Paddy McCourt is better than George Best

papaguy51

Taken from VB;

AIDEN McGEADY isn't fit to lace Paddy McCourt's boots.

The words of Roddy Collins the day McCourt signed for Celtic.

Paddy McCourt isn't fit.

The words of just about everyone else since he arrived from Derry City.

Two years after his jaw-dropping claims in SunSport, former Derry boss Collins is furious that his protege is still being doubted.

Better than George Best, he said back in 2008.

On a different planet to McGeady, he promised.

As it happens, it seems the bolshie Irishman might just have been on to something.

But instead of basking in the knowledge he was right, Collins can't believe some snipers still claim McCourt doesn't have the legs to last the pace at Parkhead.

Now, as the bearded winger continues to bang in the wonder goals, Collins wants the critics to SHUT IT - and enjoy watching a true genius at work.

He barked: "Paddy's the man.

"There was nothing daft about what I said when he signed. People can see that now.

"There was nothing daft about taking him to Rochdale reserves, putting an arm round him and telling him he could be the best.

"Trying to convince him he was good enough was the hardest part. You haven't seen anything yet. Wait until he REALLY gets going.

"And this stuff about his fitness is the biggest load of cr*p I've ever heard.

"Give him the ball, get Samaras out of his way and just let him play.

"If you give him the space on that left wing he will run amok in the SPL.

"Don't be worrying about his fitness, just watch him go and see him become a legend.

"Let's get this straight. What's fit?

"When George Best was at Fulham he'd turn up drunk then go out and be the best on the pitch.

"Now I'm not saying Paddy's a drinker but he can do in five minutes what other fellas struggle to do in 90 minutes plus extra time.

"They run about like headless chickens and will NEVER be able to achieve what Paddy does.

"Ask Paddy McCourt to do a 12-minute run and he'd look at you like you were daft. And rightly so.

"He's a unique talent so if he's match fit just give him the ball.

"People are obsessed with players being six-foot-plus. They want them big and powerful and pacy.

"But what does that get you? Lads built like doors running into each other."

Still close friends with the winger, Collins speaks to McCourt on a regular basis.

Advertisement

Celtic-daft, the man who pushed his move to Parkhead is thrilled he's getting bums off seats. But he claimed: "Why do you have to run around like a lunatic? Give him that space, no deeper than the halfway line and you see what he can do.

"So why change him, why have him tracking back and helping out the defenders.

"Paddy McCourt will fill a stadium. Just leave him alone and let him play.

"I'm sick of it. I've a pain in my a**e listening to these weaklings who wouldn't have the bottle to play him for 90 minutes. He might do nothing for 85 but you don't take him off the park.

"Give him ten games and in nine of them he'll have the crowd off their feet.

"People will pay money in a recession to be entertained. They want to see pure talent.

"That's why Paddy is made for Celtic."

For all his wonder goals, there are still question marks.

Can he last 90 minutes? Is he fast enough? Is he strong enough?

Just like boxing brother Steve, Collins pulls no punches with the answers. He snarled: "Over 40 yards, I'd back Paddy against anyone.

"Over five yards, I'd back him against Usain Bolt.

"He jumps higher than George Best. Stand him shoulder to shoulder and he won't be knocked off his feet.

"He's strong but because he looks relaxed people have a different perception. I'm telling you, he's a vicious b*****d when he wants to defend himself.

"He's the complete player for me. Even if he has a bad game, don't leave him out.

"I watched his Celtic goals and felt so proud and happy of what he's done so far. I don't have to feel vindicated or anything. I'm not in it to say Roddy Collins discovered him.

"He was there and I put an arm round him and managed him properly. He's a man and a half and I like that he's not mouthy and not up himself."

Despite landing a £10million move to Spartak Moscow, Collins reckons Celtic don't miss McGeady because of McCourt.

He's a fan of the twinkle-toed former Hoops ace all right - he just thinks McCourt is BETTER.

And after searching all summer for a player to fill the No 7 shirt, Collins has urged Celts boss Neil Lennon just to hang it on McCourt's peg.

He said: "McGeady's a good player and a good lad but his talent isn't even 20 per cent of Paddy's natural ability.

"He might come inside and score a wonder goal once a season. Paddy will do it EVERY game. If you want someone in the final third to create havoc, Paddy's your man."

Feel free to reply when you manage to pick yourself up off the floor.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like boxing brother Steve, Collins pulls no punches with the answers. He snarled: "Over 40 yards, I'd back Paddy against anyone.

"Over five yards, I'd back him against Usain Bolt.

BAAHHHHHAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHA :lol::praise: