Boss hopeful on Beattie

Amac9

RANGERS hope to push through the signing of Craig Beattie despite already securing the signatures of three other strikers in the last 10 days.

The Light Blues have had the former Hearts player in for training and he has been reported to have knocked back an initial contract offer from the club.

After overseeing Gers’ 4-0 League Cup win over East Fife, Ally McCoist quickly turned his attentions back to negotiations with the Scotland cap.

And he is keen to recruit other key players having brought in Fran Sandaza, Kevin Kyle, Ian Black, Dean Shiels and resigned Andrew Little.

McCoist said: “We’re hopefully going to have a wee chat about that later on tonight and tomorrow morning with Charles, Kenny and Ian.

“We’ll see if we can push that one forward. We’ve nothing as yet in terms of signing him but Craig’s certainly someone we have been looking at.

“There’s obviously a good number of others on the radar as well and I’m delighted with the players we have brought in.

“Dean Shiels was in the top four PFA players so you could make an argument we’ve signed one of Kilmarnock’s best players.

“In my opinion, we’ve signed one of Hearts’ best players in Ian Black and we’ve signed two centre forwards who are proven at the top level in this country.

“That’s an indication of the kind of players we are trying to attract and I think it’s really encouraging they want to come to the club.

“I’m really excited about one or two of the youngsters coming in but they need a hand and we have to get a blend there and get them looked after and protected.

“We want to build a team that can compete against anyone in the country and that’s what we are hoping to do.”

With McCulloch, Little, Kyle, Sandaza, Shiels and McKay all capable of playing up top I don't think we need him.

With McCulloch, Little, Kyle, Sandaza, Shiels and McKay all capable of playing up top I don't think we need him.

Im thinking the same, after having signed 0 strikers since David Healy we now seem to be going striker crazy, would rather young Mckay gets a chance over Beattie.

I would take beattie, Jig can play in midfield or defence, remember we are signing players to cover for 2 years. I would love boca to stay and goian to go and bring in another CB and a holding mid and winger ....

Mculloch should never play in midfield or defence again IMO.

He is probably our number one striker and should stay there.

He will be a decent signing no doubt, but to say he'll be capable of more than Davis is pish.

He was capable of signing a contract with our club in it's current position. That is more than Davis done. That should never be forgotten.

Good luck Ian, I hope you prosper at our club whilst helping some of our young lads that will be playing around you. (tu)