558 Foreign Players In The Scottish Premier League

THFC6061

558 Foreign Players have played in the Scottish Premier League from season 1998-99 to 2010-11.

Rangers have had the most foreign players with 89.

France has supplied the most players with 85.

Players from a total of 78 foreign countries (non-British & Irish Isles) have had participate in the Scottish Premier League since season 1998-99.

Complete details of every foreign player can be found here...

Scottish Premier League Foreign Players 1998-99 to 2010-11

...while full details of all 18 Scottish Premier League teams and the 78 foreign countries can be found here...

Scottish Premier League Foreign Players by Club & Country 1998-99 to 2010-11

Some countries are missed out so the numbers are wrong.

Republic of Ireland isn't on the list, for example.

I know that this issue will open a can of worms, but here's why Ireland was "missing" from the list:

Ireland has been a soverign and independent country since 1922.

I wouldn't want to take anything away from their soverignty or independence as a Nation.

Having said that, there are numerous historical, cultural, geographical, sporting and political reasons why Ireland and the United Kingdom have a special relationship and thus players from Ireland have been treated differently in the data to, say, players from Bolivia or Japan.

You only have to look at the recent "Nations Cup" (also called 4 Associations' Tournament or Celtic Cup) to see why this is the case.

Hmm I can't think of any other club that could be deemed foreign. It's not as if we have one in our midst that is supported by people who, say, praise an aggressive paramilitary organisation that has killed British civilians, or who frequently wave flags of a foreign nation, as well as singing songs of that nations history. That would be insane. Surely such a club wouldn't be allowed to play in our countries league, if it existed.