Are we missing a big opportunity

scarkev

Taking today's result out the equation the most disappointing thing for me so far this season has been our style of play. One of the things I thought this season would give us was the opportunity to promote an expansive style of play and produce a style of football, away from the pressure of the old-firm, that would be pleasing on the eye. Unfortunately the football so far has been (for the most part) awful.

Look at Swansea a club who were in the 3rd tier of English football. They ripped up the old fashioned approach to the game (something we seem hampered with) and from their youths up decided to develop a certain way to play. Within 5 years they were a premiership club and are now one of the most entertaining teams to watch in Britain, and they haven't done anything out of the ordinary or spent a fortune to do it. All they did was play a simple progressive passing game which is built from the back, making angles and playing in triangles. So simple but look how effective it is. Now there is absolutely no reason...especially at this level that we cant adopt a similar approach. I was screaming at my TV today every time Alexander had the ball as every time it was just a punt up the park which was awful to watch. Berwick had one man up top so the full backs should always have been coming short and building from the back, making their forward work and creating space for our midfielders to get on the ball.

I dont want to blame Ally and based on his post match interview he wasn't happy with our passing etc but every time alexander had it not once did anyone look for the ball, they all jogged up to the half way line and waited for a big percentage ball up to Sandaza which didn't come off once. The only time in the game we looked dangerous was when we passed the ball quickly in and around their box just after the equalizer before going back to the long ball tactic. And you know what it would take us time to get used to playing a passing game and we may drop points but I am sure most of us would accept that if the performances were pleasing and showing promise over today where the players didnt seem to be enjoying the game at all.

I really feel not only are we missing out on the chance to completely redesign our style of play but we ultimately will be turning folk off from paying their money to watch. I was watching the game today with my mum's partner, who to be fair is a Rugby man, but keen on Rangers and after an hour he sacked it and to be honest I couldn't blame him. I just can't see us filling Ibrox in the winter months if the product is of this quality.

I desperately want Ally to be successful as our manager but we need to totally change our style of play and start playing players in their natural positions. Football is an entertainment business at the end of the day and we need to make the entertainment on the park as opposed to solely coming from our wonderful fans who were brilliant again today..As always!!!

Taking today's result out the equation the most disappointing thing for me so far this season has been our style of play. One of the things I thought this season would give us was the opportunity to promote an expansive style of play and produce a style of football, away from the pressure of the old-firm, that would be pleasing on the eye. Unfortunately the football so far has been (for the most part) awful.

Look at Swansea a club who were in the 3rd tier of English football. They ripped up the old fashioned approach to the game (something we seem hampered with) and from their youths up decided to develop a certain way to play. Within 5 years they were a premiership club and are now one of the most entertaining teams to watch in Britain, and they haven't done anything out of the ordinary or spent a fortune to do it. All they did was play a simple progressive passing game which is built from the back, making angles and playing in triangles. So simple but look how effective it is. Now there is absolutely no reason...especially at this level that we cant adopt a similar approach. I was screaming at my TV today every time Alexander had the ball as every time it was just a punt up the park which was awful to watch. Berwick had one man up top so the full backs should always have been coming short and building from the back, making their forward work and creating space for our midfielders to get on the ball.

I dont want to blame Ally and based on his post match interview he wasn't happy with our passing etc but every time alexander had it not once did anyone look for the ball, they all jogged up to the half way line and waited for a big percentage ball up to Sandaza which didn't come off once. The only time in the game we looked dangerous was when we passed the ball quickly in and around their box just after the equalizer before going back to the long ball tactic. And you know what it would take us time to get used to playing a passing game and we may drop points but I am sure most of us would accept that if the performances were pleasing and showing promise over today where the players didnt seem to be enjoying the game at all.

I really feel not only are we missing out on the chance to completely redesign our style of play but we ultimately will be turning folk off from paying their money to watch. I was watching the game today with my mum's partner, who to be fair is a Rugby man, but keen on Rangers and after an hour he sacked it and to be honest I couldn't blame him. I just can't see us filling Ibrox in the winter months if the product is of this quality.

I desperately want Ally to be successful as our manager but we need to totally change our style of play and start playing players in their natural positions. Football is an entertainment business at the end of the day and we need to make the entertainment on the park as opposed to solely coming from our wonderful fans who were brilliant again today..As always!!!

