Scottish football - Rotten to the core.

The despicable behaviour from Celtic fans, Manager and Chairman has only highlighted the fact that Scottish football is an utter shambles. With Bigotry, paranoia and lunacy permeating every aspect of our game. It almost feels dirty to be a Scottish football fan at the moment and it's not just the events of the last few weeks I'm talking about.

Bigotry, Sectarianism, parochialism, paranioa, bias and incompetence from the people running the game are a blight on our National Sport. The ever dimming hope that it might one day move away from all this is fading fast. What must people think of our game?

I love Rangers and I would never consider abandoning them but the loathsome events of the last few weeks have tested my patience. I am offering no solutions for this, I am only using this opportunity to voice my fear that potential young fans may think that all this is not worth the hassle and turn to the Premiership.

Scottish Football is a joke, and not a particularly funny one.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with all of that, but I don't understand what you meant by the "I love Rangers and I would never consider abandoning them but the loathsome events of the last few weeks have tested my patience. " part.

Agree with all of that, but I don't understand what you meant by the "I love Rangers and I would never consider abandoning them but the loathsome events of the last few weeks have tested my patience. " part.

Not tested my patience with Rangers, I mean Scottish Football.

Many have lost sight of the fact thats football is a sport, highly competitive yes, but a sport never-the-less. And in sport we expect rules and people to play by the rules and the words sporting and sportsmanship stand for integrity. But many in the press, fans of all teams, clubs and administrators within the game have forgotten that. Witness some of the inept handling of recent affairs, jobs for the lads and continual self interest that permiates the game. What has worried me most is that fans, and I include our in this, have lost the ability to laugh at our-selves, even jokes are now sources of dis-content and subjected to the offended amongst us writing letters and starting campaigns.

But I dont think all is lost - the game of football is a powerful thing and often out of bleakness comes change, and change is needed in our game. We need administrators who do the best for the greater good, we need clubs to provide leadership to their fans and to rember it is a game and most of all we need respect! Respect for referees, for other teams and respect for other players. We can all contribute to creating respect. The game will be the better for it.

Difficult to argue with any of that. Very well put. (tu)

It would feel a hell of a lot 'cleaner' though if celtc were fined & disciplined etc for their utterly disgusting, coordinated from the top down, despicable behaviour. What really gets me is that they are probably thinking "See? We were right all along!".

So, it would stand to reason then, that nothing will change IF celtc will not change?

EDIT: Getting kids involved our our beloved sport is a must. I can't hep but feel that even young kids see this shambles and will just go back to the video game thinking they are not missing anything. The implications of this 'rot' are widespread. Being involved in sport can mean the difference of a productive life, or, a wasted one imho.

cant disagree. celtics obsession with the so called preferential treatment rangers get is now running everything surrounding their club.

instead of playing football, and attempting to win games, they appear to have an agenda at every opportunity when results don't go their way.

gary hooper for all his incredible comments seems to have gotten away with the biggest charge of bringing the game into disrepute that i can recall, yet in the grand scheme of the situation recently, his comments would appear secondary.

the manager is the face of the club, any club. his actions determine the success and stability of that club, imo of course.

in neil lennons case, the way he conducts himself as the face of his club, to me, it must surely be an embarrassment to shareholders, sponsors, fans alike.

his actions, and to an extent inactions, have fuelled this situation where it has reached a point where now jobs have been lost, faith has been destroyed, the product tarnished, and the country a laughing stock throughout the footballing world.

his actions alone, have not brought about this, but everyone knows he, and the powers that be at the back of him have stoked this fire into a blaze, which has the potential to burn the house down beyond recognition.

It's been embarrassing, but it's not as if all it's brand new.

Events in recent weeks are new. When was the last time the refs went on strike and the SFA were forced to bring in foreign ones ? When was the last time celtic put so much pressure on 2 SFA employee's that eventually lead them to quit ?

Difficult to argue with any of that. Very well put. (tu)

It would feel a hell of a lot 'cleaner' though if celtc were fined & disciplined etc for their utterly disgusting, coordinated from the top down, despicable behaviour. What really gets me is that they are probably thinking "See? We were right all along!".

So, it would stand to reason then, that nothing will change IF celtc will not change?

I doubt that a fine would stop celtic, who clearly feel that the battle off the pitch is equally if not as important. There have been a few close run-ins in the league with titles being decided by a few points or even goals; they will gladly pay a fine if they felt they could influence an Old Firm game by pressuring the officials.

I hereby conclude that the only way to stop this is an alteration of the rules effectively diminishing the freedom of speech of clubs and their employees - a sad, sad state of affairs but what else can be done as long as celtic continue to act as they do?

gary hooper for all his incredible comments seems to have gotten away with the biggest charge of bringing the game into disrepute that i can recall, yet in the grand scheme of the situation recently, his comments would appear secondary.

McGready got away with similiar did he not? By stating that the ref was "not impartial".

Many have lost sight of the fact thats football is a sport, highly competitive yes, but a sport never-the-less. And in sport we expect rules and people to play by the rules and the words sporting and sportsmanship stand for integrity. But many in the press, fans of all teams, clubs and administrators within the game have forgotten that. Witness some of the inept handling of recent affairs, jobs for the lads and continual self interest that permiates the game. What has worried me most is that fans, and I include our in this, have lost the ability to laugh at our-selves, even jokes are now sources of dis-content and subjected to the offended amongst us writing letters and starting campaigns.

But I dont think all is lost - the game of football is a powerful thing and often out of bleakness comes change, and change is needed in our game. We need administrators who do the best for the greater good, we need clubs to provide leadership to their fans and to rember it is a game and most of all we need respect! Respect for referees, for other teams and respect for other players. We can all contribute to creating respect. The game will be the better for it.

I agree with this. However, some people involved in Scottish Football - not just Celtic - seem incapable of respect - Hell, basic human decency is beyond some of them. It's a frustrating state of affairs but, as you say, all is not lost.

Great post Twb and i agree with you.

We need to re-evaluate the power of the press & the rights of players/managers/clubs regarding being able to speak with seeming impunity regarding the reasons behind decisions being given by referees or decisions being made by the governing body.

In one thing i do entirely agree with Celtic .... we need

• transparency within the SFA regarding disciplinary procedures of referees who make a hash of games
  • reviewing of controversial incidents which have happened during the game which the ref didn't see
  • a quicker appeals procedure for overturning cards

You cannot have ex-colleagues deciding a punishment of each other, there is always the risk of impropriety.

Why is it in England they are able to review a controversial incident within 3 - 5 days where it takes the SPL/SFA upto 6 weeks, the same can be said for appeals.

A full review of the procedures of the games governing body are long overdue, bringing it into the 21st century.

This is not a football problem - its a society problem.

As long as we as a society continue to segregate kids at 5 yrs of age engendering division and suspicion we will always have this situation in this country.

Trust me I know what goes on in staff rooms in 'faith' schools around the country and there is an ongoing fostering of 'them and us' from a very early age.

Perpetuating this system makes no moral or financial sense.

That's true.

Then Mowbray came out pretty quickly and basically called McGeady stupid :lol:

That was my favourite Magic Mowbray Moment. "I think maybe Aiden doesn't know what impartial means. Maybe he's heard someone using it before and picked it up but doesn't understand what it means".

That was my favourite Magic Mowbray Moment. "I think maybe Aiden doesn't know what impartial means. Maybe he's heard someone using it before and picked it up but doesn't understand what it means".

I guess in a way Mowbray did the right thing there.

Unlike Lennon who'll just encourage his players to come out with pish