WC Qualifying: Scotland and Serbia's Group

BelgradeBear

For those wishing to threaten each other about supporting/not supporting the Scottish national team I refer you to the 20 pager in the Bear Den. For those wishing to discuss the footballing merits of the teams in the Group then read on.

So another WC qualifciation campgaign is about to start across Europe. Living in Serbia, I have more interest than most in the group containing Scotland, Serbia, Wales, Macedonia, Belgium and Croatia. The first round of games see Wales at home to Belgium and Croatia at home to Macedonia. It's a crazy group to be honest and the Belgians should be laughing all the way to Brazil. I predict the Balkan countries will cancel each other out winning their home games against each other and losing away. While Scotland and Wales will probably get two points out of their two games together.

The Macedonians on their day will be able to win at home and draw away against anyone whilst for the Welsh much depends on whether they're still in the mix after the first two games. If not, they throw in the towel and will get pumelled by all apart from Scotland. If you're a Scotland fan the best chance for qualifying might be the hope that Serbia/Croatia/Macedonia manage to get themselves pumped out the competition due to violence. It's not impossible and I'll certainly enjoy watching the Serbia Croatia matches - here's hoping the Serbs batter them (on the park of course ;) ). Croatia have the makings of a very good team but not sure if they'll be able to gel as they're a funny old race and always find something to get upset about. The Serbs too will probably look great some days and awful the next.

Interest in football in Serbia is rock bottom due to poor performances by the Serbian national team and the two main Belgrade teams. The national manager is looking forward and wanting to recruit true Serbs who will play their Hearts (SFL3 feeder club) (SFL3 feeder club) out for the team. He recently dropped a player for not singing the pre-match national anthem - the guy also happens to be muslim. Good luck Mr Hodgson if he tries the same as it will be goodbye Gerrard, Rooney and whoever else has republican tendancies in the England team. Anyway, the bottom line is Scotland are playing Serbia at the very best time as they've never played as unit before. Vidic has retired and the manager has also dropeed "Does the circus know you're here" Zigic.

How will it pan out? It will be very tight for 2nd place but I expect Belgium will coast it especially due to Balkan/British sides taking points off each other. Scotland CAN qualify if a second Balkan war is started :lol: but otherwise I'll go for the final standings to be as follows:

Belgium

Croatia

Serbia

Scotland

Macedonia

Wales

Regardless of whether you support/hate any of the teams in the group, it should be one of the most interesting to watch. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Scotland have no chance. There's no 'big' teams like Italy, France, Holland, Portugal etc. in which Scotland can produce one of they famous performances against and earn some points.

Serbia, Belgium and Croatia have some quality players and I couldn't imagine Scotland will pick up points away with this muppet in charge.

I think Scotland will get fucked on Saturday.

Why Levein feels the need to broadcast his team & formation 24 hours before a match get's on my tits. Basically giving the opposition the upper hand.

The Serbian manager has basically said he doesn't care what league a player plays, who they are or how much they get paid. He will pick 11 players who can play together as a team. That's the way to go whether you're the Spanish manager or the Scottish manager. Seems common sense to me but so many international managers fail to do this. 11 individuals who are great do not make the best team - ask the Dutch.

This is Serbia's first proper game under the new management so if Levein has an ounce of nouse he'll take full advantage of possible dissaray in the Serbian team in the first half hour.

If Serbia had a goalscorer then I'd lump a large bet on them. But they don't. Prediction: 1-1.

I honestly see nothing less than a 3-0 Scotland win.

I am surprisingly optimistic for the campaign and think if we are still in the mix with 2/3 games to go then we have done well.

The group is very tricky and think it'll be quite surprising for who takes points of of who.

I don't expect realistically to finish above 4th but I do also believe that if we play to our abilities we could surprise quite a few.

I honestly see nothing less than a 3-0 Scotland win.

I am surprisingly optimistic for the campaign and think if we are still in the mix with 2/3 games to go then we have done well.

The group is very tricky and think it'll be quite surprising for who takes points of of who.

I don't expect realistically to finish above 4th but I do also believe that if we play to our abilities we could surprise quite a few.

:BELM:

I think we're actually a not bad team at the moment if everyone available is fit, but it was a sickener to get Belgium in there, and the rest of the group is pretty ass too. Us, Serbia, Croatia and Belgium will all take a lot of points off eachother, and Wales won't be any sort of a pushover either, we have many of the worst teams we could have gotten from the pots. Sucks to be us basically.

This is the first time in my life ive found it difficult to support my country in my favourite sport :(. There's a clear hatred of all things Rangers from Levein and his bosses and I can't help but keep remembering this when I read about our WC qualifying campaign.

I think Chris Coleman will be a dud for Wales. Because of him I fully expect them to end up with the wooden spoon.

Maybe, no idea what I think of him as manager TBH but he seems a bit slow when he's on TV. But they have a pretty strong squad with 3 or 4 stand out players.