Gersnet Interview With Craig Moore

Frankie

I’m sure we’ll all remember Craig as a fine no-holds barred defender who contributed to our club’s ongoing success in two different spells at Rangers. With over 170 appearances under three different Rangers managers and spells in the top divisions within England and Germany, Oz has a wealth of experience in the game. Indeed, not every player can boast about playing in the Champions’ League, World Cups and the Olympics.

Great news then that Oz is putting all this knowledge to good use with his fantastic ‘VivaSoccer’ (http://www.vivasoccer.com.au/) initiative in Australia where Craig represents the organisation as an Ambassador for their work.

Anyway on with the questions!

Q. First things first, it’s been a long time since you lived in Scotland. Do you still keep up with Rangers news in Australia easily and how much do you miss the Scottish game and/or country?

A. I still keep in touch with the game over in Scotland and certainly miss the people and the football.

Q. Obviously most little boys across the world want to grow up and be a footballer. Did you have any alternatives in mind if you were not successful in the early part of your career?

A. To be honest, no. I had one goal in my mind and was very lucky that I managed to become a professional footballer. If I didn’t succeed I'm sure I would have done something to do with sport.

Q. Similarly, what other sports were you good at? Did they hold the same interest for you as football?

A. I played cricket and did athletics as a kid. I never had the same passion though in which I did for football.

Q. Rangers fans will mainly be interested in the years you spent at Ibrox but which other period of your career did you most enjoy out with Glasgow?

A. Probably my last two years at Newcastle. Really enjoyed playing in the Premiership. Out with that I really enjoyed my time as a national team player and competing at two World Cups were the highlights along with the Olympics.

Q. You came up against dozens of good players in your career. Who would you consider your most difficult opponent?

A. Every opponent can be difficult if you don’t approach the game properly. Really enjoyed my tussles with Ruud Van Nistelrooy at PSV and Larsson of course at Celtic.

Q. Surviving the cull after Walter Smith left in 1998 tells us a lot about how talented you were. How much of a culture shock was the transition from a Scottish to Dutch coaching team?

A. It was an interesting change but one which I embraced. I thought Dick Advocaat was an excellent coach and I played my best football under him.

Q. Given coaching is now obviously the biggest part of your professional life, who have been the main influences on your career and how would you help any young player starting out in the game?

A. You learn from many coaches and take the things you liked about them and mould them into your game. I was lucky to work with many excellent coaches. For players now I think man management is a huge part of being a good manager.

Q. Why did you feel taking part in the Olympics was so important given the criticism you received from Alex McLeish (and the support) at the time?

A. I missed the 1996 Olympics with a broken foot and it was something I'd always wanted to do. The opportunity came in 2004 and I was also already thinking about moving on from Rangers so it was an easy decision for me even though so much was made of it.

Q. What do you consider your greatest achievement in the game?

A. To be able to play at the highest level for 15 years. I retired after a World Cup which isn’t a bad way to stop I think

Q. And, conversely, your worst achievement? Any embarrassing stories you’d like to share?

A. I was never too happy with scoring an own goal against Celtic in my Old Firm debut but apart from that I played well. We know that doesn’t matter though when you have lost the game. It was character building though which stood me in good ground for my career.

Q. How easy did you find it to eventually hang up your boots? Did you realise at the time you’d be able to stay in the game and will you consider club management at some point?

A. I think if you stop on your own terms rather than be tapped on the shoulder it is easy. I stopped when it was right for me and I'm sure there will be plenty more involvement for me in the future whether it's coaching or agent work as I have fantastic contacts in the game. I've also set up a soccer business in Oz called Viva Soccer to encourage as many kids possible to play the game.

Q. How does Australian football currently compare to Scottish football – any local knowledge for the new Rangers scouting team?

A. I've had talks with Coisty and think we have some good boys so I'm more than happy to help Rangers make the right decisions on any Australian players.

Q. There must be an abundance of exciting young talent in Australia. Are Rangers utilising this market enough given the financial challenges we now face?

A. It is something that Rangers are aware of and hopefully from now on it is possible to monitor through the contacts that they have. Still a very good market here though.

Q. The Rangers dressing room must have been a very interesting place. Who were the main personalities and how challenging was it to lead them as captain?

A. The most interesting of all was Gascoigne but I wasn’t the captain then. I never had any problems because a captain leads by example and I was comfortable that while at Rangers that was exactly what I tried to do. Sure you have bad games but you can't fool the fans. If you work hard week in week out they appreciate you.

Q. If you could play in a different era from the one you did, when and where would you transport yourself to?

A. I was happy of the time I played. I'm the type of person that doesn’t have any regrets and gave my all. I played through a couple of eras also so seen quite a lot. The game is too bloody fast now anyway and will continue to get faster. If you aren’t an athlete now you have no chance.

Q. In 2008, you were diagnosed with testicular cancer whereby you had to undergo surgery to address the issue. What advice would you offer any person with similar health concerns?

A. This is very simple. If at any stage you have concerns, get yourself immediately to a doctor. The cancer can kill sure but wasting time will kill you quicker without help.

Q. Finally, in an era where just supporting a club can provide many negative connotations can you sum up what being a Rangers means to you?

A. For me it was always a family club and people stuck together. That was always the thing that made Rangers a great club. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. People will always remember you and that doesn’t happen at every club.

Thanks so much for you time Oz and it was an honour to catch up with a fellow bear doing so much for the game on the other side of the world.

A good read although most of the time he was a pretty non-committal and a bit corporate speak except "Once a Bear always a bear".

I suspect the Olympic Games episode and the afters might have soured his Rangers experience a bit,

Overall Craig Moore was a good player and captain for us