Laffery career on the line?

ShaneRalfRoss

line

By DEREK McGREGOR

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

RSS Share it Email Print

KYLE LAFFERTY has admitted his future at Rangers is up in the air.

The hitman's red card at Easter Road on Sunday was another nightmare moment in a troubled two-year stint at Ibrox.

Gers won't appeal against the decsion and Laff's one-match ban leaves him facing a fight with new boys Vladimir Weiss, James Beattie and Nikica Jelavic to get back in the side.

Boss Walter Smith has warned the Northern Ireland ace his discipline must improve after he saw red for the clash with Kevin McBride.

Lafferty said: "I don't want to leave this club. It meant everything for me to join Rangers.

"But I realise the only way I can make sure I stay at Ibrox is to perform well on a regular basis.

"If my discipline isn't right, though, then I put all of my hopes at risk."

SunSport can reveal Smith had a private pep-talk yesterday with Lafferty after his warning.

Lafferty added: "I've ended up getting stupidly sent off and I could have lost the game for the team.

"I'm really disappointed with the first red card of my Rangers career.

"Now I'm just going to have to accept my ban and move on.

"It's a massive season for everybody here and with three new signings the competition for places up front is intense. Vladimir, James and Nikica are quality signings and I've got my work cut out to get my place back.

"I've got to work even harder to make sure I stay in the manager's plans."

Lafferty reckons the red card from ref Iain Brines was harsh. He went on: "I thought it should've just been a yellow card each, but the referee seemed to make up his mind early on.

"I know my initial tackle looked bad. But having watched TV replays I think the red was harsh.

"I did go over the top of Liam Miller, but that was because I pulled out the tackle as I was going in.

"I admit I reacted badly after being hit with the ball by McBride, but I think in that situation most players would have done the same."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3108692/My-Gers-careers-on-the-line.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I panicked with the thread title i didn't know he had a carer :craphead:

It's over for him anyway he would need to have a HUGE season to avoid being shown the door at the end of the season,i do like the boy and hope it works out for him but i really can't see it.

how long has he got on his contract.???

i was raging at him yesterday but have calmed down about it a bit now

but i have heard this kind of interview from him before after mulgrew and other occasions and i want to believe him but sadly i think his time is up with us , if he moves either now if anyone wants him or at the end of the season then i would wish him luck but i cant see him cutting it here

If those are word for word quotes, Id be a wee bit worried that he is maybe looking at the fact we have signed 2 strikers and hes thinking im not going to get a game... and if he keeps getting sent off and lets other people get a chance at LW and they impress he will struggle to get back into the team, he knows this and I just hope that he doesnt give up easily, hes fought hard for the last 2 years and I cant see him giving up yet but you never know, 2 years on and he still hasnt settled, he might just have an eye on the door and if we can get any kind of decent fee for him id take the money and run and invest it

Never worth £3.5 Million but it is not his fault we paid but if maybe if he buckled down in training and tried to make himself better he may have made. But IMO he thinks he has made it. End of the day he isn't good enough and showed be shown the door.

What makes me laugh is that if this had happened in the O.F. and he went to start on them, in fact if anyone from the team (as he would still get abuse) did the same to a celtic player most on here would class them as a 'hero'

Never worth £3.5 Million but it is not his fault we paid but if maybe if he buckled down in training and tried to make himself better he may have made. But IMO he thinks he has made it. End of the day he isn't good enough and showed be shown the door.

I am surprised that the club and coaching staff don't seem to be overly bothered about discipline and ensuring players are told what is expected on and off the pitch. I find it sad that he seemed to be turning things around and now this has happened. I have a nice image of him a few weeks ago at one of the games, where he was not a starter, signing autographs and chatting away to the fans.

I also noticed during the world cup there is so much more of this play acting and trying to get opposing players sent off, to me that's a disgrace.

Football on a whole is changing though,

e.g today, the Liverpool vs Man City game, City get a penalty yet the players go and tell the ref to give the player a card to get him sent off.

Football on a whole is changing though,

e.g today, the Liverpool vs Man City game, City get a penalty yet the players go and tell the ref to give the player a card to get him sent off.

I think the refs need to take more control of the games. The number of players who walk away shrugging their shoulders when the ref is about to caution them is atrocious. If players that mob him and don't disperse after the he tells them a number of times to, I think he should book them. The Ref on Sunday did not have good control of the game, as soon as I saw him give Sol Bamba the free kick for climbing on Miller I knew there would be questionable decisions

What makes me laugh is that if this had happened in the O.F. and he went to start on them, in fact if anyone from the team (as he would still get abuse) did the same to a celtic player most on here would class them as a 'hero'

OF games are ALWAYS important, I reckon most people would be alot more pissed off if he got stupidly sent off in one.

In my eyes he has this season to sort himself out as there is only one person that can sort his "problems" out and that is Walter the way he carrys on reminds me a bit of Ferguson when he was younger would bleed blue but goes about it the wrong way, hopefully Walter can sort it out before he goes as the boy has showen that he has the ability!