Rangers 2 Juventus 0

Can any older bears remember this game at Ibrox. Rangers drew the Italian champions which had eight of the Italian World Cup squad from Argentina a few months earlier. After a one nil defeat in Turin the Rangers came back to win two nil at Ibrox. My memory of that game was the main stand who were normally very subdued stamping their feet and going mental.

Can any older bears remember this game at Ibrox. Rangers drew the Italian champions which had eight of the Italian World Cup squad from Argentina a few months earlier. After a one nil defeat in Turin the Rangers came back to win two nil at Ibrox. My memory of that game was the main stand who were normally very subdued stamping their feet and going mental.

The PSV match was my first ever game at Ibrox 0-0. The away match was a classic Rangers won 3-2. The PSV team were a good team. A few World Cup players in that team as well. The van der Kerkoff brothers played in the game.

I remember it mate...Juve were the favourites and we played great to put them out, when we knocked them out PSV were installed as the new favourites and we drew them next and put them out too!

I think we lost to Cologne in the next round :(

that aftershave was strong back than :lol:

Didn't wee McDonald score in that game ? Same year we beat the dutch so-called cracks on their own turf.... first time EVER they had lost three at home if memory serves ?

McDonald was a Rangers great... dunno if he was given the proper credit for his exploits in that blue jersey... a cracking wee player !

Didn't wee McDonald score in that game ? Same year we beat the dutch so-called cracks on their own turf.... first time EVER they had lost three at home if memory serves ?

McDonald was a Rangers great... dunno if he was given the proper credit for his exploits in that blue jersey... a cracking wee player !

Their first home defeat in a European competion.

If I remeber right, I was in the Copland stand that night. Think it was the only one finished at the time.

What about them hooligans in the Main Stand..stamping their feet..Jeez..give us all a bad name!

ohh how things change the last game i was up for i sat in the main stand and got told to sit and stop shouting at players and then the cunt that told me to sit passed round the mints like he was at church :angry: .mind he was told to gtf he enjoyed that :crabflute:

If memory serves me right wee doddy MacDonald & Gordon Smith scored,I was in the Centenary Stand,Broomloan Stand was still being built,Copland Road Stand was completed,what also stands out was that Juventus had a hatchet man in midfield but I forget his name now,but he did make quite alot of bad tackles.Also the crowd was good round about 40,000 plus. :21:

Juventus players in World Cup squad 1978

Dino Zoff

Antonio Cabrini

Antonella Cuccureddu

Claudio Gentile

Gaetano Scirea

Romeo Bennetti

Marco Tardelli

Franco Causio

Roberto Bettega

PSV players in World Cup squad 1978

Jan Poortviet

Adrie van Kraay

Willy Van Der Kerkof

Rene van der Kerkof

Ernie Brandts

Harry Lubse

If memory serves me right wee doddy MacDonald & Gordon Smith scored,I was in the Centenary Stand,Broomloan Stand was still being built,Copeland Road Stand was completed,what also stands out was that Juventus had a hatchet man in midfield but I forget his name now,but he did make quite alot of bad tackles.Also the crowd was good round about 40,000 plus. :21:

It's interesting that you mention Gordon Smith... When I lived in Reid street in Bridgeton (aged 10) I wrote him a letter asking for his and the teams autographs and he duly sent me all of the autographs on RFC embossed paper, and his own personal signature on a separate club picture :)

Remember it well, was seated in the old centenary stand Yellow section, still got the ticket stub and programme as it was my 1st ever european game.

Yip thats the fucker Claudio Gentile a dirty son of a bitch!also I remember them benches in the Centenary Stand were very hard to sit on,I used to sit on my Jacket for padding,I also used to wear a Rangers tammy you don't see any of them nowadays.I was also 21 years old then,alot of water under the bridge since then.