Scottish football - Rotten to the core.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The despicable behaviour from Celtic fans, Manager and Chairman has only highlighted the fact that Scottish football is an utter shambles. With Bigotry, paranoia and lunacy permeating every aspect of our game. It almost feels dirty to be a Scottish football fan at the moment and it's not just the events of the last few weeks I'm talking about.

Bigotry, Sectarianism, parochialism, paranioa, bias and incompetence from the people running the game are a blight on our National Sport. The ever dimming hope that it might one day move away from all this is fading fast. What must people think of our game?

I love Rangers and I would never consider abandoning them but the loathsome events of the last few weeks have tested my patience. I am offering no solutions for this, I am only using this opportunity to voice my fear that potential young fans may think that all this is not worth the hassle and turn to the Premiership.

Scottish Football is a joke, and not a particularly funny one.

This is spot on. I was thinking this myself upon reflecting on the last few days. its not just celtic but scottish football as a whole that are a joke. I wish we had several wealthy businesspeople who came together to revamp the entire "product" of scottish football. It needs to be rebranded, remarketed and needs a huge cash infusion. I think in 5 years we;ll be playing in a Northern Euro league. But u know what, even that is too insightful for the people who run the league

That was my favourite Magic Mowbray Moment. "I think maybe Aiden doesn't know what impartial means. Maybe he's heard someone using it before and picked it up but doesn't understand what it means".

"I had to think twice about what impartial means," said Mowbray. "I think probably Aiden (McGeady) got baffled by the science of it or the words. If a journalist used the word impartial to him, I'm pretty sure he didn't know what it meant."

:praise:

We're on a dangerous road here. If the bheasts continue feeding the paranoia, and pandering to the Repulican/Catholic core of their support with their statements of being disadvantaged and the like , mark my words there will be bloodshed this New Year.

Regarding the SFA:

They have bagged a body or two in Dallas and McDonald , under the guise of 'making the system fairer' but nobody with any cop-on believes that. They want some some of 'their' community to be represented in the higher echelons of the game - they genuinely believe there aren't already or haven't ever been - for THEIR clubs benefit. Nothing else.

The comments posted online by some of their number are most revealing IMO. One , on the Daily Wreckord , even suggested that referees be recruited on a positive discrimination basis. I can only guess that means favouring his lot over ours. Can you imagine that? Instant rewind of community relations in the West of Scotland by around 30 years I think.

As I said before , somebody is going to get seriously hurt or even killed amongst all the bitterness that the bheasts are stirring up. If enough damage is done in society then the Scottish Government will get involved hands-on , and who knows what FIFA will make of that. We have already had the Catholic Church using undue influence to usher Mr Dallas out the door.

Something needs to be done to put manners on this rabble or as I have said , people are going to get hurt.

Celtic are going to get away with this nonsense. Wait and see. The SFA and the SPL will not stand up to them. Already Dallas has been forced out and several others will follow. The same RC Church spokesman that complained about the Hokey Cokey was the guy who put on the pressure about the recent email. Tom English had a scathing article about them in the Scotsman.

It is a joke. the SFA is a laughing stock.

I just hope the refs take it out on the Scum when they return.

"I had to think twice about what impartial means," said Mowbray. "I think probably Aiden (McGeady) got baffled by the science of it or the words. If a journalist used the word impartial to him, I'm pretty sure he didn't know what it meant."

:praise:

:lol: that's the quote. I wasn't far off.

Mowbray :praise: :praise: :praise:

Many have lost sight of the fact thats football is a sport, highly competitive yes, but a sport never-the-less. And in sport we expect rules and people to play by the rules and the words sporting and sportsmanship stand for integrity. But many in the press, fans of all teams, clubs and administrators within the game have forgotten that. Witness some of the inept handling of recent affairs, jobs for the lads and continual self interest that permiates the game. What has worried me most is that fans, and I include our in this, have lost the ability to laugh at our-selves, even jokes are now sources of dis-content and subjected to the offended amongst us writing letters and starting campaigns.

But I dont think all is lost - the game of football is a powerful thing and often out of bleakness comes change, and change is needed in our game. We need administrators who do the best for the greater good, we need clubs to provide leadership to their fans and to rember it is a game and most of all we need respect! Respect for referees, for other teams and respect for other players. We can all contribute to creating respect. The game will be the better for it.

All round decent post, agree with all of that.

This is not a football problem - its a society problem.

As long as we as a society continue to segregate kids at 5 yrs of age engendering division and suspicion we will always have this situation in this country.

