Bring Back The Billy Boys!

NorthernLights

Now, let me first start off by saying that I ignored the first 100 or so of these threads that popped up here. I thought we could move on and people were wasting their time.

However, having witnessed the atmosphere this season, I'm inclined to change my tune. Ibrox is like a morgue at times. What happened to the days when teams would fear coming to us?

It is obvious, however, that the words will need to be changed. I don't care what to. Honestly, I don't. We've heard all of the varieties already. "Up to our knees in Celtic blood", "If you are a Celtic fan surrender or you'll die"... Hell, have "We're up to our knees in trophies, so surrender or you'll die" for all I care.

But what about those who will continue to sing the old song? Simple. Hand out a small piece of card with each ticket sold, explaining the new words. Word of mouth will do the rest. You saw how quickly Penny Arcade caught on.

So, whatever your reason, whether it is to "get one right fucking up them", because you love the song or because you want Ibrox returned to former glory, let's get this classic, which has been emulated by many and even sung against us a few times recently, back on the Ibrox song book!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one sings, why would they sing the billy boys? some people at Ibrox don't want it back because, they have been listening to the papers etc.

But ra sellick fans don't seem to have a problem with there IRA songs. As soon as we sing it again it will be in the papers.

2 Rangers fans getting arrested at dunfermline made it on the news what do u think they will do with this?

Change the offending word and the song is fine.

It won't change though and it won't come back because too many Rangers fans and influential groups are too scared to call for it's return under sensible fan stewardship.

You could quite easily get the Blue Order and Union Bears to introduce the new song with the new word or words and make it clear to any fan who sings the so called "offensive" word that they will be arrested and charged if they do so.

Only one word in that song was "contentious" and to just sit back and accept a blanket ban on a song was in my eyes cowardly and unacceptable.

Other teams sing their version so why not us?

People should just sing.

Should but can't.

Freedom of Speech is no longer in this society. Dr Stuart Waiton was correct when he said you should be able to sing whatever the hell you want at a football match no matter how "offensive" the other side finds it.

No matter how much i want the Billy Boys to return i know fine well it won't.

And give it 12 months and vast chunks of our songbook will be gone as well and that will include Derry's Walls, The Sash, Build My Gallows, UDR4 etc etc etc.

Football is being killed by the very people who hate the game and have no interest in it,

I don't give a damn if that lot sing their IRA songs or anything offensive. For me the whole idea of going to a football match was to hear this singing and give it laldy in return.

Political Correctness will kill our game in a few short years along with the over zealous policing of fans. Some would say it is already here but it won't be long before the clubs and authorities start looking at half empty grounds in Glasgow and ask why the fans aren't attending.

Should but can't.

Freedom of Speech is no longer in this society. Dr Stuart Waiton was correct when he said you should be able to sing whatever the hell you want at a football match no matter how "offensive" the other side finds it.

No matter how much i want the Billy Boys to return i know fine well it won't.

And give it 12 months and vast chunks of our songbook will be gone as well and that will include Derry's Walls, The Sash, Build My Gallows, UDR4 etc etc etc.

Football is being killed by the very people who hate the game and have no interest in it,

I don't give a damn if that lot sing their IRA songs or anything offensive. For me the whole idea of going to a football match was to hear this singing and give it laldy in return.

Political Correctness will kill our game in a few short years along with the over zealous policing of fans. Some would say it is already here but it won't be long before the clubs and authorities start looking at half empty grounds in Glasgow and ask why the fans aren't attending.

Spot on. It's all part of the game. Both teams trying to outdo each other.