Walter

The Smith-led consortium, backed by money men Jim McColl and Douglas Park, saw their rescue package rejected by Charles Green last month. The new owners allegedly demanded £20 million to sell up after purchasing the club’s assets for £5.5 million.

Smith added: “The reason I agreed to lend my name and reputation to their bid was because they were not looking for anything in return. That was the big difference from other people involved at the present moment. They were prepared to fund the club without looking for anything back. Equally, I wouldn’t have taken any money, as I’ve already made a good living out of Rangers. The plan was to help with the running of Rangers, with every penny coming in – including season tickets – going directly to the club. Never at any time was money going to be taken out and both Jim and Douglas deserve praise, even though it didn’t come to fruition.

“To say I am now bitterly disappointed doesn’t begin to express my feelings. Our plan was to ensure the club settled down over the next couple of years as there was not going to be a massive influx of cash. They were going to be two really hard years. Then we were going to try to raise some money. We were perfectly clear in what we were doing and what we were going into.

“Now the club has been denied the benefit of having two of Scotland’s best businessmen in Jim and Douglas at the helm. That’s the most disappointing factor. Rangers needed them. That’s why I had no hesitation going in to back them and front their bid. They were the best bet to get Rangers back on track. I was confident we would bring back tradition and pride to Ibrox. Sadly, that is now over.”

More to come from Walter, im sure. If its true that they asked for 20 million, its a disgrace.

“I was disappointed these two people didn’t manage to gain control of the club and I still think both of them represent by far the best option for the future.

Snippet from the rhecord. He "still" thinks. rhecord stating they were told 20 million as a fact. :p20:

Smith added: “The reason I agreed to lend my name and reputation to their bid was because they were not looking for anything in return....."

What a loads of shyte. Two businessmen looking for 'nothing in return'.

If true why did they not quietly fund TBK's bid? Why not buy the club and hand it over to a fan based group to run or give the Ibrox playing surface to the fans like Bates did at Chelsea.

Too many people doing too much talking to the mhedia.

Money talks, bullshit walks (away).

Smith added: “The reason I agreed to lend my name and reputation to their bid was because they were not looking for anything in return....."

What a loads of shyte. Two businessmen looking for 'nothing in return'.

If true why did they not quietly fund TBK's bid? Why not buy the club and hand it over to a fan based group to run or give the Ibrox playing surface to the fans like Bates did at Chelsea.

Too many people doing too much talking to the mhedia.

Money talks, bullshit walks (away).

Are you serious? You think McColl needs Rangers to make money. Hes trying to save us getting fckd again. He buys for 10 million, he kisses that dough goodbye. Why should he pay 20 million to green? For a months work, green wants about 12 million profit doh

As much as I'd love to see McColl & Park buying us, I'll still ask where were you when we were up for grabs for "loose change" to both of you?

Thats a question you should ask duff and phelps. They tried to buy before green signed the deal. It was only because green had the mythical cva fail that green had first dibs. Im pretty sure that McColl knew that the cva was pie in the sky, as confirmed by hmrc. Its a scandal, made worse by greens greed.

Hopefully he'll be gone by the weekend and people who care about the club have the keys. Id trust Walters judgement over anybody thats been involved in this charade.

Are you serious? You think McColl needs Rangers to make money. Hes trying to save us getting fckd again. He buys for 10 million, he kisses that dough goodbye. Why should he pay 20 million to green? For a months work, green wants about 12 million profit doh

5, 10 or 20 million is chump change to McColl. Buy the club and set up for the future so we can never again be in this position. In that case he would get something out of it the eternal gratitude of all Bears.

So why doesn't McColl get together with Green an do a deal? 20M is just paper talk.

Why did he and Park not buy before Green?? Plenty opportunity.

We will probably never get to the real truth behind "the bids" or "the failed bids".

I posted a comment in feb stating "will someone waken me up in july when this nightmare is over"! Thank fuck I didnt state which year <cr>

We will probably never get to the real truth behind "the bids" or "the failed bids".

I posted a comment in feb stating "will someone waken me up in july when this nightmare is over"! Thank fuck I didnt state which year <cr>

I blame the people who insisted on referring to Bill Miller (remember him) as 'Bill Murray' Ever since then it's been like Groundhog Day :sleep1:

The Smith-led consortium, backed by money men Jim McColl and Douglas Park, saw their rescue package rejected by Charles Green last month. The new owners allegedly demanded £20 million to sell up after purchasing the club’s assets for £5.5 million.

