Big names would’ve said no to Ally’s job

ShaneRalfRoss

Big names would’ve said no to Ally’s job

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

WALTER SMITH has told Ally McCoist he's taking a job that most bosses would have SNUBBED.

McCoist will be handed the reins as Gers gaffer at the end of the season after landing a one-year rolling deal.

Current boss Smith reckons Ibrox legend Coisty can be a smash hit in a job that would've had others diving for cover.

He said: "Maybe more experienced managers would baulk a little bit at the the prospect of what Alistair faces but that doesn't matter to him. He knows the circumstances of the club but was still dead keen to take the job.

"Alistair wants to be the Rangers manager regardless of the circumstances.

"He was keen to give up everything when I asked him to join me here and he gave up a LOT.

"Now he's getting the opportunity that he always wanted.

"I just hope, on a personal basis, that the circumstances of the club change for his sake as much as anything else because it will be a hell of a job if they don't."

Chief executive Martin Bain insists there were NO other candidates for the post and that McCoist had always been groomed as Smith's successor.

Veteran boss Smith - gearing up for tonight's Europa League showdown with Sporting Lisbon - is backing his protege to be a success.

He said: "It will be a big challenge for Alistair and I think he expects that. Although it may be his first job as a manager, it was mine as well.

"I was well aware of what I had to do and so is Alistair.

"If you work at the Old Firm you've got to win. If you can manage to do that, then it's fine.

"Then you've got to go and do it the next year, and the year after that, and the year after that."

Rangers face Sporting having drawn the first leg 1-1 at Ibrox last week. There has been stinging criticism of Gers after

Sunday's Old Firm defeat to Celtic - with Smith hitting back: "I read we were brilliant against Motherwell but then I read that we had lost everything against Celtic.

"I've said many times before that sometimes winning an Old Firm game can exaggerate the circumstances, and sometimes losing it exaggerates the circumstances.

"We've got to show that losing the Old Firm game on Sunday was something we can come back from.

Advertisement

"So we've got to try to get everybody together and make sure we can do that. Our job now is to try to do as well as we possibly can.

"It was maybe natural going into January, the first half of the season would have an effect.

"Champions League games always take a lot out of teams so we have to hope that we can pick up and get back to a reasonable level of form over the next few weeks."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3430142/Big-names-wouldve-said-no-to-Ally-McCoists-job.html#ixzz1EpcZPeMo

And that is why the game is F----d because of money.

Just the way it is though isn't it

Moyes, Martinez, and Coyle all turned down the Celtic job before it was offered to Mowbray. Now clearly Celtic was a bigger job than Swansea, Burnley, and arguably Everton too, but very few top managers want to manage a big club in crisis if there's no money to rebuild the team

We attracted Paul Le Guen without offering a huge transfer budget.

Forgetting how that worked out, he was considered one of Europe's best young managers and had plenty of offers from clubs that would probably have offered more money to spend.

Rangers is one of the biggest jobs in the world.

"Alistair wants to be the Rangers manager regardless of the circumstances"

Thats the right attitude of any Rangers manager.

The manager who pulls Rangers out of this is one who is deserving. Lets hope he is the man to do just that

What a load of absolute tosh, regardless of circumstances if the Rangers post was advertised the quality of applicant would be from near the top drawer, i'm getting a bit pissed off at the never ending doom and gloom emerging, in a quirky sort of way it would attract managers who would love to turnaround what in some peoples eyes (not mine) is a lost cause.

Just the way it is though isn't it

Moyes, Martinez, and Coyle all turned down the Celtic job before it was offered to Mowbray. Now clearly Celtic was a bigger job than Swansea, Burnley, and arguably Everton too, but very few top managers want to manage a big club in crisis if there's no money to rebuild the team

Spot on!

Not even a case of needing millions but how can a new manager expect to come in and get his team sorted when he cant bring in some of his own players and no manager in their right mind is going to leave a Premiership team to manage us or Celtic, unless they are a fan maybe but even then as you said Moyes and Coyle turned down the taigs!

Smith should get out now and stop coming out with this crap ..........is this the kind of stuff we are going to get from him when hes gone ..........shame he was never truthful in the job

What did he say in that article that isnt true or lies?

Smith should get out now and stop coming out with this crap ..........is this the kind of stuff we are going to get from him when hes gone ..........shame he was never truthful in the job

You are a fucking walloper. 200 and odd posts full of hate and shite towards our manager. He riding your wife or summit?

Del

The guys been a blatant liar the whole time hes been in the job , along with Murray . He should go now and keep his mouth shut . It was always shut every time the fans wanted information

Emm ok...

Can you show me in the article though where Smith lied?

The Rangers is still a big draw regardless of the current circumstances. I'd have liked the board to at least consider other applicants let them make their case etc. At the very least I hope they had Mccoist outline his plans and impress them and this isn't just a rubber stamp job.

I do think mccoist can do the job, only time will tell.