McCoist's Rangers Are Not Starting Games Well Enough

DarcheVinny

McCoist's Rangers Are Not Starting Games Well Enough

[imgleft]http://rangersmedia.co.uk/images/resized/images/wv11annanvrangers_200_200.jpg[/imgleft]Three away games, three bitterly disappointing shock draws for Rangers.

After the lucky escape in Peterhead, the lack of a real pre-season got most of the blame as the players got off relatively easily! The following terrible performance in Berwick-upon-Tweed, the home of the most humiliating defeat in the clubs history in 1967, saw McCoist absolutely livid.

After that game he said:

"I'm angry, I'm disappointed and I'm frustrated because that's miles, miles short of what's acceptable. I won't accept it because that's as poor a performance as I've ever seen. I can't say where it comes from, I wish I could because I'd make sure it didn't happen again."

So the point was made that he was extremely angry, but that he couldn't prevent the same thing happening again, as he didn't know what the problem was. Those words now look like a bit of a get-out-clause, for when the same thing did happen.

As we all know, it did happen again. The problem has not been solved and Ally demanded an instant improvement, but there was no anger this time, even though this result was equally as terrible as the draw in Berwick-upon-Tweed.

"I’m obviously disappointed not to get three points and I felt we didn’t really create enough. We had a lot of the ball, particularly in the second half, and we’re not starting the games away from home nearly well enough."

Now you will see the words above, that I have highlighted in bold. This, Mr McCoist, is where your problem comes from.

Rangers are not starting games well enough.

Ally thinks the problem is only away from home, it isn't. In both of our home games this season in SFL Division 3, we have gone behind to an early goal from the far inferior opposing side - before going on to thrash both East Stirlingshire and Elgin City, 5-1.

In the first quote above, Ally says he doesn't know what the problem is. In the second quote, the problem has been found. So what should we see on Tuesday night? Rangers come racing out of the blocks and destroy Queen of the South, regardless of the fact that the Dumfried side are on a very good run of form this season.

It is a simple solution to a simple problem.

Rangers are not starting matches with any real sense of urgency. You cannot expect to perform well when games are started so sluggish and disjointed.

Why are they starting so poorly? The players aren't fired up enough as they come down the tunnel. This is as much the duty of McCoist, McDowall and Durrant, as it is the jobs of the players themselves.

In each of the three SFL Division 3 away games so far, Rangers have not displayed a sense of urgency until the '70 minute mark - when it's too late. Rangers should start every game - especially in the lower divisions - as if it is the last twenty minutes.

You have found your problem, Ally. So fix it.

It would be interesting to find out how the likes of Black and Templeton see the effectiveness of their training regime now compared to what they did at Hearts (SFL3 feeder club).

The same would go for the effectiveness of coaching. Not how they view the different mangerial personas or how better our facilites are. Better facilities are only better if used as such.

Motivating the players seems to be the problem here.

They seem up for it infront of a packed Ibrox but when we head to these smaller stadiums the players just don't turn up. McCoist looks furious and you know he is giving them a dressing down in the dressing room but nothing is changing as they come out and do the exact same in the second half.

How does he fix it? I have no idea, it's not like we have the luxury of a big squad where we can bench the starters for home games so they get the picture.

The style of play and motivation are badly lacking.

We stand off these players away from home and give them too much time to settle on the ball. We supposedly have fitter players with better technique who are able to play under this type of pressure. The opposition play in division 3 for a reason...because they can't play effectively under pressure.

Secondly this use of the long ball is quite frankly an utter embarrassment to Rangers and Scottish football.

Thirdly...the quality of player we have now, although decent, is miles away from what we had last season BUT a helluva better standard than our opposition.

I voiced my concerns on McCoist's abilities as a manager in our pre season games from last year and in the aftermath of the disaster that was Europe.

I kept quiet due to the turmoil affecting the club and also out of respect for McCoist and the job he was doing in trying to save our club and motivate our players.

However I have seen nothing to suggest that McCoist will be a success as our manager if he can't fathom out why we are playing so badly against inferior opposition.

The style of play and motivation are badly lacking.

We stand off these players away from home and give them too much time to settle on the ball. We supposedly have fitter players with better technique who are able to play under this type of pressure. The opposition play in division 3 for a reason...because they can't play effectively under pressure.

Secondly this use of the long ball is quite frankly an utter embarrassment to Rangers and Scottish football.

Thirdly...the quality of player we have now, although decent, is miles away from what we had last season BUT a helluva better standard than our opposition.

I voiced my concerns on McCoist's abilities as a manager in our pre season games from last year and in the aftermath of the disaster that was Europe.

I kept quiet due to the turmoil affecting the club and also out of respect for McCoist and the job he was doing in trying to save our club and motivate our players.

However I have seen nothing to suggest that McCoist will be a success as our manager if he can't fathom out why we are playing so badly against inferior opposition.

It's something that has not been dealt with since Le Guen got sacked. The long ball has been used for a number of years now and I'm starting to think the current coaching staff know no other option other than this style of play.

They seem up for it infront of a packed Ibrox but when we head to these smaller stadiums the players just don't turn up. McCoist looks furious and you know he is giving them a dressing down in the dressing room but nothing is changing as they come out and do the exact same in the second half.

How does he fix it? I have no idea, it's not like we have the luxury of a big squad where we can bench the starters for home games so they get the picture.

Motivation is a huge problem...........that has to be equally shred by the management team and the players...............I mean a player should have no need to be motivated if he is in the starting line up , and the manager/coaches should have the ability to notice from the sidelines that things are not weel and make changes to the formation or the players on the park...........you do not need to make substitutions to get players motivated.....................the long ball re diagonal or straight down the middle is something that should not be a constant in our play.

