Opposition Ibrox memories others wouldn't remember ......

JTP

Just thinking about things that stand out for you from visiting teams to Ibrox that most folk probably wouldn't remember.

One of the things I remember was the 2-2 game (I think, Amo had a shocker) against Monaco and Marco Simone's corners. Just the sheer pace and whip he could fire the ball into the six yard box was scary. I don't think I've seen a more dangerous corner being taken consistently from an opposition player.

I think every single one caused us problems.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking about things that stand out for you from visiting teams to Ibrox that most folk probably wouldn't remember.

One of the things I remember was the 2-2 game (I think, Amo had a shocker) against Monaco and Marco Simone's corners. Just the sheer pace and whip he could fire the ball into the six yard box was scary. I don't think I've seen a more dangerous corner being taken consistently from an opposition player.

I think every single one caused us problems.

Simone was a class player in a good Milan team.

Remember Abedi Pele tearing us to pieces in the early 90s in a pre-season game at Ibrox.

His performance was on a different level to anything i've seen since.

I'm only here to see The Rangers.

I know, you are the bestest Rangers fan in the whole big wide world.

Some of us like to appreciate a bit of class when we see it however. Doesn't stop me from supporting my team.

I know, you are the bestest Rangers fan in the whole big wide world.

Some of us like to appreciate a bit of class when we see it however. Doesn't stop me from supporting my team.

I mind turning up to the Barca game thinking what Messi would do to us, only for Messi to greet like a wee bitch and the Papac only taking him out his back pocket at the end of the night :ulster::cgreen:

I only had a ST for two years and it was current so not loads but i remember i think my first ever game with a ST and Big Marv was playing for the opposition, a huge rendition of Only One Marvin Andrews when he was warming up, one of they hairs on the neck moments.

Probably the shitest one in this thread but thought i'd contribute what i could :lol:

I mind turning up to the Barca game thinking what Messi would do to us, only for Messi to greet like a wee bitch and the Papac only taking him out his back pocket at the end of the night :ulster::cgreen:

I was worrying about it for weeks leading up to the game .............. never doubt 'God Bless the Papac' was the result I took home from it (tu)

Looking back at our side in that game against Villarreal in 2006 we werent exactly full of quaility compared to the players we were against.

Rangers: Waterreus, Hutton, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Smith, Burke, Hemdani, Ferguson, Namouchi (Buffel 69), Prso (Kris Boyd 89), Lovenkrands (Novo 75).

Subs Not Used: Klos, Ricksen, Andrews, Murray.

Looking back at our side in that game against Villarreal in 2006 we werent exactly full of quaility compared to the players we were against.

Rangers: Waterreus, Hutton, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Smith, Burke, Hemdani, Ferguson, Namouchi (Buffel 69), Prso (Kris Boyd 89), Lovenkrands (Novo 75).

It's amazing how that squad didn't cost too much to assemble, yet Boyd was a bawhair away from scoring the winner in Villarreal.

Whereas Advocaat spent millions and we couldn't progress past the group stages.

Christ, Ian Murray! You know when you completely forget a player ever existed...

It's amazing how that squad didn't cost too much to assemble, yet Boyd was a bawhair away from scoring the winner in Villarreal.

Yeah when you think back to it it's mental how we did not go further with Dick's teams.

Gio

Numan

De Boer

Ferguson

Mols

Arveladze

Amo

Reyna

Tugay

Tbf to Advocaat had Mols stayed on the park in Munich we would have went through that night. It also wasnt a pk if memory serves me right. Gio slid on the greasy surface and the player made a meal of it.

I also dont think you will ever see a Scottish side dominate a team as good as that in their own patch

Tbf to Advocaat had Mols stayed on the park in Munich we would have went through that night. It also wasnt a pk if memory serves me right. Gio slid on the greasy surface and the player made a meal of it.

I also dont think you will ever see a Scottish side dominate a team as good as that in their own patch

That is true, not to forget they scored a jammy deflection at Ibrox in the last minute.

The campaign the following season was a right kick in the teeth. Especially after hammering Sturm Graz 5-0 and winning in Monaco.

Riquelme terrorised us all night at Ibrox vs Villareal. His corners and free kicks were excellent as well as his crosses and if I remember right he kept crossing the ball with the outside of his boot every time and every time we fell for it and let him do it. Absolute top quality player at that time.