The Guardian Roy Greenslade

rangersxfc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade

viewer discretion is advised if your going to read the full article

"""Naturally enough, - The Failed Journalist is furious too. He believes his April blog posting was so obviously satirical that Harries has used it to get himself off the hook. Several journalists agree with him.

He said: "I think this is a dark day for journalism in Scotland when a major title can be forced into self-censoring in this fashion.

"The most worrying aspect of this are the threats aimed at Simon Houston who interviewed me. An attack on a journalist is an attack on journalism and, ipso facto, an attack on democracy."""

never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake comes to mind HAHA roy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He believes his April blog posting was so obviously satirical that Harries has used it to get himself off the hook. Several journalists agree with him.

Who, exactly, are "several journalists"?

Greenslade, Thomson and - The Failed Journalist himself, I presume?

Has this greenslade not got form for being a sympathiser of sf/ira?

He wrote for An Phoblacht, yes. Which, giving the period in time in which he wrote for said publication, and the nature of the link between Sinn Fein and the PIRA, essentially means he was a propagandist for a terrorist organisation.

Few people are aware that The Guardian's media sage has affiliations with Sinn Fein. During the late 1980s, when he was managing news editor of The Sunday Times, he secretly wrote for An Phoblacht, the Sinn Fein newspaper, which then served as a propaganda sheet for the Provisional IRA. His pseudonym was George King. We know this from Flat Earth News by Nick Davies, a Guardian colleague and instigator of the journalistic investigation into phone hacking. When Mr Greenslade reviewed Mr Davies's book on his blog in 2008, he did not deny what some may regard as a pretty serious allegation. In a more recent blog, he described Mr Davies as his friend.

The connections endure. Last June, Mr Greenslade spoke at a Sinn Fein conference in London on the 30th anniversary of the hunger strikes, and he wrote an article on the same subject for An Phoblacht . He has had a house in County Donegal for many years. One friend is Pat Doherty, from 1988 until 2009 vice president of Sinn Fein, who has been named as a former member of the IRA Army Council.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/opinion/stephen-glover/stephen-glover-the-troubles-are-still-raging-for-the-guardians-media-pundit-7561788.html

Has this greenslade not got form for being a sympathiser of sf/ira?

going about on twitter

An extraordinary item appeared last Tuesday on Professor Roy Greenslade's MediaGuardian blog. It was a harsh attack on his colleague Henry McDonald, the long-serving Ireland correspondent of The Observer and The Guardian. The Prof noted that the previous Friday a story by Mr McDonald had appeared in The Guardian wrongly attributing a Belfast murder the night before to "Republican paramilitaries".

Mr Greenslade was right that in the heat of the moment Mr McDonald had got his facts wrong, apparently relying on incorrect information from Republican dissidents. A man and a woman with no paramilitary connections were later charged. Yet it seemed odd that the Prof should have launched a public attack on a colleague for a pardonable mistake. Mr Greenslade, who has long-standing links with Sinn Fein, evidently resented the imputation of Republican involvement.

Before writing his piece he did not contact his colleague. Nor did he do so last August when he wrote a blog criticising British newspapers, including Mr McDonald's, for not covering the annual Sinn Fein conference during which a Presbyterian minister and former British Army chaplain, the Reverend David Latimer, called Martin McGuinness one of the "true great leaders of modern times". Had the Prof spoken with Mr McDonald, he would have learnt that he had intended to attend the conference but did not do so because his mother was dying.

Few people are aware that The Guardian's media sage has affiliations with Sinn Fein. During the late 1980s, when he was managing news editor of The Sunday Times, he secretly wrote for An Phoblacht, the Sinn Fein newspaper, which then served as a propaganda sheet for the Provisional IRA. His pseudonym was George King. We know this from Flat Earth News by Nick Davies, a Guardian colleague and instigator of the journalistic investigation into phone hacking. When Mr Greenslade reviewed Mr Davies's book on his blog in 2008, he did not deny what some may regard as a pretty serious allegation. In a more recent blog, he described Mr Davies as his friend.

