It's Time For Ex-Ref Kenny Clark To Shut Up!

JCS

My response to Kenny Clarke's ludicrous article in Monday's Scottish Sun is on the home page and also reproduced below.

Sorry guys, can't get a workable link to the home page - I think it may have something to do with this 'virus' problem we've been having all morning.

It's Time For Ex-Ref Kenny Clark To Shut Up!

I never thought Kenny Clarke a stupid man - until now that is! Yes, I know he’s not the Pierluigi Collina of Scottish referees, but I always thought him a reasonably competent referee - but now I’m not so sure.

His column in the Scottish Sun on Monday, 8th has quite dramatically altered my view, and I’m afraid I have now firmly consigned him to the ‘dunces corner’ for silly, self-opinionated would –be referees.

Clarke’s article entitled ‘Time to Man Up’, opened with these revealing words,

“I have not seen much footage from their shock defeat to Stirling Albion. But I did pick up on fan grumbles about the perceived physical play of their hosts. There was also unhappiness over how the referee Bobby Madden dealt with it. Now I’m in no position to judge Bobby’s performance. But I am astonished that others, especially fans, are surprised that their lower league opponents are getting stuck into Rangers.”

There you have it. Clarke didn’t see much footage of the game, yet he considers himself sufficiently well versed to write an article exhorting the Rangers players to ‘Man Up’ after their rough handling at Stirling on Saturday past.

Clarke openly admits that he is in, ‘no position to judge’ referee Bobby Madden’s performance, yet he goes on to offer some excuses (thinly disguised as rational explanations) for Madden’s inexplicable and negligent refereeing performance on Saturday – a performance that Kenny Clarke did not see and, as he says, is in no position to judge!

He expresses ‘astonishment’ that our fans are surprised that lower league opponents are ‘getting stuck into Rangers’, even though most Rangers fans fully expected (and accepted) that would be the case, are on record as saying so, and have complained very little about the many ‘robust’ challenges our players have endured over the past several weeks.

Clarke, of course, does not acknowledge that fact, and nor does he draw a distinction between ‘getting stuck in’ and violent conduct. And let’s face it; some of the tackles from the Stirling players on Saturday were not only violent, but bordering on GBH – an arrestable offence in the book of most polis officers I know!

“What are they meant to do?” pleads Kenny Clarke, “Lie down to the big team? I hardly think so.”

What an incisive and insightful comment from one of Scotland’s so called ‘top’ referees. Perhaps, Kenny Clarke thinks that not lying down to the ‘big team’ means that the ‘smaller’ team has carte blanche to kick our players as much as they like – after all we are a full time side that trains more than two evenings a week – and that’s an important factor to Kenny Clarke!

I’m not aware that Rangers fans (or any other fans for that matter) have an expectation that lower league teams will, simply, lie down and surrender. That’s utter nonsense. But we do expect even-handedness; we do expect the referee to penalise a player – any player of whatever status - for blatantly violent conduct. But clearly Kenny Clarke takes a different view.

“Officials handed Rangers games will not have a deliberate mind-set of giving leeway to their part-time opposition (notice the emphasis on part-time). That would be unacceptable. But, subconsciously, I can understand if during matches they view certain tackles or fouls mindful of their level”, reasons Kenny Clarke.

There’s always a BUT isn’t there! ‘Certain tackles or fouls mindful of their level’, says Clarke. What on earth does that mean? Is violent conduct less violent because it’s perpetrated by a Division 3 player, and much more violent when committed by a player from a higher Division?

It would appear that Kenny Clarke, and his refereeing colleagues think so, as they tend to view certain tackles and foul play on different ‘levels’ - he says so, and he states that he ‘subconsciously’ understands that referees may actually do so. So if I read Kenny Clarke correctly, violent conduct from a player in the Scottish 3rd Division may, perhaps, be understandable, and may be considered more leniently than that from, say, a Division 1 or an SPL player.

I hadn’t understood that before, but it now seems that we have ‘grades’ of violent conduct dependent upon whether you’re a full – time professional or part –time player?

Undoubtedly that’s what Kenny Clarke thinks, because he claims that, “it would still be only human nature for referees to weigh up certain incidents and be aware of the fact the part-timers have probably only trained twice that week.”

So part-timers, because they only train twice a week, may be ‘excused’ their violent conduct, the odd criminal assault on the pitch, or a few leg - breaking tackles now and then! Maybe he should try telling that to the many players who have been stretchered off, hospitalised, and sidelined for months as a direct consequence of brutal, premeditated assaults that he recklessly describes as referees simply “allowing a degree of competitiveness.”

Had Kenny Clarke taken the time to study the match on Saturday, and with it Bobby Madden’s sub-standard performance, he could not possibly have concluded that “that they tried to get to the ball as fast as they could, as opposed to trying to deliberately foul a Rangers player.” Some – not all - of those challenges were consciously intended to injure. At least two were totally reckless and worthy of an immediate red card. But, hey, they’re just part-timers who only train two evenings a week so that’s alright!

Kenny Clarke says, “a good strong tackle is part of the Scottish game”, and he’s undoubtedly right - but a violent assault is most definitely not.

No we won’t “get out of Division Three by playing only sophisticated football”, and yes our players are “going to have to roll up their sleeves and be prepared to do the dirty work to add to their superior ability”, but Rangers don’t intend that that ‘dirty work’ should include deliberately injuring fellow players.

Kenny Clarke’s spurious arguments have nothing whatsoever to do with the right of a player not to be kicked all over the park. His arguments have nothing whatsoever to do with the right to be protected from the violent assaults of some players who simply (and quite literally) wish to make their ‘mark’ when playing against Rangers.

Rangers players are not asking for special treatment, and nor are the fans; but we are demanding the protection that we are entitled to and that every referee should give without fear or favour. To ignore some of the assaults that have occurred in recent weeks, and attempt to pass them off as ‘a degree of competitiveness’ is negligent and irresponsible – or, maybe, just the incompetence that we have come to expect.

So, please Kenny, don’t attempt to mask your negligence and incompetence (and that of your fellow referees), by suggesting that Rangers simply need to ‘man up’ in order to deal with the rigours of Division 3 . This is not about courage, ‘grit’ and determination but, rather, about ensuring that players don’t end up with a broken legs (or much worse) because referee’s like you think that “blood-and-snotters” is an essential part of the game!

Thank feck you didn't manage to get a link up of that rat-arsed paper, only good for wiping your arse.

Bad tackles happen in football, true. We know that as David Tempelton is still unable to play due to the tackle he received against Berwick.

Do you think he passes his articles with the SFA/SPL before putting them forward for print? :wanker:

Can just imagine the visitors dressing room at Ibrox for our match vs Clyde

Duffy: right guys. Kit check. Machete?

Team: check!

Duffy: knuckle dusters?

Duffy: pistol?

Duffy: right. Let's do these ********.

First five minutes and Black is bludgeoned to the ground. Big Lee screams at the ref and is booked for unsporting behaviour and Black booked for simulation.

have e-mailed UEFA and they informed me that rules for referees are the same whether in premier division in any country or lower divisions. so kenny do one and get tae feck. you are a anti-rangers bigot. as UEFA have said yellow card and red card fouls are the same no matter what division or league.