A simplistic view on todays performance!

scarkev

I think the vast majority would agree that today (especially in the second half) was the best performance the players have produced for a number of weeks. Now like a bad performance, in isolation, it doesn't mean alot and we all want to see consistency and progression in our play and performance. However it certainly was a vast improvement and much more enjoyable than recent fair.

Now as the title suggests I have a pretty simple view as to why our performance was improved today. Yes there are a number of factors that can affect a performance, predominately geared around the attitude of the players but for me two very important issues were addressed today;

1/ Players playing in their natural positions - I, like most of you, get frustrated when we try to shoehorn players into positions and formations that they are not suited to. I think it was pretty evident today how much more comfortable a number of players were playing in positions and in a system they were more accustomed to. Yes there will be an argument that players should be able to play in various positions but for me, in our current circumstance we should keep things simple and pick players for the position and not the other way about.

2/ Addressing the issue on our Right hand side - Im not wanting to come accross like I know more than anyone else, I certainly don't, but for the past month I have posted the exact same thing in match day threads about our line-ups, relating to the clear issue on our right side. For the past few weeks it has been so clear that all our attacking play was being stifled in the final 3rd because we had no width on the right. With Hegarty at right back he wasnt offering himself on the overlap and with little at right mid, he was always looking to cut in which in turn slowed down our play as we didnt have the option right and forced the majority of our attacks down the left.

Today there was a vast improvement in this area. Say what you want about the Greek, he's not the best, but as a natural right back with lots of energy he does make a big difference for us in the final 3rd even if he doesnt get the ball. By being an option on the overlap he occupies a defender and creates space for our attacking players centrally (see how much more involved Sheils was today in advanced areas). Having 2 more naturally wide players today also allowed us to keep possession and create opportunities in advanced areas.

As I say there are other factors that would have affected todays performance (Albear85 making an apperance might be the trick :sherlock: ) but to me at least these 2 issues were very noticeable improvements. I am hopeful that although he was "forced" into this by injuries Ally will learn from today and use it as a platform to build on. Was happy to see the 3 youngsters get some game time from the bench and in the remaining games I hope to see more of them getting a run.

Added bonus I had a fiver on 4-0 so first rounds on me tonight! :7325:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think McKay must have been practising his crosses. Today he showed a bit of improvement in that area

Mckays final ball and decision making will improve with time...I would be encouraging him to do more of what he did for the first goal at the moment, burn the defender with pace and maintain his width, much more effective and productive whilst he is still learning the game.

Wee McKay must now be giving a run in the team. He was my MOM by a mile. Love the way he glides across the ground and pays with his head up. A real prospect!

I actually thought Hutton should have got MOM today ahead of black but McKay was a close 2nd for me. I don't mind ally using him from the bench on occasion but I would like to see him get a run of at least 4/5 starts.

I think you're spot on about Argyriou - or as everyone around me calls him "that Greek cunt".

He's far from Cafu but the boys heart is gold. He never gives up and always puts in a shift. Going forward he was finding space every time up that wing today, most of the time he was ignored but he kept pushing ahead and offering the overlap. Shiels looked greatly uninterested for long periods of the match and it was Anestis who supplied the ball for his goal. He deserves the plaudits.

As for McKay, the excitement that boy brings to the team! Every time he's on the ball you know what he's capable of. He absolutely roasted that left-back in the first half in front of the Enclosure. His crossings improving every week, its just a shame he can't apply that to his corners. Albeit he isn't the only one. I'm seriously beginning to question whether the side actually practice set-pieces in training; they can be vital. We never seem prepared and we never seem to have anything ready. That needs to change and I'm sure it will.

Hegarty was solid, despite a near fuck-up in the 2nd half, but he recovered very well. Black and Hutton are a terrible pair for the middle of the park but they're coping well. The only 'negative' I'd give to Ally today is that it was blatantly obvious they should have been played the other way around i.e. Black in the holding role spraying the passes and Hutton pushing forward. He's very underestimated running with the ball towards goal. Templeton played well again but every now and then the game just seems to be going that bit too slow for him to really capitalise.

