CRO - Billy Boys Breakthrough

billmcmurdo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just one aspect, the local police, we still need support from the club who originally banned it, and in addition we need to liaise with UEFA to ensure it wont cause sanctions.

Nevertheless a good step in the right direction.

At this rate all the committee tasks will have been undertaken and completed before the committee even gets set up.

After reading the blog it looks like the police are saying that a song with the same rythm as the BB can never be made in Scotland.

To get an official response (not that I doubted Mr Smith, let it be said) I managed to contact Marian Maclean, deputy director of the Football Coordination Unit for Scotland - known as FoCUS - with Strathclyde Police.

She said: “I cannot speak for what another police officer may have told the journalist you mentioned. However, as far as my team are concerned singing of 'The Billy Boys' without lyrics involving sectarian or other offensive language would notresult in us looking to arrest those involved.”

It is ludicrous that anyone could be arrested for singing a tune that was once sung to what was considered offensive or sectarian lyrics.

FFS that would mean that if the fans sung 'Marching Through Georgia' they could get lifted. I'd dearly love to see that one tested in court.

If a version that keeps off the 'blood dancing' bit could be agreed then we should go for it.

The days when we can get done for breathing out of our right nostril, while these ugly bassas go around glorifying terrorists, are on the way out.

we need to change 1 line of the song. I am sure someone will come up with something good and the song can be sung again. :thumbup:

Indeed!

How about something like - Were up to our knees in dirty scum, surrender or you'll die

What ever we go with the fenian replacement still needs to be double syllable to keep the tempo the same!

It's still not without its complications if the line resembles the old version. People would still mistakenly sing it when pissed. Police could still claim they heard somebody sing it. UEFA are not known for bothering about listening to reason if it "sounds the same".

obliterate the "we're up to our knees in ?? Blood" and replace it with something 100% recognizable as Rangers and we are on easy street. (tu)

It's still not without its complications if the line resembles the old version. People would still mistakenly sing it when pissed. Police could still claim they heard somebody sing it. UEFA are not known for bothering about listening to reason if it "sounds the same".

obliterate the "we're up to our knees in ?? Blood" and replace it with something 100% recognizable as Rangers and we are on easy street. (tu)

100% agree.

Hello hello, we are the Billy boys.

Hello hello, you'll know us by our noise.

Our enemies tried to kill us..

But we will never die.

'cause we are the Rangers Billy boys.

I know, I know ..but taking out the 'bad' words and making the song about our survival and strength makes it legal and relevant.

Something along those lines.

Btw I don't want to change any of it ...but I'd like it back so I'd compromise.

If a reincarnation is to be survivable please leave out any lyrics like; 'they tried to kill us of but we will never die.'

Please. It will only encourage fans to sing the old lyrics if the new ones are heavy shite.

As some of you will know, I've always been against bringing this song back............. :wink:

However, I'm prepared to go with the flow here, and suggest: We're up to our knees in silverware.

see my suggeation a few posts back mate. You approve?