Crying out for wingers

scarkev

Like most of us I have been pretty pleased with the majority of signings we have made so far...especially for div 3. That been said I am slightly concerned we are overloading in certain areas of the squad whilst missing out on what we desperately need...natural wide players.

I appreciate with so many leaving we have to rebuild a whole squad but I still hope the youngsters get their chance to play. I wonder what the likes of perry/hegarty and cole make of 3 more defenders being signed.

Andy little, Barry McKay and McLeod have all been played in wide midfield roles so far which suits none of them and ends up with us (based on the 4 out of 5 games I've seen so far) playing very narrow and to direct at times.

Alot of people seem to think the lower leagues are full of cluggers but that's not the case however the most effective way to play against these guys is to stretch the play and maintain width. I know it's probably hard to get creative/consistent wide players and I dont know if the boy Mitchell is up to it but I really hope ally looks to get these types in as its something we trully lack. Does anyone know if any of the trialists are wingers???

I'd hate to think we would be missing out on the chance to bring through our own young players by saturating certain positions, as this is the time to do it and hopefully before next Friday we bring in guys capable of filling the wide midfield roles to allow others to play in their natural positions.

We have been crying out for a natural winger for years but we just seem to shoehorn other players into wide areas. Davis, Lafferty, McCulloch, Whittaker, Edu, Smith, Papac... to name a few.

Imagine a couple of proper wingers who can beat a man and get a cross in. McCulloch, Little, Sandaza and Kyle would have a field day.

Ave been saying this for years! It seems to me wingers are not welcome at ibrox we have not had a decent left winger since McCann

Totally agree mate and I don't think it's a coincidence that the best football rangers have played in my lifetime has always been when we play with wide players. Christ even a few years back we went through a stage of playing beasly and Burke either side of cousin and we were cracking. Hope it isn't just s few of us who have noticed that and ally try's to build a team capable of playing football as well as winning matches.

We've needed good wide play for years... Wylde was close -- but not good enough. Wallace in fact gives us width.... But not in the way we want (need?)

Ahhh I remember the days of Wullie Henderson and Davie Wilson!

pass me a hanky, miller and brand lapped it up (not forgeting ian macmillan)

They both trained on Friday but no word on signing...are they wingers?

Stella seems to be an out-and-out old-fashioned, tricky, beat the man winger. Celeste looks a bit more positionally flexible, but still comfortable out wide. Could be wrong though, just going by youtube videos.

pass me a hanky, miller and brand lapped it up (not forgeting ian macmillan)

aye.... we had some players. Folk say you can't compare the 'old' days to present day because of fitness, diet, size and the rest of it.

But it was still man against man...and by God, we showed the world we could play. 00000042.gif

Pele: "I wish Jim Baxter was born a Brazilian"

I agree.

I think it's a waste of time having Wallace play left midfield. We went through this last season with him and Papac playing that position and it got us nowhere. At best, Wallace is going to recycle the ball. He can't go by a player and hardly gets any crosses in. He should be at left back and nowhere else.

Little at right-mid is a bit more dynamic at least, but it would be nice to see a natural right-mid out there to allow Little to play up front.

We're missing a big trick here. We need to get more decent crosses in. When Wylde was in his pomp at the end of 2010/11 season his crosses set up tonnes of chances. It's a simple game.

dont agree with this. we have wingers at ibrox more than we have had for years. mckay and shiels are the best wide men in scotland and the likes of wallace and little give us more options.

problem is super doesnt seem to want to play that way and im sure as fuck now going to disagree with a man of his talents. leave it with ally he knows what is best for rangers.

dont agree with this. we have wingers at ibrox more than we have had for years. mckay and shiels are the best wide men in scotland and the likes of wallace and little give us more options.

problem is super doesnt seem to want to play that way and im sure as fuck now going to disagree with a man of his talents. leave it with ally he knows what is best for rangers.

options yes but both should be played in their natural positions,then we see the best of them,simples (tu)

disagree with the wingers is the way to go in the lower leagues. most of the parks we will play on away will be very tight leaving little space and most teams if not all will go with numbers at the back especially doubling up on the rb and lb postions meaning any winger has to create space then beat two guys then get a ball into our strikers. The way to go is the way mccoist is trying to get them to play with the rm and lm coming inside and pushing up on their cb's like he is doing very sucessfully with little (top goal scorer) this will also leave space for wallace and our new full back to push forward and be infront of the midfield. most top teams play this way now ie man city, chelsea etc they only bring on out and out wingers when the oposition line to counter their original line up.

I'm sorry mate can't agree with this at all. Sheils is an attacking midfielder (no 10) type player not a wide man and wee McKay is similar. Both are capable of playing in a front 3 but not as part of a 4 man midfield as both look to come infield all the time. What we need is players who hug the touch line, look to get the the bye line and deliver.

Wallace is suited to a left wing back role but again he is not natural at beating a man and little is another who when playing wide looks to cut in at all times and this means we are very narrow. Ally does have a tendency to fit players into positions than use them in natural roles.

As mentioned above football is a simple game over complicated by coaches/ tactics etc. We need natural wide players for us to move forward as a team and produce attractive football in my opinion anyway.