Old Ibrox... new Ibrox. GIF animation.

Do we know the dates of both pictures. I'm guessing the latest is very recent and the older one must be 60s/70s with the tower block in the background. I suspect the picture is taken from the other tower blocks at the Copland end.

I also think there's a sad element to the older picture, which older bears may be able to confirm. I believe that's stairway 13 on the right, which causes pause for thought at, especially at this time of year.

Spare a thought for those poor souls.

Do we know the dates of both pictures. I'm guessing the latest is very recent and the older one must be 60s/70s with the tower block in the background. I suspect the picture is taken from the other tower blocks at the Copland end.

I also think there's a sad element to the older picture, which older bears may be able to confirm. I believe that's stairway 13 on the right, which causes pause for thought at, especially at this time of year.

Spare a thought for those poor souls.

The modern pic is pretty recent. The older pic is in the sixties. There is no cover to the Copland Road end.

As for the disaster stairway, yes that is it on the right. Every time I see an old photo of the stairway I think back to that awful day.

The modern pic is pretty recent. The older pic is in the sixties. There is no cover to the Copland Road end.

As for the disaster stairway, yes that is it on the right. Every time I see an old photo of the stairway I think back to that awful day.

Cheers for that mate. (tu)

2vlo3gh.jpg

looks like it here Thermo

It's not there is it?

Stairway 13 in painfully narrow when you see it there :anguish:. In the modern Ibrox the exits take up about half the frontage but that is perhaps only 10% of the end. I wonder what part the railway played ... it would certainly have been easier to widen it if there had been more room

It's not there is it?

Stairway 13 in painfully narrow when you see it there :anguish:. In the modern Ibrox the exits take up about half the frontage but that is perhaps only 10% of the end. I wonder what part the railway played ... it would certainly have been easier to widen it if there had been more room

Not there, but the land it was built on might be.

Speaking of the Disaster, I visited my elderly uncle today - he's in a care home near Ibrox, he has terminal cancer and his memory is going so we find it easier to reminisce about events years ago. We were talking about that terrible day, and I said I assumed he had been at the game. He was quiet then replied not only was he at the game but as he made his way down the exit stairway adjacent to passageway 13 he could see people falling. He must have been so close to losing his life that day, and it took me 42 years to find this out.

Your uncles generation fought the fascists and then rebuilt the country in the late 40s and 50s :clap: .

I just mention the social club because I'm sure there wasn't any room for it when the old ground was there and yet in my thoughts it also seems older than the new one ... and obviously both can't be right <cr>

Your uncles generation fought the fascists and then rebuilt the country in the late 40s and 50s :clap: .

I just mention the social club because I'm sure there wasn't any room for it when the old ground was there and yet in my thoughts it also seems older than the new one ... and obviously both can't be right <cr>

I'm sure the Social Club was built in the early 70's before the ground was redeveloped. In the pic I posted there is a strip of land between the outside boundary wall of the old East Terracing and the tenements, which I think it was later built on.

It's not there is it?

The Social Club building had no effect on the disaster. The stairway was as wide as the other three main staircases. They were wide enough but the problem was simply the volume of people exiting at one time. There were two other smaller staircases at the end of the Main Stand and two exits under the old shed opposite the stand.