An outstanding post. Congratulations on seeing the bigger pitch, hopefully others will join us soon. Its time to move the club forward, we will not progress playing 20th century football.

We have been brutal to watch (in the majority of games) since Walter came back.

Does it need changed? Too bloody right it does. Will it? I doubt it when you look at the players we have brought in.

Your right but under Walter we were successful and against Celtic that is ultimately the most important thing. Now is our chance to change away from that and we dont seem either able or willing to. I actually think the players we have signed would be better suited to a passing game...for his height Sandazza aint great in the air and I felt black and Mcleod were just totally bypassed with the long ball tactic. And as Black said in his interview it was one of the worst games he has ever played in...

Correct (tu)

Almost every post in the Bears Den was optimistic about a new brand of fottball possibly being intoduced.

We may be rusty, but if we tried to play a passing game and got beat due to a lack of match sharpness there wouldn't be this split between bears.

Everyoe is behind the team and we all love Ally and Rangers - but it NEEDS to change. Scottish Fopotball is a bawhair away from the dark ages and we can change it by playing better and more attractive football and rising to the top once more :21:

It's only August and a few games in. Give it until Christmas to see how we shape up. If we are still doing the same thing then it's obvious we have big problems.

The biggest opportunity missed so far IMO will be not playing enough of our youths and instead signing foreign guys.

It takes 10 years plus to implement this style to a club. Why everybody thinks just coz it's div 3 we can become like Swansea/Arsenal and in 3 years we will win Champions League. Where does that thinking come from?

what a load of shite for most teams it would take 5 years for us even less because the standard of teams we are playing is so low there would be less pressure to win every game(or at least it should be) the improvment will happen gradually.

People like you are exactly whats wrong with Scottish Football you are stuck in the stone ages and are the reason we will never amount to anything anymore in this country.

Great post and bang on the money.

We have been given a once in a life time chance to reboot.

Ally is my home town hero,love the man dearly.His character and loyalty to Rangers is never in question from ANY bear who may question what is the game plan.

Seems also that our vision of youngsters blossoming in the lower divisions might not happen.........

Just worry how hard it would be to make changes if needed if a major shareholder never wanted to make them.

It takes 10 years plus to implement this style to a club. Why everybody thinks just coz it's div 3 we can become like Swansea/Arsenal and in 3 years we will win Champions League. Where does that thinking come from?

No-one is saying that mate and of course it doesnt happen overnight but we are going to be out of the SPL for the next 3 years at least and although the pressure of winning every game will always be there with Rangers, with no direct competition to Celtic we should have more freedom to be creative and try new things.

It didnt take Swansea or Arsenal 10 years either and we need to get away from this percentage play that is ingrained in our kids from a young age. We are training full time in at Murray park with top facilities and resources. As I say it is not some secret formula... it is very simple and all it requires is confidence to take the ball to feet, pass and move.

As a Rangers fan I always expect and want to see us win but at the same time I want to enjoy the performance as well and it is possible to acheive both with the right coaching and philosophy.

I am a forum reader, rather than a poster but some of the trash I am reading on here is unbelievable. The league isn't decided after 3 matches, as we all know. My view on the problem is the player attitude (not all). Some players think the 3 points are in the bag once they get on the bus! McCoist's post-match comments should go a long way to solving this. We must be considered and not reactive in our response. We will prevail!

Watching Hearts V Liverpool i was impressed with the way Hearts tried to play, neat short passing and moving the ball quickly from defence to attack without always punting it long. If they can do that in a european game why cant we try it against Berwick? Its not always going to be succesfull but it would work more often than not at this level.

Correct (tu)

Almost every post in the Bears Den was optimistic about a new brand of fottball possibly being intoduced.

We may be rusty, but if we tried to play a passing game and got beat due to a lack of match sharpness there wouldn't be this split between bears.

Everyoe is behind the team and we all love Ally and Rangers - but it NEEDS to change. Scottish Fopotball is a bawhair away from the dark ages and we can change it by playing better and more attractive football and rising to the top once more :21:

So would you take a couple losses, giving away cheap goals as we tried to play out from the back getting to know the new system? Considering the reaction to a draw I don't think many would be happy to settle with a couple losses as we learn this beautiful system. Takes other clubs decades but we can put it together in a couple months. Do people think Ally likes the long ball? He just wants us to give us the best chance to win. Some think this would be guaranteed with a short passing game. Tbh I'm not sure.

