during the tournament.

English Premier League side Blackburn is home of Socceroos stars Vince Grella and Brett Emerton, while Rangers are the reigning Scottish Premier League champions.

Sydney will also face Premier League side Everton in a friendly on July 10 as part of a strong pre-season program.

AAP

Sydney FC to face Blackburn, Rangers and AEK Athens in July

Fresh off winning the Hyundai A-League 2010 domestic double, Sydney FC will now test their mettle against some of Europe’s biggest clubs when they take part in the Festival of Football International Club Tournament in July.

Taking place exclusively at the Sydney Football Stadium, the Sky Blues will face the Blackburn Rovers (English Premier League), Glasgow Rangers (Scottish Premier League Champions) and Greek team AEK Athens FC (11 times Greek Champions) in a round robin tournament.

The exciting football concept will feature six round robin matches with competition points accumulated for winning matches and scoring goals. Three (3) points will be awarded for a win, one (1) point for a draw and one (1) point for every goal scored.

The schedule will see two afternoon matches played on Sunday 25 July, two night matches on Wednesday 28 July and two further night matches on Saturday 31 July.

Sunday 25 July:

Game 1 at 12:45pm – Sydney FC v AEK Athens FC

Game 2 at 3pm – Blackburn Rovers v Glasgow Rangers

Wednesday 28 July:

Game 3 at 6pm – AEK Athens FC v Blackburn Rovers

Game 4 at 8:15pm – Sydney FC v Glasgow Rangers

Saturday 31 July:

Game 5 at 5pm – AEK Athens FC v Glasgow Rangers

Game 6 at 7:15pm – Sydney FC v Blackburn Rovers

And the good news doesn’t stop there - with tickets starting at just $29. Each ticket is valid for both games on that specific day and are available from Ticketek.

All current Sydney FC members will also receive discounted ticketing. On sale dates will be confirmed soon.

"This inaugural tournament is the first of what will be an annual tournament in Sydney to attract global football brands each and every year,” said Kristina Keneally, NSW Premier.

“There is no secret Sydney wants to hold the World Cup final and this event will make a strong statement about Sydney as Australia’s home of Football. I would like to extend an invitation to the Scottish, English and Greek communities located across Australia. Book a ticket to Sydney and cheer on your teams.”

Sydney FC CEO Edwin Lugt said the new tournament is a great addition to the Sydney sporting calendar.

“We have agreed with the promoter to be able to provide 2010/11 Sydney FC members with discounted ticketing for this tournament. We have a sensational line-up of preseason fixtures confirmed. This tournament is massive for our fans. The fact that we are A-League champions on top of playing such strong European opposition at our home ground is fantastic,” Lugt said.

“It’s a credit to the NSW Government for supporting this tournament and we are very excited to watch it grow.”

Lugt was joined by Sydney FC coach Vitezslav Lavicka, players Alex Brosque, Terry McFlynn and Liam Reddy, Events NSW CEO Geoff Parmenter, FFA CEO Ben Buckley and SCG Trust CEO Jamie Barkley at this morning’s launch.

Sunday 25 July:

Wednesday 28 July:

Saturday 31 July:

And the good news doesn’t stop there - with tickets starting at just $29. Each ticket is valid for both games on that specific day and are available from Ticketek.

Sydney FC to face Blackburn, Rangers and AEK Athens in July

Fresh off winning the Hyundai A-League 2010 domestic double, Sydney FC will now test their mettle against some of Europe’s biggest clubs when they take part in the Festival of Football International Club Tournament in July.

Taking place exclusively at the Sydney Football Stadium, the Sky Blues will face the Blackburn Rovers (English Premier League), Glasgow Rangers (Scottish Premier League Champions) and Greek team AEK Athens FC (11 times Greek Champions) in a round robin tournament.

The exciting football concept will feature six round robin matches with competition points accumulated for winning matches and scoring goals. Three (3) points will be awarded for a win, one (1) point for a draw and one (1) point for every goal scored.

The schedule will see two afternoon matches played on Sunday 25 July, two night matches on Wednesday 28 July and two further night matches on Saturday 31 July.

Sunday 25 July:

Wednesday 28 July:

Saturday 31 July:

All current Sydney FC members will also receive discounted ticketing. On sale dates will be confirmed soon.

"This inaugural tournament is the first of what will be an annual tournament in Sydney to attract global football brands each and every year,” said Kristina Keneally, NSW Premier.

“There is no secret Sydney wants to hold the World Cup final and this event will make a strong statement about Sydney as Australia’s home of Football. I would like to extend an invitation to the Scottish, English and Greek communities located across Australia. Book a ticket to Sydney and cheer on your teams.”

Sydney FC CEO Edwin Lugt said the new tournament is a great addition to the Sydney sporting calendar.

“We have agreed with the promoter to be able to provide 2010/11 Sydney FC members with discounted ticketing for this tournament. We have a sensational line-up of preseason fixtures confirmed. This tournament is massive for our fans. The fact that we are A-League champions on top of playing such strong European opposition at our home ground is fantastic,” Lugt said.

“It’s a credit to the NSW Government for supporting this tournament and we are very excited to watch it grow.”

Lugt was joined by Sydney FC coach Vitezslav Lavicka, players Alex Brosque, Terry McFlynn and Liam Reddy, Events NSW CEO Geoff Parmenter, FFA CEO Ben Buckley and SCG Trust CEO Jamie Barkley at this morning’s launch.

You saved me from doing that, BS....Thanks mate!(tu)

Thunderbirds are GO:21:

G'day Oz Bears,

Ozblue,

Im lower mountains

Fuckin Higlands my arse...and the only sheep here is on ma dinner plate.:lol:

Lower Mountains??? That means Penrith or that fuckin hill at Blacktown.:lol:

Disappointing the game against Sydney is on a Wednesday. Makes it a bit more difficult for us out of town Bears. I'll probably have to choose between Blackburn or AEK Athens. My parents live Newcastle though so I still might be able to come down for the whole week but just travel from Newcastle to Sydney for the games.

G'day Oz Bears,

Ozblue,

Im lower mountains

:craphead:

G'day Oz Bears,

Ozblue,

Im lower mountains

oh this is going to be amazing....need to all work out where we are sitting to get a good sing song happening, show them what real fans are :)

G'day Oz Bears,

Ozblue,

Im lower mountains

oh this is going to be amazing....need to all work out where we are sitting to get a good sing song happening, show them what real fans are :)

Only one place to buy tickets and that the away end against SFC but for other games NFI

G'day Oz Bears,

Ozblue,

Im lower mountains

Only one place to buy tickets and that the away end against SFC but for other games NFI

The SFC crowd should be in their usual spot at the Cove, but it will be interesting to see the allocations for the other 3 clubs fans.We are going to have 4 different sets of fans in at the same time and if they mix us, Blackburn and AEK fans together, it will be fuckin carnage.

Them Greek fans are mental and I reckon that there must be around 60,00 of them live in the Monterey-Ramsgate-Brighton-Le-sands area alone.Now the SFS holds around 44,000 or there abouts, so we will have to see whether they are going to segregate the fans.

As an observation here....Why do they hold the Sydney FC -Everton game in a stadium that holds 80,000 and put supporters of 4 clubs in a ground that holds 44,000??? seems a bit daft to me. How many fans do they think Everton have over here.:blush:

Oz, there's NRL and AFL matches already booked in for the 25th and 31st of July at ANZ.

I've been to football matches at the MCG and Docklands in Melbourne and, in all honesty, would prefer to see these games played at a rectangular stadium like SFS rather than an oval. You feel miles away from the action, especially if you are sitting behind the goals.

Also, as far as I can tell, the Everton tour is being promoted by a private company, purely as a money-spinner, hence the tickets starting at $50 and topping out at $140 for the Brisbane match.

Oz, there's NRL and AFL matches already booked in for the 25th and 31st of July at ANZ.

I've been to football matches at the MCG and Docklands in Melbourne and, in all honesty, would prefer to see these games played at a rectangular stadium like SFS rather than an oval. You feel miles away from the action, especially if you are sitting behind the goals.

Also, as far as I can tell, the Everton tour is being promoted by a private company, purely as a money-spinner, hence the tickets starting at $50 and topping out at $140 for the Brisbane match.

Now I know why the Everton games are a fuckin ridiculous price with no kids tickets for sale unless you buy a 2 adult& 2 kids family ticket.Thanks for clearing that up for me,robo.(tu)

I'm with you on the rectangle grounds,mate! I've been to many football games at the MCG, ANZ stadium, SCG etc! and it's a shocker, so I'm all for non-oval grounds.The only thing that confused me was the fact that surely the crowd should be more at the Rangers games than the single Everton one, because if you get less than 40,000 at the ANZ then it looks deserted.

Ffsssssss! What gd is playing in australia? Against blackburn too ffs.. No chirpy.. Not 1 gd away trip this year..

Pompey loyal.

There's a big contingent of bears located in Oz. I for one am glad they're getting the opportunity to see their team. We get to see them near enough week in and week out with the prospect of CL games.

I'd rather it was at SFS than ANZ as well. I haven't been to either but I'd rather a rectangle ground. I watched the 2000 Olympics football games at the Gabba in Brisbane and it was awful. I was right behind the goals for one and because the ground is slightly rounded you couldn't see the bottom half of the goal at the other end.

I think there's more chance of them selling out SFS as well which would make a better atmosphere than a half empty ANZ.