Do you lose the passion for sport as you grow older?

I think if anything my passion for Rangers has been actually increased in recent years (if that's possible), due mainly to being able to watch them over the 'net now. For a long time I felt adrift, as the only real way to follow over here was through the sporadic newspaper scores that weren't even published on a regular weekly basis; one week the results would be there, the next the editors would opt for women's volleyball scores instead. Maddening!! Still got the Rangers News of course, but it's a different kettle when you can't actually see or hear the games. Then in the beginning of the 90s, the tele started showing SPL games late at night here, so I got a chance to follow a lot more closely and my support for the team got a flying kick start again. Now that we have Rangers TV, everything is back to as it should be - the world gets put on hold on Saturday or Sunday mornings (Eastern US time being 5-1/2 hours behind the UK) until the match is finished up.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a bit six and 2 threes over this, cannot be bothered to watch football on tv and i dont do the rounds of visiting other grounds when not going to ibrox.ie barnsley,hull,rotherham.but my support for rangers as ive got older gets more passionate than ever. nothing beats walking into the stadium and just soaking up the atmosphere so yes at 66 i have lost a bit of love for sport but not for rangers.

I think like a lot of things it goes so slowly that it takes years and even decades before you realise there has been a change ... the problem is you have seen it all (or something else very like it) before.

There's not doubt there is a great freshness to being young but unfortunately because the young have never been old they don't appreciate it until it has just about gone :pipe:

I still love the football and watch every game I can and go as well.

But Sport? I never watched a minute of The Olympics. I do kind of feel it is same old for me.........I just can't get into it now.

Hate Rugby that I used to love. Still love and watch the tennis. Braehead Davis Cup is Brill!

You know you still love The Rangers.........as it kills you for 2 whole days when they lose.

for a long time now i'm never sure what part of the world i'm in (now, Jack, no bloody smart 'you can run but you can't hide' interpol cracks, eh!), but no matter where i have been i have continually followed my team.

while actually being at Ibrox under the floodlights watching the Gers on those European nights is pure magic, following my team, whether in remote places years ago listening to crackling snippets of games on the short wave radio or, reading month old reports in sent newspapers or, in recent times, watching streams of the Gers on flash modems in the jungle - those first unbelievable rushes of excitement when ma da took me to my first Gers game are still alive and well after 53 years of follow following.

Youre the man of mystery Baxterboy, never know what country interpol are chasing into youre gonna crop up from next. :lol:

Those floodlit euro nights in the 60s were breathtaking though

As you get older you tend to become more blase about life and sport in general, simply because you have more experience and tend to believe things were better in the past. I still think Maradona was better than Messi, Borg was better than Federer and Sugar Ray Leonard was better than Floyd Mayweather and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The one thing i will never get blase about however is being able to attend Rangers games.I can honestly say i still look forward to each and every visit with the same feelings i had back in 1971 when i first watched us play. I know of too many bears who are no longer with us or who are unable to attend games for health-financial or logistical reasons to ever take the fact i can attend any game for granted.

It is still special isn't it :clap:

It is still special isn't it :clap:

It certainly is my friend.

Just being there on Saturday will remain long in the memory.

Took a minute to look at all areas of the stadium and to remember the games i've seen and the people who seen them with me.Not ashamed to admit i had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat thinking of those no longer here.

Thats what our club can do to you.

I am in my mid-late 20s and my passion for Rangers remains strong. My love of football in general has slipped considerably, I have almost no interest in football outside Ibrox. If you had told me as a youngster when I obsessed with all football, that my interest in the sport would dwindle, I would have been surprised. Modern football is dull and usually a drab affair, with negative tactics usually employed by at least one side in a match. It has become a bit like basketball, you have the ball and then we have it, the game has lost its natural flow.

My interest in other sports such as tennis and golf has increased, but really outside their respective big events, I pay sport in general little attention.

I am in my mid-late 20s and my passion for Rangers remains strong. My love of football in general has slipped considerably, I have almost no interest in football outside Ibrox. If you had told me as a youngster when I obsessed with all football, that my interest in the sport would dwindle, I would have been surprised. Modern football is dull and usually a drab affair, with negative tactics usually employed by at least one side in a match. It has become a bit like basketball, you have the ball and then we have it, the game has lost its natural flow.

My interest in other sports such as tennis and golf has increased, but really outside their respective big events, I pay sport in general little attention.

There is a lot of truth in that I mean you used to have 5 forwards in a team but now a days you may only have only 1 (or 0 if you're watching a craig levein team :anguish:)

I have to say that my interest in the Scottish game has increased since our entry into SFL 3 but the SPL is irrelevant now for me. I used to sit back and believe that we could weather the storm of fortune or failure in our league but now I follow every kick of the ball. I've supported the Gers for 50 years, getting through for home games as often as my busy schedule would allow. I've stood in the terraces, the enclosure, sat in every stand and been invited into every area of the hospitality suites. I even persuaded my boss to buy corporate days regularly over 3 seasons so I could take my ( Bears )customers to the games. It was wonderful being on first name terms with hospitality staff and having guys like Jim Baxter shake my hand and call me by my first name...........my absolute boyhood hero. So bears, I suppose like the OP, my overall interest has shifted but my focus is still where it's always been, at the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox.

No. For various reasons on life's journey you may drift away but there is only one Rangers. While renewing season tickets for myself and other grandsons last week I was disappointed not to get one for my youngest grandson (2 years old)as due to a glitch they appeared to be taken however I got it when the line came back on stream on Monday.So its off to the match I go with renewed vigior with another bear in tow.While happy now I wouldn't have been disapointed if I didn't get a ST due to the BR 2 being full.It was niece to see it full on Saturday and I hope the majotity are back as season ticket holders.

Bluenoses are born, not manufactured.

We do not choose, we are chosen.

Those that don't understand don't matter.

Those who understand need no explanation!

WE ARE THE PEOPLE