Old photo of Ibrox

dan_ger

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what year that photo was taken?

Not a scooby! Hopefully some of the historians on here will be able to tell us a bit more about it.

I knew there was a dog track nearby but didn't realise another stadium right across the road!

Can anyone explain the different stadiums in the pictures?

I know there is a dog track and a sports stadium and is the small park St Anthony's ground? I remember that being there when I was younger, maybe 10 years ago near to where my bus parked on CL nights.

I suspect the 3-D aspect to both photos suggests these are RAF pictures taken to aid anti-aircraft defence planning. The docks and approaches to are the areas of tactical importance.

The pitch on Broomloan is the Albion(old training ground), now the car park. The other ground is the White City, now Strathclyde Police station.

Not a scooby! Hopefully some of the historians on here will be able to tell us a bit more about it.

I knew there was a dog track nearby but didn't realise another stadium right across the road!

I know there is a dog track and a sports stadium and is the small park St Anthony's ground? I remember that being there when I was younger, maybe 10 years ago near to where my bus parked on CL nights.

Your correct going from the bottom left the three stadiums are the dog track, albion training ground and of course Ibrox.

St Ants Park is just to the leftoif the wee rangers club, and the house I lived in from 71 to 75 is on the PRW at the corner where the road runs up from the cellic end. The dog track was already run down by the seventies so the first pic has to be 60s or earlier

I suspect the 3-D aspect to both photos suggests these are RAF pictures taken to aid anti-aircraft defence planning. The docks and approaches to are the areas of tactical importance.

The pitch on Broomloan is the Albion(old training ground), now the car park. The other ground is the White City, now Strathclyde Police station.

Found this link http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=297800&image_id=SC411517

Think you are right regarding the photo type.

The Stadium nearest in your first picture (accross from Bellahouston Park) I believe was known as The White City, I remember going to the Speedway events (motorbikes)....I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about the name

think its the whitecity greyhounds park and benburb juniors i know the albion was greyhound park hope iy helps

Your correct going from the bottom left the three stadiums are the dog track, albion training ground and of course Ibrox.

St Ants Park is just to the leftoif the wee rangers club, and the house I lived in from 71 to 75 is on the PRW at the corner where the road runs up from the cellic end. The dog track was already run down by the seventies so the first pic has to be 60s or earlier

So the White city was the dog track and a sports ground? Or was the Albion used for the dogs or was it Rangers training ground?

So the White city was the dog track and a sports ground? Or was the Albion used for the dogs or was it Rangers training ground?

Lifted from google m8

Glasgow Speedway was formed in 1928 and were initially based at the White City stadium on Paisley Road West in Ibrox, Glasgow (close to Rangers F.C.'s Ibrox Stadium). Other venues were also operating open meetings around this time at Carntyne Greyhound Stadium, The Girodome and Nelson Athletic Grounds in the Gallowgate area of the city. White City had been built in 1928 as a greyhound track and hosted speedway in the 1930 and 1931 Northern League and the 1939 Open/ACU Trophy. White City staged meetings from 1928 until 1931 and again from 1939 (Glasgow Lions) to 1940 and finally in 1945.[1]

Lifted from google m8

Glasgow Speedway was formed in 1928 and were initially based at the White City stadium on Paisley Road West in Ibrox, Glasgow (close to Rangers F.C.'s Ibrox Stadium). Other venues were also operating open meetings around this time at Carntyne Greyhound Stadium, The Girodome and Nelson Athletic Grounds in the Gallowgate area of the city. White City had been built in 1928 as a greyhound track and hosted speedway in the 1930 and 1931 Northern League and the 1939 Open/ACU Trophy. White City staged meetings from 1928 until 1931 and again from 1939 (Glasgow Lions) to 1940 and finally in 1945.[1]

i kow for certain the albion was a greyhound track take me to matinee meeting when i was a wee boy,fuck iv'e realy aged in the last ten minutes hope i didn't imagine it

Whats the stadium where the current albion car park is? is that the first Ibrox?

Also anyone know what the smaller third stadium is? Looks like it might be greyhound racing or something, too small for football.

Edit: should have read the fucking thread before posting haha

By the seventies the dog track was run down. The Albion was at that time a training ground only.

(They spent as much time training over at Bellahouston Park then as well as at the albion,l so I had a fair old collection of autographs especially valued Alex McDonald, Tommy McLeans and Tom Forsyths. Dont know what happened to my wee autograph book. I had all the Brazilian 1970 world cup team including Jairzinho. Think i valued Tommy McLeans more than Jairzinhos then and at that time knew for sure Tommy was the better player.......

The only building in that area aside from the high rises then was the Police car storage building where they kept all their undercover cars and road vehicles.

By the seventies the dog track was run down. The Albion was at that time a training ground only. (They spent as much time training over at Bellahouston Park then as well so I had a fair old collection of autographs especially Alex McDonald, Tommy McLeans and Tom Forsyths. Dont knw what happened to my wee autograph

book. I had all the Brazilian 1970 world cup team including Jairzinho. Think i valued Tommy McLeans more than Jairzinhos.

These photo's always bring up cracking stories! (tu)