Scotland Supporters Association Statement

TartanTeddy

As someone at the game last night, I'm aware that the majority of fans there were angered by what appeard to be quite a large group, albiet a minority, of fans who chose to boo Ian Black. Many, including myself, spoke to some of the Association representatives to express our dismay at the actions of that minority. All of the reps we spoke to, who support a variety of clubs, were equally unhappy at the treatment given to Black. A statement was released today by ATAC to reinforce that point - a view shared by the vast majority of Scotland fans.

Fans' body condemn Black treatment

(UKPA) – 59 minutes ago

The Association of Tartan Army Clubs (ATAC) have condemned those Scotland fans who booed midfielder Ian Black during Wednesday's friendly match against Australia at Easter Road.

The 27-year-old Rangers player, who joined the Ibrox club in the summer after leaving Hearts, came on as a late substitute to make his debut to the vociferous displeasure of a section of the home support.

There had been controversy surrounding Black's call-up to the squad. Scotland manager Craig Levein had omitted team-mate Lee Wallace from the squad due to him now playing his football in the Irn-Bru Third Division.

Black was then targeted near the end of the game which the Scots won 3-1. It was unclear whether that was because of his Hearts and Rangers connections, or his general reputation as a hardy midfielder.

Speaking for ATAC, Jim Brown said: "One of the guiding principles of the Tartan Army is that when we come together club allegiances are put to the side as everyone throws their support behind the national team.

"It is therefore regrettable that a small section of the Scotland support chose to forget this and booed Ian when he took to the field and for the short period he was on the pitch.

"Given that this was Ian's full international debut, an occasion he has described as being the pinnacle of his career to date, these actions are especially disappointing."

After the match Black claimed the booing did not ruin the occasion.

"I'm absolutely delighted, it's probably the biggest and proudest moment of my career so far," he said.

Copyright © 2012 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

I'm not particulalry expecting any positive comments on this but thought it was important that Rangers fans know that the vast majority of the Scotland support, including the offical supporters representatives, which still include many Bears, are just as pissed off about last night as folk are on here. I think it's also worth pointing out that Ian Black has made it clear that it was still an extremely proud moment for him, and one which he regards as a high point in his career. Hopefuly he'll achieve, and be recognised for, even greater achievements both with Rangers and with Scotland.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it happened the first time an immediate response should have been for the others to clap and drown out the arseholes.

That did not happen and it was not an iosolated booing as it happened more than once.

At any football game when one side boo an opponent, for instance, then people generally cheer or clap to drown it out.

If the so called majority did this there would be no story to tell.

They did not, so in essence condone it which makes them just as bad imo.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

As someone at the game last night, I'm aware that the majority of fans there were angered by what appeard to be quite a large group, albiet a minority, of fans who chose to boo Ian Black. Many, including myself, spoke to some of the Association representatives to express our dismay at the actions of that minority. All of the reps we spoke to, who support a variety of clubs, were equally unhappy at the treatment given to Black. A statement was released today by ATAC to reinforce that point - a view shared by the vast majority of Scotland fans.

(UKPA) – 59 minutes ago

The Association of Tartan Army Clubs (ATAC) have condemned those Scotland fans who booed midfielder Ian Black during Wednesday's friendly match against Australia at Easter Road.

The 27-year-old Rangers player, who joined the Ibrox club in the summer after leaving Hearts, came on as a late substitute to make his debut to the vociferous displeasure of a section of the home support.

There had been controversy surrounding Black's call-up to the squad. Scotland manager Craig Levein had omitted team-mate Lee Wallace from the squad due to him now playing his football in the Irn-Bru Third Division.

Black was then targeted near the end of the game which the Scots won 3-1. It was unclear whether that was because of his Hearts and Rangers connections, or his general reputation as a hardy midfielder.

Speaking for ATAC, Jim Brown said: "One of the guiding principles of the Tartan Army is that when we come together club allegiances are put to the side as everyone throws their support behind the national team.

"It is therefore regrettable that a small section of the Scotland support chose to forget this and booed Ian when he took to the field and for the short period he was on the pitch.

"Given that this was Ian's full international debut, an occasion he has described as being the pinnacle of his career to date, these actions are especially disappointing."

"I'm absolutely delighted, it's probably the biggest and proudest moment of my career so far," he said.

I'm not particulalry expecting any positive comments on this but thought it was important that Rangers fans know that the vast majority of the Scotland support, including the offical supporters representatives, which still include many Bears, are just as pissed off about last night as folk are on here. I think it's also worth pointing out that Ian Black has made it clear that it was still an extremely proud moment for him, and one which he regards as a high point in his career. Hopefuly he'll achieve, and be recognised for, even greater achievements both with Rangers and with Scotland.

A fair and timely statement but what IF it happens again?Can the decent supporters do anything about it?I doubt it. :angry:

(UKPA) – 59 minutes ago

Thanks for taking the time to post this message but with respect, to hell with the national side! NEVER again will i get behind ths team, the supporters or the corrupt SFA. After everything weve had to enjure, and are still enjuring, last night was the straw that broke the camels back..

I've no problem with bears following the national side but for me, its over.

When it happened the first time an immediate response should have been for the others to clap and drown out the arseholes.

That did not happen and it was not an iosolated booing as it happened more than once.

At any football game when one side boo an opponent, for instance, then people generally cheer or clap to drown it out.

Sad atate of affairs indeed.

There was a response from a decent section of the crowd, though it was quite a flat atmosphere at the game. I also think a lot of people were surprised at the booing when he came on and certainly didn't expect it to continue when he touched the ball. It was also towards the end of the game and it was tipping it down with a fair few heading for the exits.

But I would also agree, as did many folk leaving the ground, that there wasn't a big enough effort to shout those who booed down - so a fair point to make. But I do think there would be a significant response if it happened again.

I'm pleased ATAC issued the statement, and obviously hope it gets through to the idiots that made an arse of themselves and their country last night.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

well put pal, they can say what they like it was anti Rangers as i didn't hear any boos to webster and berra who have jambo connections. :angry:

There's an existing and growing gulf between Rangers fans and Scotland fans.

I remember when I proudly considered myself both. But those days have gone and I feel I have to choose.

I choose Rangers.

Took them a whole day to come up with this statement.

Most got back late last night, I think we got into Glasgow around 1.00am, others later, I know the London TA rep was on the sleeper as I had a beer with him before he got on the train. The majority of ATAC reps have jobs and a statement can't be issued before they have a consensus. I think Jim Brown had it done by lunchtime and out to the press a little after that - obviously the time stated on the release is when the Press Association published it. It was never going to make the papers today, so the statement was always going to be for tomorrows papers.

I think it's good that ATAC have taken a clear and firm position - and have indicated it was wholly unacceptable. Something the vast majority endorsed last night.

Did you see the interview with Levien about it? Chunt was smirking...thought it was funny :wanker:

yes. he 'wouldn't make a big deal about it'

why not? Its the place of a manager to support each and every one of his players in public. Any attack on an individual (in a team) is an attack on the whole team. (I would point anyone old enough to the British Lions tour of South Africa when '99' was the code to get stuck in)

I wish nothing good for Scotlands national team.....and Im gutted Im even saying that - cos Im a proud Scot. But thats the price of my principles.

There's an existing and growing gulf between Rangers fans and Scotland fans.

I remember when I proudly considered myself both. But those days have gone and I feel I have to choose.

I choose Rangers.

Me too. Events of the last few months - obvious hatred of SFA and other clubs towards Rangers - mean I can't bring myself to support Scotland any more. I won't be going near Hampden again unless Rangers are playing there.