Why do we allow guests on our forums?

BillyFC

I'm relatively new and it's probably been asked and answered already but after the situation at the game tonight I noticed there were over 350 "guests" reading the post about what was being witnessed. It seems reasonable to me to make people register before allowing them to read what true supporters are saying to each other.

If you're a guest reading this and you're a loyal supporter then why not register? If you're not a Rangers fan then surely you can find other ways to get your kicks? I know that Rangers are more interesting than your own club but you really aught to find something more suited to your own kind.

:ukflag:

I'm relatively new and it's probably been asked and answered already but after the situation at the game tonight I noticed there were over 350 "guests" reading the post about what was being witnessed. It seems reasonable to me to make people register before allowing them to read what true supporters are saying to each other.

If you're a guest reading this and you're a loyal supporter then why not register? If you're not a Rangers fan then surely you can find other ways to get your kicks? I know that Rangers are more interesting than your own club but you really aught to find something more suited to your own kind.

:ukflag:

Because we are nice people and have nothing to hide.Also it pays for the site,and any profits go to charities.So the haters are at least doing something worthwhile with their miserable lives.

Also, the forum is geared towards openness. By allowing others to view our threads, it helps attract genuine posters who want to contribute to the Rangers Media forum.

From memory a few guests signed up to the forum because they wanted to donate the sponsor a player fund.

I had an angry moment over on the "police assaulting fans" thread about the amount of lurkers but in reality it gives revenue to the site which is all good.

They should sign up though and join in with the debates. I am sure true Bears have plenty of opinions to share

I'm a new member but have been an avid reader of RM for a long time. Just signed up today. Been following Rangers since the mid 60's. still get butterflies when our team run onto the park before kick off. I'd just like to say hello hello to fellow bears & its great to be on board.

I'm a new member but have been an avid reader of RM for a long time. Just signed up today. Been following Rangers since the mid 60's. still get butterflies when our team run onto the park before kick off. I'd just like to say hello hello to fellow bears & its great to be on board.

Thanks all - I hadn't thought through the advertising angle. I do get the openness point too but there have been times of late that what was being said on the site even made the press (and not in a positive way). I know those that want to get in will get in regardless but the attention tonight (over 2000 guests) has caused some performance problems and I just wonder if the visitors are the type we really want (they weren't looking for good news!). Point taken all the same.

I can honestly say I have NEVER looked at another club's website or any of their forums. I don't give a toss what they or their fans say and it staggers me to think that others come here who are not Rangers fans.

Got a feeling that Bugglekelly has just made his point about how easy it is to register even if you're not a Rangers fan!

Welcome aboard mate

Thanks all - I hadn't thought through the advertising angle. I do get the openness point too but there have been times of late that what was being said on the site even made the press (and not in a positive way). I know those that want to get in will get in regardless but the attention tonight (over 2000 guests) has caused some performance problems and I just wonder if the visitors are the type we really want (they weren't looking for good news!). Point taken all the same.

I can honestly say I have NEVER looked at another club's website or any of their forums. I don't give a toss what they or their fans say and it staggers me to think that others come here who are not Rangers fans.

Got a feeling that Bugglekelly has just made his point about how easy it is to register even if you're not a Rangers fan!

Trust me there are times we all wish it was just Bears reading our posts, but the site is run on the advertising revenue and its quite funny to think of the tims contibuting to Rangers charitys and Rangers related organisations, they just cant get enough Rangers news :pipe:

Ouch! Hey steady! My first post & getting slagged off already. Kept pressing wrong button. Got pics of me , my daughter,son in law & granddaughter at last weeks game mate. I thought it was the perfect thread for me to 'jump aboard'.

Sorry Buggleskelly, I genuinely thought we may have surfaced a non-Rangers fan with a sardonic sense of humour!

I'm not one to jump to conclusions (normally) so welcome aboard!

People won't join if they can't see what's going on. You come along, have a look, like what you see and sign up. It's perfectly possible to have a closed forum for registered members only but there's nothing to stop anyone signing up. You would need a vetting system like seeing their smartcard and that's not going to work.