Scottish FA will not take action against Rangers for going to court

Mols94

My link

Rangers will not be punished by the Scottish Football Association for challenging the imposition of a transfer embargo in a court of law.

The club contravened the governing body’s rules in raising a complaint over the decision of an independent tribunal at the Court of Session, with FIFA stating action should be taken to prevent football matters being taken to a civil court.

Having held discussions with the body for world football, Scottish FA chief executive Stewart Regan says that although Rangers did go against the rulebook in going to court, no further action will be taken.

“There is consideration that we have within our articles where going outside of the Scottish FA's articles and going to a civil court technically could have breached the articles,” Regan said.

“However, in light of Lord Glennie's comments, and having discussed the matter with FIFA, it is not our intention to take any action against that.

“We are aware of the reasons why Rangers did what they did. We will not be pursuing them for that.”

At the Court of Session, Lord Glennie ruled the Scottish FA did not have the jurisdiction to impose a signing embargo on Rangers on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute.

The punishment was not on the list of possible sanctions available to the original tribunal which imposed the ban, with the three-man panel instead activating a clause under which they could issue any punishment they saw fit at their discretion.

Having successfully challenged that in court, the tribunal will meet again shortly to discuss what punishment, if any, will now be imposed within the existing framework.

Rangers have already been fined and could now face being thrown out of the Scottish Cup, suspension from the game or even having their membership of the Scottish FA terminated.

I disagree.

Both the SFA and FIFA know that kicking up a fuss would see them back in court.

The SFA don't want that as it immediately gets FIFA on their backs, and FIFA don't want their dodgy rules wrecked in court a la Bosman.

The issue isn't big enough for them to take a stand on, so they rightly step back and let it go.

I'm sure they will ban us from the SC, they have to be seen to be doing something.

A lot of bears, including myself, wanted that boycotted anyway, so they save us the hassle.

I disagree.

The SFA don't want that as it immediately gets FIFA on their backs, and FIFA don't want their dodgy rules wrecked in court a la Bosman.

The issue isn't big enough for them to take a stand on, so they rightly step back and let it go.

I'm sure they will ban us from the SC, they have to be seen to be doing something.

A lot of bears, including myself, wanted that boycotted anyway, so they save us the hassle.

And by banning us from the SC, doesnt that cut out a chunk of money that would go to them? :)

And by banning us from the SC, doesnt that cut out a chunk of money that would go to them? :)

It does!... but we might..i say might, have won a watch here, part of his statement says "the tribunal will meet again shortly to discuss what punishment, if any, will now be imposed within the existing framework.

I like the "if any" part :)

It does!... but we might..i say might, have won a watch here, part of his statement says "the tribunal will meet again shortly to discuss what punishment, if any, will now be imposed within the existing framework.

I like the "if any" part :)

I wasnt too sure and thats why I asked.

So, If the SC ban is what they hit us with, then they are financially cutting their own throat.

Oh dear Stewart, maybe you should have stuck to cricket.

Dont want to speak to soon,, but think this effectively says we will not get a suspension or kicked out. Had they done that they would have sited the threat of action on the other scottish clubs as leaving them no choice,, ,now they wid have to say its all their doing and they wont have the balls for that :):crabflute: :crabflute:

My initial reaction was :party:

However, I won't be surprised if its a "we won't punish you for taking us to court...." but BOOM right in the davina mccolls... "your suspended for the first round of fixtures"

Hopefully this is an end to it and we get nothing more than a year out the Scottish Cup! After all we do have bigger things to worry about at the moment, a la CVA!

Got to say, fair play to Regan on this one. If they wanted to, justly or not, they could have kicked up a lot of fuss over this.

I would wait until the penalty that replaces the transfer embargo is announced.

They may not be taking action for going to court, but they will potentially be expelling or suspending us from football for the original offence.

Do not take any good news from these characters at face value. Wait till we know the final content of all SFA punishment.

Got to say, fair play to Regan on this one. If they wanted to, justly or not, they could have kicked up a lot of fuss over this.

You're fishing, surely?

The only reason the SFA are not charging Rangers with going to court is because they'd lose, and they'd lose because we've done nothing wrong.

They will hand out as tough a punishment as they can then. Expulsion? No. Suspension? Maybe from the Cup. Or we play in the Cup but are penalised financially? They are not through with us and I would have to think FIFA have told them to penalise us or else.

They will hand out as tough a punishment as they can then. Expulsion? No. Suspension? Maybe from the Cup. Or we play in the Cup but are penalised financially? They are not through with us and I would have to think FIFA have told them to penalise us or else.

They cannot penalise us financially in the SC without us agreeing to some kind of deal - it is simply not a sanction available to them. (Indeed, it's not clear how you can be ejected from something (the SC) that you aren't in yet.)

Sanctions are:

Fine (max £100k)

Suspension

Expulsion from participation in the game

Ejection from the Scottish Cup

Termination of membership

I disagree.

Spot on, look too closely at any FIFA rule and dodgy isn't the phrase !!!! We have shown a united front and that scares both FIFA and the SFA. All we have done is stand up to corrupt bullies and they realise it. Those in glass houses an' that....