*UPDATE* - Jim Baxter's Scotland Shirt From '67 Is Coming Home, To Ibrox!

DarcheVinny

Jim Baxter's 'Royal' Scotland Shirt From '67 Offered To Rangers

[imgleft]http://rangersmedia.co.uk/images/resized/images/baxterscotland1967_200_200.jpg[/imgleft]In the most recent Sunday Express, there was a story entitled 'Baxter Shirt Collared' and it was revealed that Jim Baxter's Scotland shirt from the famous victory over England in 1967 has been found in a loft in Burham, Kent.

The current owner, Mr Mark Deighan had contacted the paper to not only tell the world that this famous shirt had been found some 45 years after it was worn, but also to try and alert Rangers, with a view to giving it to the club to put on display.

You can read the full article, here.

Speaking to RangersMedia today, Mark said that he wasn't much of a football fan, but his father is a huge Rangers supporter and between them they thought the shirt should come to Rangers - and not the SFA - to be put on display as it would "cheer the fans up after all they've been through this year".

Well I can confirm that I would definitely book myself on to the Ibrox tour for a third time in the past 12 months if this famous shirt was put on display! I am sure many more supporters would too!

Since the Sunday Express published their exclusive, there has yet to be any contact from Rangers to Mr Deighan, so Mark got in contact with RangersMedia to see if we could help.

After a few phone calls this evening, we hope that the wheels could now be set in motion.

It is a wonderful gesture from Mark and I sincerely hope that 'Slim' Jim's famous Scotland shirt comes home to Scotland to be proudly displayed inside Ibrox as soon as possible.

My dad went missing (with weeks pay packet)straight from work at Babcox and Wicox in Renfrew on the Friday afternoon before the 67 game at Wembley. We only lived half an hour away via the renfew ferry so by 6.00 p.m, mum was concerned, had he gone to the pub, had he blown the wages in the bookies ?

By 7.00 p.m. Friday mum was more worried, us two kids (me aged 7)were whining.

By 10.p.m. Friday grandparents had been called in, sitting up all night, no news.

In the early Saturday, morning contacted police for missing persons, beginning to panic

But all the time I now realise we were all thinking. The England Scotland game.

We put it on the TV.

We all watched the game, looking for my dad in the crowd. All gray coats and bunnets in those days, could nt see a familiar bunnet. England 2, Scotland 3 but I dont remember much about the game.

6p.m Saturday. Phone call, noisy background.Dad phoning. In a pub not far from Wembley.

Had got a ticket from a mate on the bus for the game at last minute, got paid, got a few beers, carry out, trip to Wembley, more booze, great result, more booze, a few of you have been there, kept meaning to phone etc, etc (no mobiles in those days.)

Got back on the Sunday and got the cold shoulder treatment from, Mum, and Grandparents for weeks.

Miss my Dad, but one thing I can smile at now is that given the chance to do it again he probably would have done the exact same thing, just to see the great Jim Baxter and the Scottish team play at Wembley.

Jim Baxter's Scotland Shirt From '67 Is Coming Home, To Ibrox!

[imgleft]http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/images/baxterfrontback.jpg[/imgleft]Earlier this week you may remember reading an article on this very newspage, alerting supporters to an article which had been published in the most recent Sunday Express.

The article stated that an English gentleman called Mark Deighan, had found Jim Baxter's shirt from the famous Scotland victory over England in 1967, in his loft at his home in Burham, Kent.

Following the article being published in the Sunday Express, Mark got in touch with RangersMedia to see if we could assist him in getting in touch with Rangers, to offer them the opportunity to loan the shirt and showcase on display within Ibrox.

You will all be delighted to read that Rangers have today contacted Mark and are delighted that he has gone out of his way to try and get in touch with them. Rangers are also delighted to accept Mark's offer of loaning the shirt - free of charge might I add - to be showcased within Ibrox, for everyone connected to the club to enjoy for many years to come.

Mark and his huge Rangers supporting father are well and truly over the moon that Rangers are happy to accept their incredible offer.

"My father and I are really happy that Rangers want to showcase 'Slim' Jim's shirt. The response I read from the supporters who have read the story on RangersMedia, was really nice to see and I knew we were doing the right thing for the fans, when I saw how much this meant to them.

A huge thankyou must go to Greg Christison of The Express, Jim Hannah of Rangers Football Club and of course my new friends at RangersMedia. Without all of the aforementioned, this could not have been possible!"

In the near future Mark and his father Jimmy will be invited to Ibrox as special guests, to watch the game from the Director's Box, as well as officially presenting the shirt to the club. Since the wheels were set in motion, Mark has also discovered the official match programme from that famous game, which will accompany the shirt in being presented to Rangers.

A really nice conclusion to a really quite incredible story.