This isn't going to happen, but......................

Could Rangers insist on being allowed to play in England if they wanted to? The answer, according to one Scots advocate, can be found here

It's been classified as 'news' on the website on which it appears, but it's just a speculative article. Still, it might be something to look at in the future. Or not.

Could Rangers insist on being allowed to play in England if they wanted to? The answer, according to one Scots advocate, can be found here

It's been classified as 'news' on the website on which it appears, but it's just a speculative article. Still, it might be something to look at in the future. Or not.

Hows about Ajax applying? European law and all that

Us in england is just a fantasy really. It would be great, but will never happen. We'd prosper down there, and eventually get up there with the top clubs in europe.

Unfortunately were stuck in scotland. In a league system thats only going downhill. I honestly think, by the time were able to qualify for europe, there'll be that many qualifiers, it will be near impossible to get into the group stages.

Us in england is just a fantasy really. It would be great, but will never happen. We'd prosper down there, and eventually get up there with the top clubs in europe.

Unfortunately were stuck in scotland. In a league system thats only going downhill. I honestly think, by the time were able to qualify for europe, there'll be that many qualifiers, it will be near impossible to get into the group stages.

Can't argue with that.

Hence why Uefa are happy with the way we're being treated by our own association.

this is very true and unfortunately this summer was our chance to make our move and we missed it

Glad this has been raised. I'd never thought before of the possibility of going to England.

Why has this never been discussed before?

Try being sarcastic next time.

I posted the link because an advocate has written (off his own bat) an article about the possibility, from a legal standpoint, of Rangers being able to compel the English footballing authorities to allow us to play in an English league. It's a different take on the matter.

Try being sarcastic next time.

I posted the link because an advocate has written (off his own bat) an article about the possibility, from a legal standpoint, of Rangers being able to compel the English footballing authorities to allow us to play in an English league. It's a different take on the matter.

which will take about 4 years to go through court....

The guy's a total fanny. If you take his argument to its logical conclusion then it is illegal to organise sport into leagues and it should be a free-for-all with every club in the country able to play every other team. Just one more of those nutters who wants to get his name in the papers. Even the examples of court cases have nothing to do with our situation. Besides, there is nothing to stop us setting up our own federation and inviting teams from any country in the world to take part. We would not however be part of UEFA or FIFA and would therefore be banned from their competitions or playing matches against their clubs.

Hows about Ajax applying? European law and all that

It's a perfectly valid case and one I expect to find it's way to the courts in the fullness of time.

Soon enough we'll witness an expanded European league set-up and it will consign many fine clubs to competition's far from the top. The likes of ManU, Bayern, Inter and more will create this league via a wholly compliant EUFA to the detriment of those not invited.

It will become a cartel - and it should be challenged in court. Restraint of trade within the EU is illegal. Just as the footballer contracts of old proved to be when Bosman rightfully challenged them.

It really grinds my gears when you see the likes of Fulham, Swansea etc skewing the transfer market because they are fortunate to be part of a cartel.

And the lawyers case made in that article is not the only time I've heard it from the leagals.

My thoughts as well.

We're a diddy country in terms of football. I'd of loved to have joined English football at any level

Dont talk mince, and i repped you in error lol

i always talk mince, don't hold it against me its years of alcohol abuse catching up with me, would be a boring forum if we all had the same views, i shall return said rep next time i'm on laptop and not on phone

It's a perfectly valid case and one I expect to find it's way to the courts in the fullness of time.

Soon enough we'll witness an expanded European league set-up and it will consign many fine clubs to competition's far from the top. The likes of ManU, Bayern, Inter and more will create this league via a wholly compliant EUFA to the detriment of those not invited.

It will become a cartel - and it should be challenged in court. Restraint of trade within the EU is illegal. Just as the footballer contracts of old proved to be when Bosman rightfully challenged them.

It really grinds my gears when you see the likes of Fulham, Swansea etc skewing the transfer market because they are fortunate to be part of a cartel.

And the lawyers case made in that article is not the only time I've heard it from the leagals.

Prety much agree, people arent looking at the big picture when they say Rangers should move to England as UEFA will never sanction it. The time will come very soon when the big clubs form a breakaway league and no doubt it will have the blessing of UEFA....due to UEFA recieving financial reward for allowing it. Now if UEFA said tomorrow Rangers can move to England then it then means any club can play where they like and a European league will be set up the next day under a flag of convenience. Rangesr will then be in an English league set up that no longer contains the top 6 clubs.

Only it won't be UEFA compliant as no fucker is going to take the chance of being relegated at the end of the season. It will be a closed shop and they won't need UEFA or FIFA because they will be raking in so much cash they won't give a damn about the Champions League. It will be just like sports in America where there will be franchises and clubs will relocate to where-ever they can earn most money. I wouldn't start dreaming yet. Where was the bloody oil sheikh when we were up for sale at £5.5M?

As for your legals they are just talking shite and rubbing their hands at the idea that they could make millions out of it. It's bollocks and will never happen.

i always talk mince, don't hold it against me its years of alcohol abuse catching up with me, would be a boring forum if we all had the same views, i shall return said rep next time i'm on laptop and not on phone

Indeed, I suffer the same issues as well lol

Tell it to Mr. Bosman (tu)

Bosman was a totally different case as it concerned a club which was refusing a former employee the right to work. He won because of legislation covering the free movement of workers within Europe. His case did not concern his taking part in a competition run by national and international federations. If it had done he would not have had a leg to stand on. International sport is run on the basis of national federations which organise the sport within the boundaries of member states and members of one country cannot take part in the competition of another country without the accord of their own and the other country's federation.

As I stated in another thread there is nothing preventing us buying Portsmouth and playing in England as long as we are based in England. There is no way on earth that the SFA, UEFA and FIFA would allow us to play English league matches in Glasgow. The few exemptions which occur, Monaco in France, Andorra in Spain or Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham in England come about because either the country is too small to have a federation or, as in the case of Wales, there was no professional league when the teams joined the English league setup. Any such transfer would now be contrary to UEFA rules so can be counted out.

The only way we shall ever leave Scottish football is either by way of a UEFA sponsored European league (and let's not believe that a country presently sitting 28th in the UEFA rankings, 15 places behind Cyprus, is going to get a place in an 18/20 team league) or else we start our own federation outwith UEFA with the resulting consequences and take our chances against the big clubs in Europe (if we can convince them to join). How would you feel about trying our hand against Man C, PSG etc with their Arab billions behind them while we are desperately looking for shareholders to put a piddling £1M into the club to keep going from day to day?

Maybe you sit in your bath every evening singing "One day my prince will come" while thinking of all this shite you have read from blood-sucking lawyers looking to take £1000 an hour to sort out our case in the European Court of Human Rights but there are others, many others, out here who look to the real world and who now accept that we shall have to struggle for the next 3 years to get back to the top division. I know for a fact that I will get there long before you ever do.