Media Fair play

Smile

Celtic apologise to Dundee after 'disturbance' at Boxing Day game

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has apologised to Dundee after trouble in the away end during their Boxing Day game.

During the tie at Dens Park, Tayside Police dealt with a "level of disturbance primarily within the Celtic section of the stadium".

The trouble at the Scottish Premier League match included a series of bangers being set off in the away end during the first-half.

Police confirmed that five supporters, one for the home side Dundee and four following away team Celtic, will be reported to the Crown following the disturbance.

A force spokeswoman said: "There was a level of disturbance at the match, primarily within the Celtic section of the stadium.

"Five people are to be reported to the procurator fiscal for alleged football-related offences. Officers responded to the incidents quickly and took appropriate action."

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell responded: "We are very proud that Celtic supporters enjoy such a great reputation and it is therefore extremely disappointing that the behaviour of a small minority has tarnished the good name of the club and our fans in this way.

"Clearly, we apologise to Dundee Football Club - we will work with them and look into any incident which is raised and if we can identify any individuals involved, we will obviously take the strongest possible action.

"We have received a number of complaints today from our own supporters about the conduct of this minority - we cannot allow our supporters' enjoyment of our matches to be affected in this way and we will not sit and allow the club's reputation to be damaged. Our supporters over many years have earned such a fantastic repuation for positively supporting the club, we will not allow this to be taken from them. It is time for all our true supporters who care about Celtic to unite with the club and find a solution to this problem."

Celtic won the tie 2-0 with goals from Georgios Samaras and Gary Hooper.

Dundee FC operations manager Jim Thomson said that his staff were shocked at some of the behaviour by an element of the travelling support on Wednesday night.

He added: "There was widespread drunkenness, and I mean widespread, within the Celtic support. We were confiscating drink from supporters in the concourse leading to the turnstiles. They were clearly drunk coming in and we had a decision to make on whether we let them in and we took the decision that we had to let them in because we would have had other consequences if we didn't.

"Once in, they were abusing our turnstile staff, our canteen staff and even fighting among themselves, and I mean serious disorder within the concourse. All in all it was just not a nice experience. In the 20 years I've been organising games here at Dens Park I have never seen anything like that - it was a throwback to the 70s that we are all probably ashamed of.

"I would say that the scheduling of the fixture (it was televised on ESPN with a 7.30pm kick-off) didn't help. Nonetheless, I don't want to make light of it, but I can have a skinful but I'm not going to go and behave like people did last night. It's just not acceptable."

http://news.stv.tv/t...-v-celtic-game/

It's been on STV News website for quite awhile now

Only gets mentioned once Liewell has had the chance to put some positive spin on it, a bit like the Stokes story, it only got printed once sellick had put some positive spin on that too. You can bet your bottom dollar it would've been front page news if it had been Bears.

Only gets mentioned once Liewell has had the chance to put some positive spin on it, a bit like the Stokes story, it only got printed once sellick had put some positive spin on that too. You can bet your bottom dollar it would've been front page news if it had been Bears.

Actually, the first report didn't include the Celtic response, only the comments from Dundee.

STV have been pretty fair & unbiased in their reporting.

Actually, the first report didn't include the Celtic response, only the comments from Dundee.

STV have been pretty fair & unbiased in their reporting.

The first report was a local Dundee newspaper. STV only reported it once Liewell had condemned the trouble. Juan guy better get back into hiding.

The first report was a local Dundee newspaper. STV only reported it once Liewell had condemned the trouble. Juan guy better get back into hiding.

Wrong, the first report from STV was earlier today, I read it on my phone via link from @STVNews.

They have since updated their report to include the response from Celtic.

The Dundee Operations guy shoots himself in the foot by saying they let them in knowing they were drunk. Sounds like the police and stewards were overwhelmed, by the so called minority or the widespread drunkenness

The filth use their own stewards at games so are allowed carte blanche to do what they want.

The Dundee Operations guy shoots himself in the foot by saying they let them in knowing they were drunk. Sounds like the police and stewards were overwhelmed, by the so called minority or the widespread drunkenness

in fairness to the guy, the way i read this was that he was taking a veiled swipe by saying "if we didnt let them in, you know what this scum are capable of". at least in the stadium they wouldnt be able to intimidate locals, or smash peoples windows

Could they not have a more imaginative ending this time like a huge alien mothership arrives just in time levitates the Titanic out of the north atlantic and delivers it to New York where cheering crowds fill the streets causing the 2 world wars to be avoided due to contact with the interstellar community raising our consciousness :thumbup:

So, around 30 fans of the unwashed are admitted in a state of stupour. The fhat chontroller has it as 4 as he releases a mhedia response, promising a full invhestighation of the fhacts whislt ignoring the inneptitude of Septic security personnel who attended. All of this emerges as Titanic is being shown on TV ( and Kate Winslett has her puppies out for the lads :spraise: ) Peter Liewell.............the chunt who put the tit in Titanic and probably put the cunt in Scunthorpe as well. A real force in Europe tho....................