England squad for Euro 2012

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If England are seriously planning for the future then Carroll should be going ahead of people like Crouch & Holt, who at this stage are veteran journeymen.

They should be planning after the Euro's if that's the case.

Carroll shouldn't be rewarded for a month and a half of good football.

But if they are planning for the future and basically writing this tournament off then surely the experience of being there will be of a bigger benefit to Carroll in the long term than it would be for Holt or Crouch?

Obviously you could alao apply the same arguement to other younger guys who have missed out like Cleverly, Richards, Johnson, Sturrdige but I'm really just playing devils advocate here.

Exactly.

It’s nonsense that players who have performed all season like Holt and Crouch have to miss out because some overrated £35 million flop had 1 and half decent games in the last 2 fixtures.

Crouch’s scoring record for England is second to none tbh and he has far more experience than Carroll who done sod all for 99% of the season.

Leaving players like Ferdinand, Richards, Sturridge ect is going to backfire but hey ho I’ll get a good laugh at it on the way.

But if they are planning for the future and basically writing this tournament off then surely the experience of being there will be of a bigger benefit to Carroll in the long term than it would be for Holt or Crouch?

Obviously you could alao apply the same arguement to other younger guys who have missed out like Cleverly, Richards, Johnson, Sturrdige but I'm really just playing devils advocate here.

Agreed.

I just don't think Carroll has earned any right to be there though, and for that matter, Stuart fucking Downing ? Wow.

Richards is massively over rated on here. I would have taken due to a lack of other options but he isn't anything special and he isnt even an automatic pick for Man City either.

That maybe your opinion but it is not one I share, Richards is a fine right back who has an engine that very few RB out there possess. I can’t think of anyone who can bomb forward at such pace and offer real width on the right hand side, he is also strong as an OX which is vital at set pieces which he has shown at City.

He is a fans favorite at City for a good reason.

(tu)

Adam Johnson is such a gifted player, he should leave City.

I don’t really thin Mancini rates Johnson enough (well maybe that is harsh as he has talked about his potential) as the game time given to him is fairly low. Players like AJ need to be playing football regularly to improve and that’s what will happen if he is given more game time but I don’t see it at City.

Same as Dzeko really who I think needs to be starting more games to show his true potential.

I can just about understand the inclusion of Carroll, but Downing is a shocker of a choice. Zero goals and zero assists :BELM:

(tu)

Carroll at least gives England a different option if necessary. Downing doesn't add anything extra to the squad and I'm pretty astounded that he's been included.

I would probably go with:

GK's: Hart, Green, Ruddy

FB's: Richards, Walker, Cole, Baines

CB's: Cahill, Lescott, Jones, Ferdinand

RM's: Oxlade Chamerblain, Walcott

CM's: Lampard, Parker, Gerrard, Barry

LM's: Young, Johnson

CF's: Rooney, Carroll, Defoe, Sturridge

Werent far off.... Roy is that you? :sherlock:

John Ruddy ha ha he must be chuffed. Get married, have a bit of matrimonial T-Rex then straight off for a couple of weeks with the boys do the second best thing you like doing.

Downing, FFS Roy what are you thinking? More likely to be effective than Sturridge or Johnson or even Holt or Hooper? I think not.

Andy Carrol. Maybe he'll be a hero but I can't see it myself.

But good call with The Ox.

That is all worth talking about

Rumour has it that Hodgson is going to petition to uefa ad insist that the France, Sweden and Ukraine full backs dress as Stewart Downing's ex girlfriend as its the only way he will attack them.

Seriously though, this is why England fail so emphatically. Picking players on reputation.