Rangers Mourn Malcolm Brodie

Gers Mourn Malcolm Brodie

WRITTEN BY LINDSAY HERRON

467a11bbfad7b1d341b6b5e16438d2b3_XL.jpg

RANGERS Football Club would like to offer its condolences to the family and friends of legendary Northern Ireland sports journalist Malcolm Brodie.

Malcolm passed away on Tuesday at the age of 86 and was a legend in the newspaper business. He was not only revered in his wee country but also around the world having covered 14 World Cup Finals for the Belfast Telegraph.

A lifelong Rangers fan, Malcolm was born in Glasgow but was evacuated to Portadown during the Second World War and it was there he began his journalistic life.

Long-time friend and colleague with the rival Belfast Newsletter, Billy Kennedy wrote: “Malcolm Brodie was an iconic Ulster institution in both journalism and sport - a man with a very special talent and insatiable around-the-clock zest for the newspaper and media work that was his life for 70 years.

“Malkie, as we all knew him, was for me a personal mentor, colleague and friend over a period of more than 50 years and his passing has grieved me terribly.

“Though the decades, in my role as a journalist, and in another capacity as a Linfield director, I got to know Malcolm closely as a man of great humility, integrity and generosity.

“He was a friend and wise adviser to every young journalist who crossed his path and he was always on level terms with the ordinary football supporter (‘the punters as he called them’), of whatever club allegiance.

“Malcolm was a proud Scot, brought up in the hungry thirties on Clydeside, but, moving to Northern Ireland as a teenager, he also became a proud Ulsterman, imbued with a deep sense of loyalty, belonging and interest in all that was best in our unique culture.

“Growing up in Glasgow he was weaned on the ‘Old Firm’ rivalry of Rangers and Celtic and, while a self-confessed ‘Blue Nose’ this did not prevent him having a tremendous respect for the green and white football traditions in the east end of the city.

“Malcolm covered 14 World Cup finals and he was recognised by FIFA for his outstanding input to the game that he loved. And he numbered among his friends people like Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein, George Best, Pele, Bobby Moore and Booby Charlton. He was also recognised by the Queen with an MBE.”

The funeral of Malcolm Brodie, who is survived by hs wife Margaret and three sons – Ian, Stephen and Kenneth, will take place in Cregagh Presbyterian Church in east Belfast on Monday, February 4 at noon.

R.I.P

See you ya fucking clown,hope your looking for me,my eyes are wide open.

#

This rest in peace shit is taig...... you guys have been about em too long is all and are now using 'their' terminology... shame on you.... you'll be crossing yourselves next !

Gers Mourn Malcolm Brodie

WRITTEN BY LINDSAY HERRON

467a11bbfad7b1d341b6b5e16438d2b3_XL.jpg

RANGERS Football Club would like to offer its condolences to the family and friends of legendary Northern Ireland sports journalist Malcolm Brodie.

best in our unique culture.

“Growing up in Glasgow he was weaned on the ‘Old Firm’ rivalry of Rangers and Celtic and, while a self-confessed ‘Blue Nose’ this did not prevent him having a tremendous respect for the green and white football traditions in the east end of the city.

“Malcolm covered 14 World Cup finals and he was recognised by FIFA for his outstanding input to the game that he loved. And he numbered among his friends people like , Jock Stein,

R.I.P

Big Jock knew though, eh ?

No harm to the fella's memory though..... now the judgement.

#

This rest in peace shit is taig...... you guys have been about em too long is all and are now using 'their' terminology... shame on you.... you'll be crossing yourselves next !

still not wanting to meet for couple pints before next home game,no your a fucking timmy n you'll not be their.

You are spouting abuse in a thread about someone dying who loved Rangers.

Show some respect.

Respect says you to me... and with many a poster mentioning RIP for the guy, That is timmy wording..... prods DON'T say this term dude.... you don't know this ?????????????

You lot will be crossing yourselves next.

I respect the fella for what and who he was.... I do not respect you fenian-types with the RIP slogans.... not at all.