All in all, there was some occasions where it looked like we'd scrape another 1-0 but Rangers impressed greatly today. Far more positive going forward, we kept the ball very well for long periods of the game rather than panicking and hoofing it forward, and all four goals were fantastic. Really enjoyed that today. Well done, Rangers, and well done, McCoist.

Yep, playing players in their positions seemed to help. Who would have thought?

It wasn't a vintage performance but it was certainly one of our better efforts and I'm satisfied with that. If we can kick on from here and continue to improve then I'd be delighted.

Agree with what the OP said also feel that having a smaller lone striker also helped today was less route 1. Don't know if it was coincidence or what with the ball being on the deck more that Black and Hutton were both more influential than previous weeks.

Biggest difference today was definately players playing in their natural positions.

But no doubt we will be all over the place when everyone is fit and available.

I really hope this isn't the case...I think anyone with a degree of football knowledge could see the difference it made today having a natural right back and players more accustomed to playing in the wide areas.

I also think hegarty (barring a few bad touches) was alot more solid than perry has been and I will be pretty pissed off if perry comes straight back in next week and hegarty is shifted to right back...hopefully lessons have been learnt today.

Op . His name is Argyriou . It's not hard to say and it certainly isn't hard to spell you cunt .

All this "the Greek " patter is pathetic .

Who the fuck do you think your speaking to prick?

Calling someone a cunt for referring to a player as "the Greek"?

Its quite obvious I was talking to you , hence the op at the start of my post .

You are fucking pathetic....referring to a fellow bear as a cunt online for that? You need to get a fucking grip!

I would love you to call someone a cunt to their face for referring to a player as the Greek (a well accepted jovial name for him for us who actually go to the games) and see what happens to you...easy to be the hardman behind a keyboard!

I think the vast majority would agree that today (especially in the second half) was the best performance the players have produced for a number of weeks. Now like a bad performance, in isolation, it doesn't mean alot and we all want to see consistency and progression in our play and performance. However it certainly was a vast improvement and much more enjoyable than recent fair.

Now as the title suggests I have a pretty simple view as to why our performance was improved today. Yes there are a number of factors that can affect a performance, predominately geared around the attitude of the players but for me two very important issues were addressed today;

1/ Players playing in their natural positions - I, like most of you, get frustrated when we try to shoehorn players into positions and formations that they are not suited to. I think it was pretty evident today how much more comfortable a number of players were playing in positions and in a system they were more accustomed to. Yes there will be an argument that players should be able to play in various positions but for me, in our current circumstance we should keep things simple and pick players for the position and not the other way about.

2/ Addressing the issue on our Right hand side - Im not wanting to come accross like I know more than anyone else, I certainly don't, but for the past month I have posted the exact same thing in match day threads about our line-ups, relating to the clear issue on our right side. For the past few weeks it has been so clear that all our attacking play was being stifled in the final 3rd because we had no width on the right. With Hegarty at right back he wasnt offering himself on the overlap and with little at right mid, he was always looking to cut in which in turn slowed down our play as we didnt have the option right and forced the majority of our attacks down the left.

Today there was a vast improvement in this area. Say what you want about the Greek, he's not the best, but as a natural right back with lots of energy he does make a big difference for us in the final 3rd even if he doesnt get the ball. By being an option on the overlap he occupies a defender and creates space for our attacking players centrally (see how much more involved Sheils was today in advanced areas). Having 2 more naturally wide players today also allowed us to keep possession and create opportunities in advanced areas.

As I say there are other factors that would have affected todays performance (Albear85 making an apperance might be the trick :sherlock: ) but to me at least these 2 issues were very noticeable improvements. I am hopeful that although he was "forced" into this by injuries Ally will learn from today and use it as a platform to build on. Was happy to see the 3 youngsters get some game time from the bench and in the remaining games I hope to see more of them getting a run.

Added bonus I had a fiver on 4-0 so first rounds on me tonight! :7325:

Guiness