Smith added: “The reason I agreed to lend my name and reputation to their bid was because they were not looking for anything in return. That was the big difference from other people involved at the present moment. They were prepared to fund the club without looking for anything back. Equally, I wouldn’t have taken any money, as I’ve already made a good living out of Rangers. The plan was to help with the running of Rangers, with every penny coming in – including season tickets – going directly to the club. Never at any time was money going to be taken out and both Jim and Douglas deserve praise, even though it didn’t come to fruition.

“To say I am now bitterly disappointed doesn’t begin to express my feelings. Our plan was to ensure the club settled down over the next couple of years as there was not going to be a massive influx of cash. They were going to be two really hard years. Then we were going to try to raise some money. We were perfectly clear in what we were doing and what we were going into.

“Now the club has been denied the benefit of having two of Scotland’s best businessmen in Jim and Douglas at the helm. That’s the most disappointing factor. Rangers needed them. That’s why I had no hesitation going in to back them and front their bid. They were the best bet to get Rangers back on track. I was confident we would bring back tradition and pride to Ibrox. Sadly, that is now over.”

More to come from Walter, im sure. If its true that they asked for 20 million, its a disgrace.

In a word ...bollocks

bollox.gif

Let's not forget the club was up for sale for around the last 4 - 5 years (maybe more, maybe less).

That would have provided ample time for the club to get its house into order - downsizing, living within its means, paying off debt and having contingency monies in place to deal with the BTC.

The fact that nobody wanted to be the "fall guy", (Walter included), the ones to put the constraints in place, the ones to curb fans' expectations - says to me that no "Rangers Men" had the cojones to take us on at the time.

To come out now and start blabbing to the media about "what they would have done" and "what promises they would have made" smacks to me of pure cowardice. :angry:

We should be feeling sorry for them if anything, maybe we could put up a collection for them......oh wait

I know this is very bad of me but...............a week to go until I'm off on holiday, so............... maybe an ex player talked them into giving him the money to hold on to rolleyes.gif

it can almost be guaranteed that, like Green, they would have been taking a shareholding in the club - talk of taking nothing in return is utter kack. If McColl had put in £20 million it would have made him the majority shareholder and therefor the owner - then he would have had to suffer the demands of fans that he spend a bundle rebuilding the team (which he's certainly not willing to do).

thats how business tends to work, green now has something people want, therefore he can name his price

If McColl was adamant he wanted to save us then he could easily have stuck up a CVA like Green's mob and agreed to buy the assets like Greens mob

But again these so called Rangers fans were hiding when needed most

£20M is a tad steep but that is the figure that the overseas businessman quoted last month, so no need to doubt it.

The answer to your question is this, the Green consortium bought the club when nobody else wanted to clench their cheeks and he who owns something, has a right to determine a sell on value.

We may not like it but the Green consortium clearly have an agenda to make money and their vision for selling the club in possibly 3 or 4 years time must be to walk away with a £15M profit. A Walter consortium or whoever else, will need to stump up the cash now or wait a few years and still stump up the cash.

There is no getting away from it, Walter coming out in the media is just to rouse support from us, in a weak bid to reduce the asking price.

Let me give this scenario:

You buy a house in the city for a very cheap price because it had structural damage; let's say £50k. Your plans were to sort the structural damage and sell it on for £200k in a few years, when the market picked up.

Someone started noising up the community because they did not think you should own the house or you were not right for the community, would you:

A) Sell it to the friend of the community for the same money you spent and bail out?

B) Tell them to mind their own business, as they had the chance to buy when you did?

C) Offer to sell the house for the exact money you planned to sell it for in three years time?

Be truthful on this one and you may see why Green, and his backers, are sat firmly in the boardroom seats at Ibrox.

£20M is a tad steep but that is the figure that the overseas businessman quoted last month, so no need to doubt it.

The answer to your question is this, the Green consortium bought the club when nobody else wanted to clench their cheeks and he who owns something, has a right to determine a sell on value.

We may not like it but the Green consortium clearly have an agenda to make money and their vision for selling the club in possibly 3 or 4 years time must be to walk away with a £15M profit. A Walter consortium or whoever else, will need to stump up the cash now or wait a few years and still stump up the cash.

There is no getting away from it, Walter coming out in the media is just to rouse support from us, in a weak bid to reduce the asking price.

Let me give this scenario:

You buy a house in the city for a very cheap price because it had structural damage; let's say £50k. Your plans were to sort the structural damage and sell it on for £200k in a few years, when the market picked up.

Someone started noising up the community because they did not think you should own the house or you were not right for the community, would you:

A) Sell it to the friend of the community for the same money you spent and bail out?

B) Tell them to mind their own business, as they had the chance to buy when you did?

C) Offer to sell the house for the exact money you planned to sell it for in three years time?

Be truthful on this one and you may see why Green, and his backers, are sat firmly in the boardroom seats at Ibrox.

Fantastic post and analogy (tu)