We are playing in Div3 and doing it like a Div3 side and McCoist for his own sake has to do something real quick.

I actually think that being harsh on the div 3 sides and the other lower league teams we've played so far. We are the ones (away from home anyway) who are playing the old fashioned kick and rush stuff. In fairness to brechin, Berwick, Falkirk and Peterhead for large spells they actually tried to get the ball down and pass it. It didn't always come off obviously but they have all at stages in the games against us played the better football, using their full backs and playing through midfield.

what a load of shite for most teams it would take 5 years for us even less because the standard of teams we are playing is so low there would be less pressure to win every game(or at least it should be) the improvment will happen gradually.

People like you are exactly whats wrong with Scottish Football you are stuck in the stone ages and are the reason we will never amount to anything anymore in this country.

More pressure to win every game in div 3. everyone expectin us to win every game.

So would you take a couple losses, giving away cheap goals as we tried to play out from the back getting to know the new system? Considering the reaction to a draw I don't think many would be happy to settle with a couple losses as we learn this beautiful system. Takes other clubs decades but we can put it together in a couple months. Do people think Ally likes the long ball? He just wants us to give us the best chance to win. Some think this would be guaranteed with a short passing game. Tbh I'm not sure.

It might not be guaranteed but is the long ball tactic guaranteed? By definition it is a percentage ball and therefore there can be no guarantee. You have to see the bigger picture mate that this is our chance to redesign everything at our club for the better from the style of play to the scouting and the training. If that meant taking a few steps back (which I dont think it would at this level) then yes I would accept that. Its alot easier to change if things arent going well from playing a passing game to go more direct rather than start with plan B from the off.

I would also love to know why people think it takes years to introduce a new system...it doesnt. Arsenal were one of the most boring teams around (1-0) specialists with a superb back 4. Wenger came in and changed the philosophy of play...read Adams autobiography. Within 2 seasons with the same back 5 they were plying brilliant football and won the double. We would be doing it away from an overly competitive environment so there is no excuse.

What a load of bollocks, to ask footballers to play football is quite simple, they are professional footballers for a reason (they are good at it) well disguised sometimes though.

We're missing a huge opportunity not getting the ball down on the deck and getting it moving. In terms of fitness our players should be streets ahead and getting the ball down and stretching and tiring other teams, especially in division 3, by getting the ball moving is going to be better than constantly pumping long balls on the heads of centre halfs. Long ball does have its place but it shouldn't be the only answer away from home.

My main concern is that McCoist has spent the majoirty of his career under one manager and although I'm not willing to throw him under the bus yet, it seems like he has no ideas of his own and is just copying everything that he witnessed under Smith.

This. (tu)

Ally is talking a good game and says he knows what we want and need as a club but he is really struggling to actually put that into practice, whether is he not getting help from coaches or not maybe a reason. He cannot do it all by himself, that is for sure. Jimmy Sinclair, Billy Kirkwood, Ian Durrant and Kenny McDowall all have a part to play in this. They all have to sing from the same hymn sheet? Does that happen though? I doubt it.

Do you think it just happens because you want it to? It takes time, the main component being players who know each others game inside out.

I agree it's the style of play I want to see as well, but it takes years to do it successfully, people are on his back after 3 games ffs. Has anything actually changed? Expectation seems even more unrealistic as far as I'm concerned!

I am not at all in agreeance with how we're going about things just now.

As said in another thread, we need a handful of guys who know what it's about, and know how to dig in and get results in Scottish lower divisions, maybe look to the SPL at guys who have worked their way up from the lower leagues to being SPL players, or bringing a few guys in from the Championship/League 1 in England. We supplement this squad of 14 or so experienced players with youngsters to bleed in.

We do not need a big squad of experienced players, indeed we do not need a big squad. We do not need to be signing 32yr old former Serie A players from Brazil, these type of signings are not needed to win the lower divisions or are likely to work out in the lower leagues. The focus of the next few years should be keeping tight control of costs, going up the leagues, and trying to develop youth. Once we get to the SPL, or even Division 1 for that matter, we can start thinking about being more elaborate with our signings.

(tu)