Name a Bad Rangers Goalie

jdonald755

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was never a big fan of Theo Snelders, thought he was pretty unsteady. Great keeper for Aberdeen though. I was young at the time so my judgement might be completely wrong.

Also though Billy Thomson was rotten in the few games he played.

Billy Thomson... He was indeed pretty awful. One of the most cringeworthy moments I have had watching Rangers was him scrambling around the box on his hands and knees chasing after Ravenelli when we got a bit of a doing (0-4 i think) from Juventus in 95/96 season.

I see no one has yet mentioned Lee Robinson.

As far I as know he only got sub appearance in 2005-06 and gladly that was all.

Grossly undersized for a goalie he didn't inspire confidence, amazing he was at Rangers full stop.

Anyway I think people have been harsh on Waterreus. If he had not answered the call back when Klos got injured where would we have been? McGregor wasn't the complete article at that time.

In my time I'd say Letizi was the worst. Could make a great save on moment and spill and easy one the next, such as against Inverness.

As much as I will support him for staying when others bailed, Neil Alexander is far and away the worst Rangers goalkeeper I have watched in my 25+ years of going every week to watch the Rangers.

The closest to him was Ally Maxwell, who was cover for Goram during the 90's and cost us a double treble with his mess-up in the '94 cup final. As Maxwell was only ever the number 2 however, this makes Alexander the worst number 1 IMO. However you must bear in mind that there are some fantastic keepers we are judging him against so it is a little unfair.

Totally disagree with you about Alexander. I can't understand why you think that considering he hasn't played much for us.

Maxwell was murder.

mnccloy arsenal in the centinery game my god. hot or cold but when he was cold he was dire.but saying that the night tic beat us in a cup final he gave harry hood on of the best black eyes ive seen.. almost forgot norrie martin of berwick fame ..

One game that stands out for me re Norrie Martin was the away leg against Borussia Dortmund ....we won 2-1 at Ibrox and drew 0-0 away nd they had beat Liverpool at Hampden the previous year in the final,we went onto to play Bayern on the Final that year.

Born in '85 so my opinion is the GREATEST Goalie ever is 'The Goalie'. And everybody else is bad compared to our Andy.

A bad Rangers Goalie? There are too many good Goalies to focus on the bad ones. Never really liked Waterreus coz he had a silly name :blush:

Guest KarlG45

Don't think he was that bad....carried the stigma from the 5-1 at Wembley.

That's the very one I was going to mention. I watched that game live and can remember his swinging round the post after they scored. OOOH FUCK....that was painful (for him and for 10 year old me!!)

That's the very one I was going to mention. I watched that game live and can remember his swinging round the post after they scored. OOOH FUCK....that was painful (for him and for 10 year old me!!)

Spot on that one you described look horrendous, up there with big McCloy swinging from the crossbar at Hampden thinking the ball was going over ..........and ended up in the back of the net, st least we won that final against the sheepbiggrin.gif

Kennedy was brilliant up until that game. He got pelters from the media but he had no chance with 4 of the goals. The Scotland defence (and midfield) let him down. He got the blame for everyone's bad performance.

Kennedy was brilliant up until that game. He got pelters from the media but he had no chance with 4 of the goals. The Scotland defence (and midfield) let him down. He got the blame for everyone's bad performance.

Big Kennedy was a fine goalie for us, not up with Woods Klos or Goram, but he was a quality keeper, anyone calling him a bad goalie are way off the mark.

I think Alexander is a good Goalie McGregor was always just that little bit better.

For me prob go for Ally Maxwell alough he did start to get better just as Goram was coming

back from injury.

And as for goalies we never had who were pish I would go for Ian Andrews I can still remember

us humping the Ceptic 5-1 with Wilkinson scoring a nice long shot.

As much as I will support him for staying when others bailed, Neil Alexander is far and away the worst Rangers goalkeeper I have watched in my 25+ years of going every week to watch the Rangers.

Ally Maxwell makes our current No.1 look like Dino Zoff, absolutely fucking horrendous keeper. I still can't forget that game.