Legendary fans

MisterC

This thread about Garry Lynch got me thinking about some of the lengths fans go to in order to see as many Rangers games, at all levels, as they possibly could. I remember reading the stories after he died of how many games he had been to, the journeys to get there and so on. It got me thinking about some of the fans some of whom are also sadly gone who would do similar things and not miss games for umpteen years and so on. Anyone got any stories or examples of fans have travelled far and wide watching Rangers for many years?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread about Garry Lynch got me thinking about some of the lengths fans go to in order to see as many Rangers games, at all levels, as they possibly could. I remember reading the stories after he died of how many games he had been to, the journeys to get there and so on. It got me thinking about some of the fans some of whom are also sadly gone who would do similar things and not miss games for umpteen years and so on. Anyone got any stories or examples of fans have travelled far and wide watching Rangers for many years?

I must look out an old book I have at home, not just about Rangers but Scottish Footie generally.

I vaguely remember some stories like a bunch of bears who joined the Communist Party and managed to get a trip to an away Euro behind the Iron Curtain by going on a cultural/ propoganda trip.

Another about some fans (can't remember which team) who got to a game away in Greece or Turkey or the like who got there by nicking a car then dumping it and nicking a new one in the next town, right across Europe.

And of course there's stories of folk walking all over Scotland to see The Rangers play.

EDIT: just read Sam's post.

I know several people who have clocked up over 100 Euro away games.

Lisbon will be my 87th - I might write a book at 100 :rolleyes:

Thats some travelling you have racked up. Imagine how much you must have spent mate.If you ha saved the cash you could have bought us by now :uk:

I was told this story about a boy who runs a Glasgow bus. He was involved in a car accident which required a hospital stay, but he signed himself out for the night to go up to either Perth or Dundee, before returning to the ward! The stories of the old Brake Clubs show that dedication is nothing new.

in 1978 rangers were drawn in a league cup section one of the teams was arbroath.

having beaten them at ibrox there was little interest in a lot of fans going to arbroath on a freezing winter wednesday night.

I finished work at 11am went up to stirling road airdie and hitch hiked it.

got to Auchterader and got a lift on the kinning park bus.

After the game which we won 2-1 got dropped of at cumbernauld round about.this was about 1 am.

Walked it back to airdrie just in time to start work at 3am.

Worth it. theres only one boabry russell.

in 1978 rangers were drawn in a league cup section one of the teams was arbroath.

having beaten them at ibrox there was little interest in a lot of fans going to arbroath on a freezing winter wednesday night.

After the game which we won 2-1 got dropped of at cumbernauld round about.this was about 1 am.

Speaking of the Kinning Park bus, the guy who runs it has been doing it for 40 years, I get the feeling in that time he hasnt missed many games home or away

He is one of the ones I referred to in the 100+ club

Doesnt surprise me to hear that mate :D Honourable mentions are also due to the ones who got into the san Siro in 2005, speakbake and stubluekpl amongst a few others managed to blag their way in which was pretty impressive!

Doesnt surprise me to hear that mate :D Honourable mentions are also due to the ones who got into the san Siro in 2005, speakbake and stubluekpl amongst a few others managed to blag their way in which was pretty impressive!

That is pretty fuckin impressive!

I remember paying something like £390 for a last minute, one way, business class (all that was left) flight from my Dad's in Rotterdam back home to Scotland for a Rangers game at Easter Road years ago on the morning of the match when I found out his local pub in Rotterdam weren't showing the game on TV.

Way back in 69 a mate of mine bought himself a moped. It had a top speed of thirtyfive miles an hour. He drove it all the way to Aberdeen and back to Glasgow in a blizzard to watch us.Daft bastard. :crabflute:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I can't wait to get to the 100 club.

I'm about a third of the way there and I'm in my mid 20's. *edit need to give it a proper count, it's about 30*

But the older lads in the 100 club makes their achivements more amazing due to the fact there wasn't the internet, cheap flights, regular flights, good connections etc etc. It was 4 day round trips on a bus on spec etc.

This I find hard to believe :pipe: How many you been on Den?

66 , think i might retire if im fortunate enough to reach 100 as my liver will be well pickled.

biggest regret was not travelling to san siro as i know i would have got in, got offered seat on team flight but i had already paid nearly a grand to go to cyprus on team flight so couldnt really justify spending another 1k on that match

And I can't wait to get to the 100 club.

I'm just over third of the way there and I'm in my mid 20's.

But the older lads in the 100 club makes their achivements more amazing due to the fact there wasn't the internet, cheap flights, regular flights, good connections etc etc. It was 4 day round trips on a bus on spec etc.

i left on a saturday night on bus to go to romania in 1989 and got back home the following saturday morning about 4am , just in time to get to dunfermline for a league match, im telling you we are all fucking potty

66 , think i might retire if im fortunate enough to reach 100 as my liver will be well pickled.

biggest regret was not travelling to san siro as i know i would have got in, got offered seat on team flight but i had already paid nearly a grand to go to cyprus on team flight so couldnt really justify spending another 1k on that match

Pretty good innings though mate, plenty of time to get to 100 as well. Aye I dunno if I would have paid a grand and then have to sit in an empty stadium though. However the KP lads who got in did pretty well and respect is due to them for the gallusness of blagging their way in and managing not to knock Andy Walkers cunt in when they saw him outside the ground :lol:

i left on a saturday night on bus to go to romania in 1989 and got back home the following saturday morning about 4am , just in time to get to dunfermline for a league match, im telling you we are all fucking potty

That's what I call dedication (tu)

We ran a bus from Paisley to that game.

I remember it being brutally cold, probably the coldest I've ever been at a game.

Way back in 69 a mate of mine bought himself a moped. It had a top speed of thirtyfive miles an hour. He drove it all the way to Aberdeen and back to Glasgow in a blizzard to watch us.Daft bastard. :crabflute:

Jesus fuck :lol: