The Squad Number 13

steve2368

Answer on a postcard please...:)

Further, why is it not used? I always thought it was withdrew as a tribute to those lost on stairway 13 during the Ibrox disaster. Or maybe it is just due to Jimmy Bell's superstitions?

Can anyone shed some light?

Answer on a postcard please...:)

Further, why is it not used? I always thought it was withdrew as a tribute to those lost on stairway 13 during the Ibrox disaster. Or maybe it is just due to Jimmy Bell's superstitions?

Can anyone shed some light?

Christian superstition has it that 13 is an unlucky number, as that's how many people were seated for Jesus' last supper.

By contrast, 13 is regarded as a lucky number in Judaism as it's the age when young men have their Bar Mitzvah and the number has various other positive connotations.

In football, 13 is most often the squad number assigned to the first reserve goalkeeper in a squad.

The only Rangers player to have been given the number 13 shirt during the SPL era was Antti Niemi in season 1998-99.

Btw most clubs do not have a number 13

I don't think that's true...

I can think of lots of clubs with 13 assigned to a player, in fact Spanish clubs have to assign numbers 1-25 including 13(normally given to one of the keepers)

I don't think that's true...

I can think of lots of clubs with 13 assigned to a player, in fact Spanish clubs have to assign numbers 1-25 including 13(normally given to one of the keepers)

Thats kafflicks for yae though :disappointment: