4-4-2

wee josh

Seemed like that at times today but even that formation would struggle to break down a 9-0-1

Then we need to prevent teams from going a goal up therefore the game is still open. We need to get the first goal and take control.

It irritates me when some people think more strikers = more attacking = more goals

For the personell we have at the minute, I don't see many other options than to play Jig on his own. The key is getting men to adequately support him. The return of Little and Templeton cannot come soon enough

What about a 4-3-1-2. McCulloch and McKay up front with Sheils playing off them. MacLeod, Black and Hutton are the midfield 3. Use Wallace and TheGreek to get forward and provide the width.

"TheGreek" :lol:

I agree with you though mate. Hutton has to be brought back in to the team.

Fucking usual 'Play more striker because then we'll be much more attacking and score much more goals!'

NO.

Formations mean almost nothing in how a team plays, it's about your tactics within that formation. It doesn't matter if we play 1,2 or 5 strikers, when our tactics are to just smash the ball 70 yards in the general direction of their heads that's when things go tits up because the big, mutant centre halfs of the lower leagues will just header it back all game every game.

We don't need more strikers. We need to play higher up the park, press these shite teams into losing the ball and getting players up in support making forward runs.

Course it's about tactics but the narrowness of some of these parks would simply compress a loaded midfield.

4-4-2 Keeps it structured and tight to win the midfield to go on and win the game

4-3-3 allows for widemen to use the sides of midfield]

3-5-2 would realy let us stretch teams

yada yada yada

There are simply 2 things we are not doing enough of

• Dominating and winning the midfield battle
  • Finishing better

Without that we'll struggle whatever the formation we play

It irritates me when some people think more strikers = more attacking = more goals

For the personell we have at the minute, I don't see many other options than to play Jig on his own. The key is getting men to adequately support him. The return of Little and Templeton cannot come soon enough

Well, one things for sure....playing 1 is not working...especially when the opponents cram the box full of defenders. Playing 3 up front isn't working when two of the guys just get to the bye line & cross the ball in for our 1 striker who is faced with 7,8 or 9 defenders.

You can work out the most complicated formation all you like....this is 3rd division football we're talking about. We're Rangers. We've simply got to get over this apparent 'inferiority' complex we seem to have away from home. If they have 9 in the box, we should have 10! We should stop treating these teams with the sort of respect we'd show top SPL/European teams and at least have a dominating presence up front.

I'm surprised that Ally doesn't think back to the days of Hately & McCoist - Hately & Johnston. We were feared because we had a guy up front who could knock the ball down to another striker. Our strikers ran at defenders even when they didn't have the ball....criss crossing with each other to pull the defenders away & make spaces. All we simply seem to do now is come out with a defensive formation & invite teams to attack us.

I agree about Templeton & Little. They are a massive loss for us. Jig & Little up top would be my preferred choice!