Barry Ferguson - Legend or Not

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to Rangers legends we often think back to the likes of; Baxter, Grieg, Gasgoine, Cooper, Laudrup, Struth, Wallace, McCoist, etc etc

But no one has provoked more controversary than BF's fans claims to their hero's legendary status. Without doubt Barry Ferguson has retained a very substantial volume of support amongst the bears while at the same time there is an equally potent and harsh volume of criticism blasted against this particular player.

Is Barry a true Rangers legend and deserves to be recognised as such? Or is he just "A publicity-greedy Ned that gets lucky sometimes" as his critics often claim?

For the record I would argue that Barry Ferguson is without a doubt the most overrated Rangers player that I have ever heard of in my 30 odd years of following the Rangers. That doesn't mean to say that BF is a bad player, in fact at his peak Barry was wonderful to observe, but then again the likes of Wille Johnstone, Jim Baxter, Davie Cooper and co were even better to watch. And the only arguements we bears ever had about these true legends was over what was their best moments.

I see your new so you probably dont realise how many ridiculous debates/arguments there have been on this forum over BF so just warning you that's probably what your gonna get.

Your poll is well designed though.

I prefer to think of Barry Ferguson as a good player. He had his ups and downs like many before him. It is his claim to be a "Legend" that raises the hackles amongst those older bears who have seen players who have displayed far more talent on the football field and far more dignity off it that would be beyond the playing/moral capabilities of Barry Ferguson.

Not really, that's just pure selective.

You can't form a real opinion by blanking out all the negative points of a scenario.

you can when its in the past. we arent deciding if he should be alowed back we are deciding how he should be remembered.

its what humans do.

its a defence mecanism.

mothers dont rememebr the pain of child birth they remeber the joy of becoming a mother. of course if they are thinking of becoming pregnant again things may change a little.

The support en masse and the club decide who our legends are.

It's hilarious that people on here don't think Ferguson is not thought of as a legend by the vast majoirty of our support. His medals speak for themself and he is one of the most popular and loved players of his generation. Without a doubt the best scottish player of his generation and the club captain.

Not a legend..... :lol:

The support en masse and the club decide who our legends are.

It's hilarious that people on here don't think Ferguson is not thought of as a legend by the vast majoirty of our support. His medals speak for themself and he is one of the most popular and loved players of his generation. Without a doubt the best scottish player of his generation and the club captain.

Not a legend..... :lol:

You cant bring real ife into an online argument about Barry Ferguson. You'll scare people!

a would like comments on who has been a better midfielder since bazza left cept fur davis

The same Davis who has not kicked his own arse this season?

Ferguson playing poorly > Davis.

No doubt I will get abuse for this because he is the goldenboy from N.I but I think the lad is vastly overrated and never gets the same type of criticism when he fails to perform like Whittaker/Edu etc get.

Good enough player but if we got 5/6 million for him I would drive him down to England myself.

He was the captain in what was called "the worst ever Rangers team" I wouldnt say he's a legend, I rate him as a player and thought he was great for the club and even now I think we miss him sometimes. But his attitude was terrible, many folk have came out saying he thought he was Mr Rangers etc, no man is bigger than the club and I think barry thinks he was, thats why he blew any chance of being a legend.

I would say that Nacho has more chance of being a legend that BF, Novo never done a thing to hurt our club but BF did.

Willis i loved the wee man, but fuck me if NN is a legend then that is a very poor reflection of the "talent" that Rangers have had over the last decade. He scored important goals but Brian Laudrup had more talent in his hair than NN has footballing wise.

I do think it's an opinion that's formed 99% on age.

Most of the older Bears who have seen Gough, Butcher and Greig might not think he's up there, but the younger lads will definitely see Ferguson as 'the' main man as they grew up watching us.

He was a fantastic player in his prime, how anyone could dispute that is beyond me. I'm in between the two posts as I saw a lot of Gough and I don't think we'll ever have a captain like that again.