Trust me I know what goes on in staff rooms in 'faith' schools around the country and there is an ongoing fostering of 'them and us' from a very early age.

Perpetuating this system makes no moral or financial sense.

It almost feels dirty to be a Scottish football fan at the moment and it's not just the events of the last few weeks I'm talking about.

Rasellik are accusing others of match-fixing.

That's the long, tall and short of it. Time to get those cunts in court - fuck their innuendo, let them spill their guts and be done with it once and for all.

Scottish football is dying and it's dying faster because of the paranoia and bigotry of Celtic football club and as long as the powers that be bend over for them we'll keep sinking.

Personally i see no future in Scottish football and even with the old firm i see it sinking towards the League of Ireland status.

I know I am not the only one who said this but at the start of the season I said this would be the most controversial season in years. With Lennon as manager and the fact we now dominate Scottish football (even though they have a huge financial advantage) I knew as soon as we started to stretch ahead of them again in the league they would throw a tantrum of some sort.

I am more than happy for them to concentrate on what is going on off the park because since they started doing that we have been gaining the advantage on the field. Look at their record before and after the utd game.

Reid and lawell are fighting for their jobs right now and they know the easiest way to distract the simpletons is to feed their paranoia and the massive chip that exists on the shoulder of there lunatic fringe. That’s why Lennon is manager and that’s why they spent the summer stoking these idiots up in there series of summer roadshows and the recent poppy and referee disgraces are a direct product of these roadshows.

Instead of the woe is me nonsense sit back and enjoy watching them fall apart and enjoy Walter lifting three in a row with the knowledge they have tried (and failed) with every dirty trick in the book to stop us

What has this got to do with Scottish football?

I was wondering that myself,TWB.

It's more to do with the part of the world they are living in and how they are "Educated" at home rather than which school they attend, IMO.

As you would know having lived in Australia yourself for a few years, we over here have schools of many denominations, such as; Catholic, Muslim, Anglican,Scots,Jewish,Brethren, non-denominational Public etc! and there is never a case where sport and religion are even mentioned in the same breath.

Sport is for all and religion is personal, which should be the case anyway, because maybe if that was the case, we wouldn't be at the fork in the road now.

As far as I'm concerned; I'm a Blue nose who is proud of our history and heritage and who will sing Billy Boys in all its originality until the day I die, because I don't believe that the word "Fenian" is bigoted or sectarian.

As for the other lot; as long as they keep their "Irish army folk songs" out of it, they can sing Celtic songs all day long...They should remember that it's Scotland they play in and not Ireland.

This isn't about what schools they attended, it's about a paranoia that's infested that club much more than it's ever been because of Reid, Lawwell and especially Lennon and his cohorts who have had an ongoing vendetta against Hugh Dallas since May 1999 and are spewing their bile to feed their hard core lunatic section of their support in their feeding frenzy of revenge.

I would say that we who are far away from the madding crowd see things in a different way to others who are at the coal face of this disgraceful event, but no matter where you live or who your allegiances lie with, it's a very disturbing time for a sport that will die without referee's.

I know I am not the only one who said this but at the start of the season I said this would be the most controversial season in years. With Lennon as manager and the fact we now dominate Scottish football (even though they have a huge financial advantage) I knew as soon as we started to stretch ahead of them again in the league they would throw a tantrum of some sort.

I am more than happy for them to concentrate on what is going on off the park because since they started doing that we have been gaining the advantage on the field. Look at their record before and after the utd game.

Reid and lawell are fighting for their jobs right now and they know the easiest way to distract the simpletons is to feed their paranoia and the massive chip that exists on the shoulder of there lunatic fringe. That’s why Lennon is manager and that’s why they spent the summer stoking these idiots up in there series of summer roadshows and the recent poppy and referee disgraces are a direct product of these roadshows.

Instead of the woe is me nonsense sit back and enjoy watching them fall apart and enjoy Walter lifting three in a row with the knowledge they have tried (and failed) with every dirty trick in the book to stop us

Right you pack it in.

That's the second time i've agreed with you since August......enough ok! :P

I was wondering that myself,TWB.

It's more to do with the part of the world they are living in and how they are "Educated" at home rather than which school they attend, IMO.

As you would know having lived in Australia yourself for a few years, we over here have schools of many denominations, such as; Catholic, Muslim, Anglican,Scots,Jewish,Brethren, non-denominational Public etc! and there is never a case where sport and religion are even mentioned in the same breath.

