Ali Russell and Gordon Smith have agreed to leave Rangers.

disgruntled_bear

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell And Smith Leave

Thu, Feb 23, 2012

Tweet

DUFF AND PHELPS, the administrators of Rangers Football Club, today issued the following statement:

Paul Clark, joint administrator, said: "Since our appointment as administrators on February 14, it has been essential to review the cost structure of the Club's operations and make every effort to achieve efficiencies to help improve the trading position.

"As part of this programme, Ali Russell, the Club's Chief Operating Officer and Gordon Smith, Director of Football, have agreed to leave the Club.

"Administrators met Ali and Gordon and during the meetings they expressed their deep disappointment regarding the position in which the Club has been placed. There is nothing to suggest that either of them did anything but strive to act in the best interests of Rangers Football Club during their terms of office.

"At our request, both agreed to stay on and assist the Club until the end of this month and we are very grateful for their co-operation and willingness to do what they can during this difficult period for Rangers.

"Meetings have also been held with Ally McCoist and we had discussions regarding the potential impact of the administration process on the football department and we will continue to consult fully with him.

"It is clearly understood by all, including the players, that the football department costs will come under review as is the case with all departments within the business. No decisions regarding staffing in any department have been taken at this point and will not be taken until next week. "

Statement from Ali Russell

"It has been a great honour to have worked for Rangers Football Club. I only wish the circumstances could have been better. I would like to offer special thanks to Ally McCoist and Gordon Smith who have been tremendous throughout all of this.

"This is a difficult time for Rangers and I hope my departure will help others keep their jobs. The most important thing in this whole saga is the Club's future is secured and Rangers looks forward to better days. I am sure that will happen and my support will always be there for the Club."

Statement from Gordon Smith

"It was a great thrill to be offered the Director of Football role at Rangers. As a fan it was a wonderful experience to play such a big part in our treble winning season of 77/78. However like my transfer in 1980 my leaving at this time comes as a tremendous wrench.

"I admit that under the current circumstances it has not come as a major surprise to me. I was brought in by Craig Whyte but because his control and reputation has been damaged by recent disclosures, I feel my own position has been undermined by association.

"However, I would make the point that I was very frustrated in my job as I was unable to fulfil the job specification which was originally outlined for me. This was to control the major aspects of the football department outwith the first team operations.

"These were to include recruitment, scouting, transfer negotiations and youth development. I wasn't in control of any of these activities despite constantly making it clear to Craig Whyte that this was to be my remit. I outlined my medium to long term strategies for the Club on numerous occasions to no avail.

"There's no point in being a Director of Football unless you can control these areas, so, in that respect I'm totally comfortable with being made redundant at this time.

"The main thing for me is that Rangers survives and continues to operate as a great football club and I offer my full support going forward to ensure this happens."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/football-news/article/2621666

Duff and Phelps are doing what any good surgeon would do to a ailing patient in the operating theatre, they are cutting out everything that has got the cancer of Whyte attached to it. It's unfortunate that some good pieces at the club have to be cut out to save the rest from contamination, but it's for the good of the patient.