Thoughts on Division Three

Larry-AV

Background

I live in Birmingham and support Aston Villa and have been a Rangers Fan since childhood, before Aston Villa in fact.

Here I offer some advice and encouragement to Rangers from experiences I had when AVFC was in the Third Division.

Respect

The Third Division can be viewed as a springboard, but it also needs to be treated with respect.

SFL3 is at Level 4 despite the name and as people here have said, the opposition are the 'diddy teams'.

However, for each and every one of these 'diddy teams', their games against Rangers will be Cup Finals.

It would be arrogant to assume that Rangers will not lose any matches, although things might end up that way.

Support

The Posts I have read here regarding STs reminds me of when Aston Villa was in the Third Division (1970-71 and 1971-72).

The Home gates were high throughout (48,110 v Bournemouth was the highest) and there was substantial travelling support too.

Charlie Aitken, AVFC's longest serving player, said later 'I have played in front of 12,000 people in the First Division and 30,000 in the Third'.

Players

Rangers need players that will 'do the job' in Division 3 (Level 4); 'marquee' signings would serve no useful purpose.

However, once things start to pick up, do not be surprised if players that one would not imagine ever joining ANY SFL Club did (and probably in preference to higher placed Clubs) choose to join Rangers.

I remember when Ian Ross left Liverpool (Division 1) to join Aston Villa (Division 3); this transfer was not the end of his career, but became a boost to it. Ian Ross became Captain of Aston Villa and led AVFC back from the Third Division to the First.

It not only can happen - it has happened.

Promotions

The aim for Rangers is to get back to Level 1 as soon as possible. If this becomes 3PIAR, excellent. I hope it happens in this manner and then Rangers will have 54 League Championships and the Championship of every Division in Scotland too. It is an unwanted 'opportunity' of course, but (SFA Licence permitting), one that is there to be taken.