What's ur first ever Rangers game?

Posso Blue

My dad started taking me to Rangers game when I was really young and I have little recollection of my first game. The first game I have vague memories of is a friendly/testimonial at Ibrox against a top premiership side, I think either Man Utd or Arsenal. My dad does not remember the game and so I have been unable to put a date on this memory. The game must would been between 1986-89 and thats all I have! Anyone able to add anything?

I was thinking my first game was against Arsenal but just seen it was in 1989 and score 2-1 to them. I know I was at this from the score but I was getting took to games well before then so I'm now puzzled <cr> Seem to remember 2 games at Ibrox against them but can't find nothing so must be wrong.

Went to a match against Utd around same time and will never forget it because of the rain, spoiled the match and I got soaked. Utd won 1-0 after a goal by Mark Hughes, does that sound like the same game?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team from Malta.

Beat them 8-0 in the away game. Dave McPherson scored 4.

:lol: Seen Alania Vlad mentioned above as well, remember thinking we would win it after the away result and I think we had just won an Ibrox tourney which included the likes of Sampdoria and maybe Milan.

Love it when Rangers produce a big result abroad, was proud as fuck after we destroyed Lyon :uk:

I was thinking my first game was against Arsenal but just seen it was in 1989 and score 2-1 to them. I know I was at this from the score but I was getting took to games well before then so I'm now puzzled <cr> Seem to remember 2 games at Ibrox against them but can't find nothing so must be wrong.

Went to a match against Utd around same time and will never forget it because of the rain, spoiled the match and I got soaked. Utd won 1-0 after a goal by Mark Hughes, does that sound like the same game?

I think your right mate, by 1989, I had been a few times, so I think it was a game prior. Funnily enough my memory is also a 1-0 defeat, and it was an evening kick off. Was the goal a penalty? Be good if we could get a date for this. Good to know this game actually did happen!

I think your right mate, by 1989, I had been a few times, so I think it was a game prior. Funnily enough my memory is also a 1-0 defeat, and it was an evening kick off. Was the goal a penalty? Be good if we could get a date for this. Good to know this game actually did happen!

:lol: Same m8, think Arsenal game was defo at night but Utd was day. Will see if I can find out if there was an earlier Arsenal game :pipe:

:lol: Same m8, think Arsenal game was defo at night but Utd was day. Will see if I can find out if there was an earlier Arsenal game :pipe:

Had a look in a Rangers book, we played United in August 1990 and lost 1-0. I wonder if I was at the Arsenal and United games and have mixed the two together <cr>

must be wrong, fixtures are at the bottom. 1980 is too early for me. Supposed to be from Arsenal's website, interesting fixture :beer1:

The man who took me to my 1st game has passed away (RIP grandad) so I'll probably never find out for sure now :dry:

OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH

An atmospheric black and white photo hanging on the walls of the Marble Halls depicts a midweek friendly between Arsenal and Rangers on a frosty December evening in 1951. The match was played to a sell-out crowd of 62,012, with a further 10,000 left clamouring for tickets outside.

The game was notable for being one of the first played under the recently installed Highbury floodlights. But it was also particularly resonant because it marked the resumption of a regular tradition stretching back almost 20 years, something which had been disrupted by World War Two: the annual friendly encounter with Glasgow Rangers which, overall, spanned four decades.

The fixture dated back to the 1930s, and was born out of the close friendship between two football legends, Arsenals Herbert Chapman and his Rangers counterpart Bill Struth. The series had been inaugurated at a time when the two teams were the dominant forces north and south of the border and soon came to be regarded as a Battle of Britain. Like Chapman, Struth was a charismatic individual, who had been at the helm at Ibrox since 1920 and was no less influential in building Rangers into a major football force and a modern club than Chapman was at Arsenal.

In the first year, the two teams met in a double-header, a week apart, the first at Ibrox, the second at Highbury, on September 20 and 27, 1933, with Rangers prevailing both times. Thereafter, the fixture was restricted to one match a year, with the venue alternating between London and Glasgow, either at the start or the end of the league season.

The regular sequence of matches ended at Highbury in August 1967 with Arsenal earning a 3-0 victory thanks to goals from Jon Sammels (2) and Geordie Armstrong. And a year later the last game in the series at Ibrox ended, fittingly, in a 2-2 draw.

And although the last friendly Arsenal played against Rangers was at the beginning of the 2003/04 season the ties between the two clubs remain strong. Before Christmas of last year a group of the Clubs Junior Gunners made the long trip north to Ibrox to watch a league match between Rangers and Hearts.

Results from Arsenal v Rangers friendlies:

1933/34 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)

1933/34 Arsenal 1, Rangers 3 (Highbury)

1934/35 Arsenal 1, Rangers 1 (Highbury)

1935/36 Rangers 2, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)

1936/37 Arsenal 2, Rangers 1 (Highbury)

1938/38 Rangers 1, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)

1951/52 Arsenal 3, Rangers 2 (Highbury)

1953/54 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)

1954/55 Arsenal 3, Rangers 3 (Highbury)

1955/56 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)

1958/59 Arsenal 0, Rangers 3 (Highbury)

1960/61 Rangers 4, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)

1962/63 Arsenal 2, Rangers 2 (Highbury, Jack Kelsey Testimonial)

1966/67 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)

1967/68 Arsenal 3, Rangers 0 (Highbury)

1968/69 Rangers 2, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)

1973/74 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)

1980/81 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)

1989/90 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)

1996/97 Rangers 3, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)

1996/97 Arsenal 3, Rangers 3 (Highbury, Nigel Winterburn Testimonial)

2003/04 Rangers 0, Arsenal 3 (Ibrox)

Cant say if it was my first game but I do rember getting a lift over into the hearts end. And big DJ had us up one nill inside

the first min.And my oldman having a go at the guy on the turnstil looking for a payment.he must have been one from the darkside.We won the cup 30 that day and iv been Hooked Eversince w.a.t.p :uk:

A cracker! 5-3 victory over Motherwell at Fir Park in 78. We were 2-0 down I think. The bears invaded. I thought the game might be abandoned but we went on to get a famous victory. Think big DJ got a couple-but I remember the big Motherwell centre half McVie scoring the most spectacular own goal ever! Would love to see footage of this. Went on to clinch the treble so happy days from the start! :crabflute:

Partick Thistle at Ibrox, watched the game after leaving a Glasgow dental hospital having had treatment on an abscess, just had to go regardless of the pain.

Walking into the main stand and seeing this fantastic stadium live for the first time will stay with me until my last breath and I still shed a tear thinking about it now.

Remember Colin Stein scored but the goal was disallowed and I recall shaking and crying that my hero had his goal struck off.

Rangers won in the end, think it was 3-1 but not sure.

What a memory!

21.gif21.gif21.gif21.gif

I remember my first game as being around '81-82' pre season against aHong Kong select I think and we won 3-1!!!

Copland front and start of my greatest journey ever!!!!

Do tell??

first game george young right back dont know if woodburn was suspended but always remember big corkey a center half for years did they not buy wullie telford from st mirren to replace him