Midfield in away game does tend to be a negative set up albeit with the same players as play at home......................the old adage of , it doesn't matter if you play at home or away............if you have the better team and we do have the better players.

Sheils hasn't really performed since his début..........question..is he playing the same role since that game?

Black..sand dancing about not really doing anything positive so far and he seems to be the new tale all as far as corners/freekicks

Ally does he play cautious when away from home? I do not buy this pitches excuse .every player in our colours has played on various pitches when making it in the game...............if that is the reason.....god help us when the cold rainy winter night come in.

It's a massive worry.

I've done some scouting this morning and as early as 2009, David Weir had come out after a 1-0 defeat at Aberdeen and said that the squad and management realise they start games slowly, but had no idea as to why.

There's only one constant between 2009 and now, but if I bring that up I'll get criticised for being negative, so I'll let you all work that out.

Motivation is a huge problem...........that has to be equally shred by the management team and the players...............I mean a player should have no need to be motivated if he is in the starting line up , and the manager/coaches should have the ability to notice from the sidelines that things are not weel and make changes to the formation or the players on the park...........you do not need to make substitutions to get players motivated.....................the long ball re diagonal or straight down the middle is something that should not be a constant in our play.

Midfield in away game does tend to be a negative set up albeit with the same players as play at home......................the old adage of , it doesn't matter if you play at home or away............if you have the better team and we do have the better players.

Sheils hasn't really performed since his début..........question..is he playing the same role since that game?

Black..sand dancing about not really doing anything positive so far and he seems to be the new tale all as far as corners/freekicks

Ally does he play cautious when away from home? I do not buy this pitches excuse .every player in our colours has played on various pitches when making it in the game...............if that is the reason.....god help us when the cold rainy winter night come in.

I’m stumped. (not lost my leg yet!)

If the players are not [performing for our manager and coaches then something has to give sooner or later, we keep hearing the players come out like Black on Sat saying it’s not good enough and the players know this and they cant put their fingers on it….well it’s not difficult you would imagine since they play well enough every other week…the same bunch of players yet when we are away the shit hits the fan and we start playing negative hoofball football.

There is no doubt we will get through this league as winners and at a canter too but what happens when we get a half decent team in the cups away from home? How are we going to cope with that?

We might not have the players we are used to but these players are internationalists and full time SPL players of the past…you can look for excuses all day long but the fact is none are good enough to justify how rank rotten we have been so far.

I'm stumped. (not lost my leg yet!)

If the players are not [performing for our manager and coaches then something has to give sooner or later, we keep hearing the players come out like Black on Sat saying it's not good enough and the players know this and they cant put their fingers on it….well it's not difficult you would imagine since they play well enough every other week…the same bunch of players yet when we are away the shit hits the fan and we start playing negative hoofball football.

There is no doubt we will get through this league as winners and at a canter too but what happens when we get a half decent team in the cups away from home? How are we going to cope with that?

We might not have the players we are used to but these players are internationalists and full time SPL players of the past…you can look for excuses all day long but the fact is none are good enough to justify how rank rotten we have been so far.

Said in another thread about if we draw someone from integrity league away, could be a problem and re Black he does seem to come out with the must play better and not good enough after the away games.........think he should address his own performance first.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the knee, you off to the docs this week?

Said in another thread about if we draw someone from integrity league away, could be a problem and re Black he does seem to come out with the must play better and not good enough after the away games.........think he should address his own performance first.

The knee??

Shit.....I have two of them.

Should I be concerned? :disappointment:

Indeed.

Sick of them talking about it rather than get on the training ground and actually do something about it.

They will get no sympathy from me after seeing those kind of perfromances.

Yeah go to see about it Thu, the big needle is being polished as I type.

Indeed.

Sick of them talking about it rather than get on the training ground and actually do something about it.

They will get no sympathy from me after seeing those kind of perfromances.

Yeah go to see about it Thu, the big needle is being polished as I type.

Huge as in needle10310.gif

The tempo of our play at the start of a match is incredibly slow sometimes. If we start the game in possession we just pass it along the back four, then into midfield then back again then out wide and so on. There is no real sense of urgency and this allows the opposition to settle into their shape that will be designed to try and stop us.

If we started by moving the ball quicker we would not be giving them a second to settle(especially at Ibrox when they're bound to be nervous). Ally can't allow this problem to persist.

One of the main problems is the lack of tempo.

When we get a free-kick, we never take it quick. When we get a throw in, we show no urgency. It comes across as laziness but I'm sure it's not, but it is extremely frustrating.

It all boils down to Ally trying to play like Walter, it'll never really work.

And another thing that really pisses me off....do we really need all 11 players back in our box to defend a corner at this level?

He has inherited this 'tactic' from Walter and as far as I can recall there hasn't been a single corner where he has deviated from this.

I think it's a shocking tactic and ultra negative.

Will we really lose a lot more goals by keeping 2 players up front and one in the centre of the park ready to hit on the counter attack?

The problem is he has spent all of his time coaching and assiting with Walter right through his time at Scotland to before last season.

Most of his knowledge on the managing and coaching aspect is always going to be coming from his time with Walter and this is why we are seeing so much similarities.

We don't have the players to set up like Walter did, we have to come up with a set up that gets the best out of what we have. Although you could agrue that no matter the set up we should be rolling part time teams over.

They seem up for it infront of a packed Ibrox but when we head to these smaller stadiums the players just don't turn up.

I understand this point, but if any player at vs Berwick was not inspired or motivated by the Rangers fans at that game then they need to get a grip. Our fans have been great at getting behind the players so far this season, being at a smaller stadium shouldnt be an excuse for any pro let alone one playing for Rangers.