Massive cash blow for SPL as they lose £17m in new TV deal

hellfirejet

Massive cash blow for SPL as they lose £17m in new TV deal

AFTER weeks of negotiations a new five-year Sky agreement has been clinched but it’s well short of the millions on offer when Rangers were in the SPL.

THE collapse of Rangers has cost the SPL a massive £17million from one TV

deal alone.

After weeks of negotiations the game’s top flight finally clinched a new five-year

Sky agreement yesterday but it’s well short of the millions on offer when Rangers were in the SPL.

Last year Sky and the country’s leading clubs had settled on £80m over five years but the contracts were never signed. And it’s believed the deal will give the SPL only £63m over a similar period.

But from that figure £9m will have to be paid to the SFL over the next three years and then £4m over the remaining two years of the deal.

That, of course, means several SPL clubs are still facing financial hardship.

With Rangers in the Third Division the SFL were able to sell their TV rights to the SPL for just more than £1m a year for the next three years and that fee will have to come out of the new Sky deal.

The SPL must also pay a £2m settlement fee – agreed when the top clubs broke away in 1998 – every year and that, too, will be taken out of the new telly package.

So, with SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and Celtic chief Peter Lawwell, who led the negotiating team, having agreed a new package worth just less than £13m a year the amount to be spread among the 12 top clubs is actually only around £10m a year for the next three years.

For the remaining two years of the deal the figure will be closer to £11m, although there will be clauses in the new agreement which will allow for an increase should Rangers win promotion every season for the next three.

Fuck the SPL I hope they all go tits up wankers! :crabflute:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Far too much IMO, akin to covering the welsh league set up, wonder how much they would pay for that. I believe prize money, etc, has to come out of the sky deal too, so on average each club will be getting a lot less than the 10 mill decided by 12.

Still too much tho, will be cancelling sky today.

Basically £10m a year between 12 clubs with Sellik taking about a 25% cut of that at least ha ha ha ha.

Add that to the overseas t.v rights being canceled that's another minus £2.75m, Clydesdale bank pulling out at the end of this season is another £10m loss, Rangers fans not buying tickets for away games minus 2 or 3 million as season as well.

The suicide pact league really is doing a great job on the commercial front???, Would imagine that £10m per season will go down not up with all the clauses written into the sky deal etc. Can't see many Rangers fans keeping sky sports now paying over £200 a year to watch 5 sfl games so once the ratings flatline so will the money.

I'm sure the English are going to be excited about watching Ross co vs Inverness while waiting for Champions league winners Chelsea vs EPL champs Man city to start?

Just hurry up and die spl so we can have a laugh.....

I'm disappointed in sky tv because paying the spl £13m a year for three years without us is crazy.

So it was £16m a season with Rangers in the spl and £13m without,doesn't make financial sense to me,when you look at sky sports scottish football viewing figures (posted via a link on RM weeks ago).

Ok,they get to show some of our games,but sky won't get the same advertising income as a Rangers v tic game.

Supporters on RM were calling for sky customers to cancell their contracts,but I couldn't see a valid reason untill now.

Don't blame the SFL for selling their tv rights to the spl,that's just over £1m less in spl's biscuit tin.

Basically £10m a year between 12 clubs with Sellik taking about a 25% cut of that at least ha ha ha ha.

Add that to the overseas t.v rights being canceled that's another minus £2.75m, Clydesdale bank pulling out at the end of this season is another £10m loss, Rangers fans not buying tickets for away games minus 2 or 3 million as season as well.

The suicide pact league really is doing a great job on the commercial front???, Would imagine that £10m per season will go down not up with all the clauses written into the sky deal etc. Can't see many Rangers fans keeping sky sports now paying over £200 a year to watch 5 sfl games so once the ratings flatline so will the money.

I'm sure the English are going to be excited about watching Ross co vs Inverness while waiting for Champions league winners Chelsea vs EPL champs Man city to start?

Hahaha, DIE A BASTARDS!

I'm disappointed in sky tv because paying the spl £13m a year for three years without us is crazy.

So it was £16m a season with Rangers in the spl and £13m without,doesn't make financial sense to me,when you look at sky sports scottish football viewing figures (posted via a link on RM weeks ago).

Ok,they get to show some of our games,but sky won't get the same advertising income as a Rangers v tic game.

Supporters on RM were calling for sky customers to cancell their contracts,but I couldn't see a valid reason untill now.

Don't blame the SFL for selling their tv rights to the spl,that's just over £1m less in spl's biscuit tin.

This deal might actually be funnier than no deal at all, just wait and see the chaos over the next few weeks and months when the battle lines are drawn over voting rights and who gets what from the T.V. deal.

Liewell was leading the talks with sky, has he done whats best for the spl or whats best for his mob?

No doubts about it this deal is going to be heavily weighted in Selliks favour the diddy teams wont like that.

Once the 11-1 voting rights issue comes up and it will civil war will start in the spl, liewell wont except a single penny being taken away from his mob and the spl will be looking to shaft nonce fc as much as they can to claw money back.

The whole thing is going to descend into farce before long....

Welldone to the SPL( the silly peoples league).With Doncaster,Lawwell running the SPL and Regan at the SFA (this man nearly ruined cricket in England)I think Scottish Footballs in good hands. (I don't think so).PS And I don't think I am being Bigoted by my opinion.

I've got my shovel ready to bury the lot of them.

We all saw that coming. Pity the s.p.l clubs couldn't. Hell mend them

They saw it coming, pity hatred got in the way of sane thinking..........I hope we get a full sweep of euro exits in the qualifiers for me it would the icing on the big Rangers cake.

I care, this whole deal was negotiated on the back of my club and I want to know how much we are getting from it

We are not entitled to any of the media rights in the SFL. Our membership is as an affiliate and thAt requires 4 years membership before getting a share. However David Langmuir has stated that the SFL would look at it fairly and see what Rangers could get.

But the rules are that we do not get anything.

So they're down £5.2m a season from TV money alone.

Add in say 2 matches with 7,500 at £30 a ticket that's £450,000. Programmes, pies and Bovrils may bring that up to over £0.5m.

You're looking at clubs losing almost a million a season.

The SPL may not see out the season, let alone the clubs within it.

So they're down £5m a season from TV money alone.

Add in say 2 matches with 7,500 at £30 a ticket that's £450,000.

You're looking at clubs losing almost a million a season.

The SPL may not see out the season, let alone the clubs within it.

The good thing is the bastards running our game and the Spl chairmen deserve this.

10m split 12 ways isn't a lot! And it will be split evenly as the farriers have now lost the only thing that kept them in any sort of power was Us and the 11-1 voting system!

How long till the voting system is up for debate?

I would enjoy watching septic trying to protect their position of control when there every other team can gain from their loss. I can see the other teams (also scum) moving to level the payments as soon as possible to protect their integrity and sporting fairness, oh, and get more money off the paedo's.

I feel a song coming on myself!

WATP