Massive cash blow for SPL as they lose £17m in new TV deal

hellfirejet

I didn't know the figures were amended for the existing contract. What is the SPL getting this month from Sky and did they say why they were reducing it? Was the infamous clause that Sky got the rights to televise minimum of four Old Firm games in the season or that Rangers and celtic had to be members of SPL?

You don't need to press the point about the SFL payment (tu)

The existing contract was for £13M (or might even have been for £13.5M) and still had one year to run. This contract was meant to be torn up and replaced with a new deal for £80M over 5 years. It is obvious that was oot the windae. But there has been negotiating going on - not least no deal would have been signed unless the SPL got the right to the SFL games. If they were going to honour the final year they would just have gone ahead. But now they have to pay £1M to the SFL (on top of the payment I'm not allowed to mention :rolleyes: ).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are Sky paying the SPL this year? I understand that the SPL payment to SFL is not dependent on any TV deal. What is ESPN paying the SPL for showing our games? surely it will cover the additional 1 million the SPL pay the SFL.

Is the record using the 80 million contract being scrapped to justify the 17 million loss to SPL clubs?

Sorry for the questions, I don't buy the papers and haven't had much time to do any searching online for the facts.

We are not entitled to any of the media rights in the SFL. Our membership is as an affiliate and thAt requires 4 years membership before getting a share. However David Langmuir has stated that the SFL would look at it fairly and see what Rangers could get.

But the rules are that we do not get anything.

Well I ant buying shit then they can stick there sky sports and espn up there arse if the gers r gettin nothing. computer for me I'll send you all links when the gers game is on :21:

Personally, I hope the diddy teams change the voting structure to 11/1

Celtic get pissed off and breakaway to their own league where they invite no-one

So there is just a league with Celtic in it, but they get bored and start shagging each other and catch AIDS

I dont see an SPL2 next season, think its gonna be a 3 division set-up all run by one orgnisation, either SFL or SFA. The SPL will disappear, at least as a seperate organisation. What division we end up in I have no idea.

We'll be in the top division because Sky TV say so.

It's like a self fulfilling prophecy here.Less tv money,but more diddly games on the tv,season ticket sales down.Why go go along and watch diddly team when said diddly team are on the telly more often..........repeat until liquidation.................ha fucking ha.

I dont see an SPL2 next season, think its gonna be a 3 division set-up all run by one orgnisation, either SFL or SFA. The SPL will disappear, at least as a seperate organisation. What division we end up in I have no idea.

No spl 2 if we tell them to stick the invite up their arse.............we'll do it the Rangers way,hard work ethic and with integrity....

Can't wait for the house of cards to collapse.

No spl 2 if we tell them to stick the invite up their arse.............we'll do it the Rangers way,hard work ethic and with integrity....

Can't wait for the house of cards to collapse.

Agree 100%

We should tell them we'll work our way through the divisions and arrive back at the top on merit.

All in the name of true sporting integrity, and not to satisfy other clubs' needs for the money we generate.

Yep, tv money is the only income stream the spl need to worry about.... <cr>

Aye yer right. I wiz just a bit pissed off when I saw the reported figure.

Finding a new league sponsor offering anything like what they have been getting will slap the wanks hard next season. I'm also sure that in this time of austerity all other sponsors and advertisers will be following SKY's lead and negotiating themselves improved deals.

Heyhey :D:beer1: