Would you be for or against changing Ibrox to generate some funds

Gers1690

Fuck that.

Is nothing sacred when it comes to making a few bob?

You would risk killing the club to protect a name that everyone would still use as a common expression regardless of naming rights ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally open to it, unfortunately, as much as we don't like to see money dictate the game, it does, and it's clear from recent developments that we need to be more savvy financially... If we did go down this road I would like ibrox used in the name

I've always been uneasy about Ibrox being renamed in the same manner many other stadiums around the world have been.

However times have severely changed for us and if this is an additional revenue stream that can be accessed then it's an absolute no-brainer.

It will always be Ibrox to the support anyway.

If a conglomerate offered to pay something like £10m-£50m for like a 10year deal, for example, would you be happy with it? If it meant we could clear some of our debts and look to the future...

I wouldn't exactly like the name changed, but if it helped us go forward and bounce back as quickly as possible, why not?

Scotia Helicopters anyone??

You would risk killing the club to protect a name that everyone would still use as a common expression regardless of naming rights ?

Talk about being a drama queen :lol: :lol:

There are many things which threaten the existance our club at the moment - some fictitious moonbeam nonsense about raising £10M from re-naming the stadium is not one of them.

Shite. Ud rather go bust than plan for future?

It has been called Ibrox since it was built around 113 years ago.

Whist it has been modernised (and effectively re-built) on numerous occasions it has always been called IBROX.

To now suggest from a "throwaway, non-sensical" comment from a guy that doesn't even own our club yet, that by not re-naming it (and it has not been proved there is a market out there that would be willing to pay such monies) that this would see us go bust in the future is frankly hysterical.

:lol: :lol:

If a conglomerate offered to pay something like £10m-£50m for like a 10year deal, for example, would you be happy with it? If it meant we could clear some of our debts and look to the future...

I wouldn't exactly like the name changed, but if it helped us go forward and bounce back as quickly as possible, why not?

Absolutely against this. Maybe those in favour would be in favour of also changing the name of the club...oh wait.

We might as well rename everything. And why do you now favour shirt spoonorhip because it is now normal? The money from any of this doesn't go to the clubs, it goes on footballers and their agents: this has been the way of football since it has become corporate, and it is selling everything till there is nothing left.

I remember being disappointed when they decided to go with shirt sponsors - but they did and now it's widely regarded as the norm.

I expect we will have stadium sponsorship and that too will become the norm.

I disagree, shirt sponsor and stadium re-naming are 2 different things.

With shirt sponsoring, the sponsor obviously wants their "brand" to be seen to as wide an audience as possible and seek the benefits from working in partnership with an established club (or "brand") - they are NOT re-naming the Club.

Sponsors also have the opportunity to advertise within the stadium, and in some cases even sell their products.

I honestly don't think there is a market for stadium sponsorship (or re-naming the stadium, basically because of the emotive backlash from fans and the harm it might do to their brand.

The only successful stadium sponsorship have been those where it is a newly-built stadium - mainly because the fans have yet to have any emotional attachment to the building. (Emirates, Reebok, Etihad, etc..............)

Look at the furore with Newcastle last year - hardly a glorious advertising campaign for Sports Direct (or whatever the tacky sportwear outfit is called).

As I said before, if there was an opportunity in this - Murray or Whyte would have milked that "cash-cow" to death.

And why do you now favour shirt spoonorhip because it is now normal?

I didn't once say I favoured shirt sponsorship. I don't in fact. But, it's the reality.

I expect there to be stadium sponsorship if a deal can be struck. Because football sold it's soul for money long, long ago.

A reluctant yes from me. As long as it wasnt owt stupid like that adult dating website bollocks just after we went into admin.

This for me, reluctantly have to accept that it is one way of raising much needed income.

I havenae read through all 7 pages but it strikes me that if we settle our tax bill with HMRC we could, as part of the deal, rename Ibrox as Her Majesties Ibrox (HMI) (all sorts of double entendre's in that!) :sherlock:

I really can't see this happening unless it's a massive multi-national company....and as it stands, I would certainly not like the idea of re-naming one of the most famous iconic grounds in world football.

Maybe - The Blue Knights Stadium !!! ha ha - they've got money burnin a hole in their pocket have they not ? ? ?

So HOW do we generate up front large sums of revenue. This seems an easy option for Green but anybody looking to get involved in any kind of sponsorship with Rangers will be looking at getting it at knock down price because they know our position. All for training facilty being renamed but not sure about Ibrox as it's just as important as our 140 yr history that we're clingin onto by bitin fingernails. Imagine the 1st OF game and they commentator says "well you join us here at the Easeyjet Arena " ................. just doesnae feel right .