Sport is for all and religion is personal, which should be the case anyway, because maybe if that was the case, we wouldn't be at the fork in the road now.

As far as I'm concerned; I'm a Blue nose who is proud of our history and heritage and who will sing Billy Boys in all its originality until the day I die, because I don't believe that the word "Fenian" is bigoted or sectarian.

As for the other lot; as long as they keep their "Irish army folk songs" out of it, they can sing Celtic songs all day long...They should remember that it's Scotland they play in and not Ireland.

This isn't about what schools they attended, it's about a paranoia that's infested that club much more than it's ever been because of Reid, Lawwell and especially Lennon and his cohorts who have had an ongoing vendetta against Hugh Dallas since May 1999 and are spewing their bile to feed their hard core lunatic section of their support in their feeding frenzy of revenge.

I would say that we who are far away from the madding crowd see things in a different way to others who are at the coal face of this disgraceful event, but no matter where you live or who your allegiances lie with, it's a very disturbing time for a sport that will die without referee's.

Fantastic post mate spot on. :21:

I agree with this. However, some people involved in Scottish Football - not just Celtic - seem incapable of respect - Hell, basic human decency is beyond some of them. It's a frustrating state of affairs but, as you say, all is not lost.

Even on this thread there are those who gloat that it was ' them' not us - and one thing the 'internet' (forums et at) and phone-ins have given us is a legitimacy to the vocal minority.

Unfortunatley a great number of posts/calls to phone-ins etc. are from the more extreme elements in any support - but it only takes 20 or so posters or a few on the phone in to repeat whatever their mantra of the day is for that mantra to be given some sort of foothold in fans psychie (and its a 'technique' that as a marketing guy I know exsts as I use it all the time in work and its one of the reasons I post on here - to counter some of the more 'irresponsible' posts)

So how do we change? Mobilisation of our fan base seems to be a non-starter (or no formulae found yet), we will find it difficult to influence the SFA (and they do need to take a STRONG leadership role in change) and the 'press' (printed, online, radio and TV) just love all the extremes as it sells. So what can we RM members do.

Well we can start by getting some of our own moderates mobilised and stop some of our own extremes, or at least water them down with alternate reasoned argument.

for example:

A small (some will say trivial) example of the minority gaining credance for a extreme position is RM's attitude to discussing Celtic on this forum - we cant even laugh at them anymore in the Bears Den - go figure. Why cant we discuss Celtic in this forum? (even to laugh) - why cant we acknowledge they have some decent players (LOL - excpet not as many at the moment)

We as a fan base (or at least this forums members) so show other examples of these potentially damaging extremes, our attitude to the newspapers (Every one excpet leggit is against us - that type of bollocks) , our attitudes to referees (If you dont think we dis-resect refs - go find the Thread about Willie Collum PRIOR to the OF game - many on here questioned his integrity based on the school he went to) and our own attitudes to club initiatives to keep our fan base out of trouble (and yes, I mean by this, the sectarian singing).

We as a fan base can stop looking for leadership and instead take a leadership role, this could start right here on RM. make small changes, moderates (whom I think are our majority support) need to speak up more and curb the excessive enthusiasm of some of the more rabid concepts on here. Lets start to show respect for referees, whithout whom we would not have a game, lets recognise when another team (even Celtic) and if someone makes a joke at our expense- lets laugh with them and not turn it into a crusade.

Football is a sport, lets treat it as such.

What has this got to do with Scottish football?

Do you think that the issues that surround Scottish football, the sectarianism, bigotry paranoia you mention, are not related to the issues within Scottish society at large?

Do you think that the issues that surround Scottish football, the sectarianism, bigotry paranoia you mention, are not related to the issues within Scottish society at large?

(Jumping in)

I actually think the size of our country and the prominence of our two main football teams and the 'allegences' of each actually makes the situation far worse, much more of an issue and more extreme that it would be without them.

Sectarianism would hardly be discussed without the old firm.

(Jim Traynor - yes him) came up with a great phrase - dont know if its original or not) but he was referring to online forums (celtics in particular) and he called some posters KeyBoard Christians - we have seen them on here the "I am protestant but dont go to church loyal". We have them on our terracing as well so in homage to Mr Traynor lest call them 'Terrace Chrisitains'.

Both OF sides have thousands of 'Terrace Christians' expousing these (and other) causes for no other reason than their attachment to a football club.

So in my opinion I dont think want happens with 'us' is a refelection of societies ills as a whole - I think we are pretty well in the middle of it in Scotland.