Union Bears statement regarding expansion

Captain Hilts

Union Bears Statement

It is with great disappointment that we must inform the 500+ fans on our BF1 transfer waiting list that Rangers have decided to block our proposed move and expansion into the central sections of the Broomloan Front.

Despite positive discussions at the start of the season with the Ticket Office in which they said it wouldn't be a problem for them to accommodate this, it has now become clear that the Head of Security, David Martin, is not going to allow the move to happen. This was confirmed this week in a meeting in which he outlined his reasoning behind this decision.

Put simply, he believes that the behaviour of supporters in BF1 is not in the best interests of Rangers Football Club and often breaks numerous ground regulations. He believes that an expanded section will see an increase in this "behaviour" and will become uncontrollable.

We, of course, pressed him on what he believed these instances of bad behaviour were, but apart from the crowd surfing (something which is enjoyed by the majority of fans) he refused to name any others. It seems that supporting the team for 90 minutes at Ibrox is against the rules.

Mr Martin and Strathclyde Police have also decided to pin sectarian singing at away games firmly on the Union Bears and Blue Order, despite no sectarian songs ever being sung in BF1. It seems that investigation has gone out the window, and the powers at be have decided to pick on the most vocal sections of the support and are hoping for the best. This was another reason given for not allowing us our section move and expansion.

Every week supporters in section BF1 are subjected to full body searches at turntyles, every flag and banner being filmed before being allowed entry, intimidation inside and outside the stadium from stewards and Police as well as being filmed for 90 minutes by the anti-football unit of the police whilst individuals inside the club give details of our members to Police to add to their intelligence database. All this for daring to turn up and support our team.

Recently, supporters in section BF1 have also been told by Police to hold their season ticket up to a camera and state their name and address. Mr Martin didn't see any issue with this and assumes it's all in the interest of pursuing criminal investigations. This is of course is absolute nonsense. As David Martin interestingly informed us this week, there is more arrests and evictions in other areas of the stadium on a match day than in Section BF1. It's blatant intimidation of football supporters.

Despite all of this, our aim of expanding the section remains the same. The vocal fan scene at Rangers is growing bigger with every game. More and more supporters want to stand up, sing, bounce and enjoy themselves at football matches all the while providing unstinting backing to the Rangers team on the pitch. Over the coming weeks we hope to have meetings with the various supporter groups, and hopefully plans can be formed for those on our waiting list to get involved next season.

Once again, we apologise to all those on the waiting list but this is outwith our control. We need the support of the Rangers fans as we fight against intimidation and prejudice from inside our own club and beyond.

Rest assured we're going nowhere, we'll be back louder and more vociferous in our support than ever before.

Union Bears

No Surrender.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having sat in the section last season and now elsewhere this season i can confirm the difference in Policing and stewarding is like night and day.

Maybe if the lads did cut out stuff like crowd surfing, which tbh is always going to be frowned upon by anyone in a health and safety position.

I think Mr martin should join G4S in looking for new opportunities. This is blatantly ridiculous and, certain things said, tantamount to slander. The only problems have been caused by heavy handed stewarding and a fascistic approach to policing. Big Brother it seems is upon BF1 and TBO and Union Bears. It seems its now a crime to show your support for the team. The fact that a Rangers employee endorses this, with scant evidence is a scandal and the removal of this clown (a former Match Commander I believe) should be a priority.

Pretty poor decision, I saw the stewards arguing with the UB at the Elgin game as their banners were covering the advertising boards, the stewards kept lifting the banners and the UB kept putting them back down again :lol:

Obviously our advertisers are important to us and are paying for their signs to be seen so I can understand that, however the advertising boards a few spaces along were empty. Why hasn't someone just moved that company's sign to a free one so the UB can hang their banners wherever they like?

There would be no atmosphere if it wasn't for the UB.

Pretty poor decision, I saw the stewards arguing with the UB at the Elgin game as their banners were covering the advertising boards, the stewards kept lifting the banners and the UB kept putting them back down again :lol:

Obviously our advertisers are important to us and are paying for their signs to be seen so I can understand that, however the advertising boards a few spaces along were empty. Why hasn't someone just moved that company's sign to a free one so the UB can hang their banners wherever they like?

There would be no atmosphere if it wasn't for the UB.

This happened at the Falkirk game too albeit a different steward. There was a steward at the Elgin game who seemed to delight in ripping one of the banners down and then refusing to give it back. There was nothing offensive about it and it seems certain people are on an ego trip when they get a yellow jacket on. The advertising is, I believe for the company that make the advertising hoardings and is largely obscured by the LED display. Yet more evidence of the heavy handed approach of G4S at Ibrox.

I would urge all those wishing to join the Union Bears and The Blue Order, to buy their season tickets/single match tickets in sections BF2/3/4/5 and apply to move in to those areas individually.

You may have to wait until next season, but it will be worth it. People are already standing in half of BF2, despite not fully joining in with those in BF1. There are plenty of others ready to join in from the other sections.

With regards to police filming you, as an individual, without good reason to, I would urge all to write to Rangers to complain about this blatant intimidation from the police service - a service that Rangers are paying for?

Supporting your team is not a crime and I don't think David Martin understands this yet. We know how much Charles Green and Ally McCoist appreciate the support from BF1 and they would certainly miss it if this police intimidation continues!

This really is another example of how the powers that be and the health and safety Gestapo want to take all the fun away from the game....

the support and enthusiasm of the BF1 has been infectious and they almost single handedly on occasion have created fantastic atmospheres on Match days...the intimidation tactics are shocking and there is absolutely no just cause for names and addresses to be handed over prior to a match...I am raging that our own staff are abdicating this stance...

I hope all involved with the ub and bf1 continue to create the atmosphere they have done and regardless of those barriers being put in the way I hope more and more fans will join in and make the experience of going to Ibrox an even more enjoyable one...

The crowd surfing and standing goes against Health and Safety rules for football clubs and I understand that the club would be responsible should any injury/accident occur. So I understand it and this is why the club need to push for standing areas now we are in the SFL.

That does not excuse the sectarian accusation by our club nor the heavy handed approach by the Police.

"You can stick your fucking camera up yer arse" is a favourite of mine. Saw at the last game all the BF1 lads took out their cameras and videoed the police, this is how to beat them by highlighting their ludicrous behaviour.