The connections endure. Last June, Mr Greenslade spoke at a Sinn Fein conference in London on the 30th anniversary of the hunger strikes, and he wrote an article on the same subject for An Phoblacht . He has had a house in County Donegal for many years. One friend is Pat Doherty, from 1988 until 2009 vice president of Sinn Fein, who has been named as a former member of the IRA Army Council.

Given his sympathies, it is fair to surmise that Mr Greenslade dislikes Mr McDonald's articles about Sinn Fein's links to organised crime, and saw his recent piece as an attempt to blacken the organisation. Mr McDonald is certainly no friend to Sinn Fein but, equally, he has received Loyalist death threats, and his house in Belfast has been fortified against Loyalist attacks. (By the way, I have never met him.) I'd say he was a brave and honest reporter who, unlike Mr Greenslade, is not parti pris.

May I suggest that when he next writes about Northern Ireland Mr Greenslade should be open about his allegiances? And also that he should talk to colleagues before attacking them? Both are considered good journalistic practice, and he is, after all, Professor of Journalism at City University, where there must be impressionable students who look up to him. Roy Greenslade would do well to ponder on what, one way and another, is a bit of an ethical tangle.

He wrote for An Phoblacht, yes. Which, giving the period in time in which he wrote for said publication, and the nature of the link between Sinn Fein and the PIRA, essentially means he was a propagandist for a terrorist organisation.

Did a wee bit of googling on Phil Mcgobbler and he also wrote for An Phoblacht under a pseudonym Mick Derrig so he now has 4 names not 3.

He also had a blog using the name Mick Derrig as well

Did a wee bit of googling on Phil Mcgobbler and he also wrote for An Phoblacht under a pseudonym Mick Derrig so he now has 4 names not 3.

He also had a blog using the name Mick Derrig as well

Well, it's hardly news to any of us that Phil's whole life has been one big identity crisis :lol: What's one more pseudonym to a man with no place or people to call his own?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade

viewer discretion is advised if your going to read the full article

"""Naturally enough, - The Failed Journalist is furious too. He believes his April blog posting was so obviously satirical that Harries has used it to get himself off the hook. Several journalists agree with him.

He said: "I think this is a dark day for journalism in Scotland when a major title can be forced into self-censoring in this fashion.

"The most worrying aspect of this are the threats aimed at Simon Houston who interviewed me. An attack on a journalist is an attack on journalism and, ipso facto, an attack on democracy."""

never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake comes to mind HAHA roy

What this ARSEWIPE fails to grasp is he is part of this bigotry and there is NO democracy in this country, basically he's a FUCKING CUNT.

An IRA fanatic, promoting his friend, another IRA loving fanatic and talking about a lack of democracy is irony in the extreme. It has suddenly hit home to the haters, the ndays of dignified silence are long gone. They had better get used to it.

I enjoy your your stuff on twitter mate and frequently retweet, keep up the good work.

I'm applying for a job in Sweden and, if I get it, you can bet your life I'll be Swedish in 15 years time. After all, I love ABBA. And Ikea.

Gotcha, didn't realise nationality is not where you were born, raised, educated and earned money, but only where you choose it to be.

I think I'm going to be Djibouti now, because it sounds cool. Next week I may be I-Kiribati

:craphead:

Gotcha, didn't realise nationality is not where you were born, raised, educated and earned money, but only where you choose it to be.

I think I'm going to be Djibouti now, because it sounds cool. Next week I may be I-Kiribati

:craphead:

Mmmmmmmm interesting I will need to tell my missus the 2 years she's lived up here makes her Scottish, nowait, the 18 years I spent in england make me English, no wait, the 1 year I spent in Eire make me oirish.....aw fuck I'm confused now!

WHAT THE FUCK AM I?

Satire now is it? :lol:

I'm liking how these apologists are now coming out into the open to defend him.

Alex Thomson's quote on twitter "And I'm telling you I couldn't care less about his politcs" is very dangerous stuff (for him) coming from the chief correspondent of Channel 4 news.

Very dangerous.